PDA

View Full Version : beginner on pc w/dacp?

Pages : [1] 2

cheapshot
09-17-2004, 09:51 AM
hello, i have a few questions, i plan of detailing a black 97 vw jetta.

i just tested out some dacp(w/meg burgandy cutting) and some #9. (w/polishing pad) on a section of the hood. i did a section 3 times witht he dacp, before the swirls were removed? as the swirls disappeared i noticed fine looking pubic like hair marks in the paint (only visable under 500watt halogen) i followed up with the #9 and it took me 4-5 shots with the stuff to remove this? any recommendations?

how large a section?

what amount of product?

what pc techniques do i use?

how long to work the dacp?

at what speeds do i start and finish?

i know these questions sound silly, but i`m new to this, and really want to learn as much as i can.

the finish looks very slick and smooth, and there are a few large scratches that i know are not going anywhere, but i must be doing something a lil` off, what are these lil` hair marks? and what should i follow them with?, because #9 took forever, it`s more of a finishing polish. thanks

Accumulator
09-17-2004, 10:32 AM
Cheapshot- Nah, your Qs aren`t silly at all. IMO you`re probably doing everything right (including not worrying about the worst of the scratches :xyxthumbs ).

Heh heh
...pubic like hair marks... heh heh heh [/Beavis voice]

The DACP/cutting pad removes marring but also *leaves* [b]micromarring, especially when used by PC (rotary applications are different, according to Mike P. from Meg`s). And, as you found, the #9 is *so* mild that it takes a while for it to remove the micromarring.

Next time, you might try following the DACP/cutting with something a bit stronger, maybe #80 (but still using a polishing pad).

Do make sure you`re working the DACP long enough for it to basically turn to powder/disappear. The longer you work it the more it breaks down, hence the less follow-up work you need to do with milder products.

stevet
09-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Cheapshot,

You asked this exact same question in another thread a couple days ago. I answered it then. I gave you pretty much the same advise Accumulator gave you. You need to follow the cutting pad with a stronger combo than #9 + polishing pad. You could have did DACP + cutting pad than followed with DACP + polishing pad and then #9 + polishing pad. Or you can use #80 like Accumulator said. The point is you need to follow the DACP + cutting pad combo with a more aggresive combo than #9 + polishing pad.

cheapshot
09-17-2004, 03:03 PM
thanks Accumulator, does #80 have any fillers? i just found out that #9 has fillers, but i really want to try and remove what i can then, mybe fill. i was thinking #82 for some reason, where could i locate an abbrasive chart for this stuff. i know dacp is a level 6 and the #9 is a level 3. what would the levels be for # 80 and #82?

steve, i am new to this and i got really no replys to the other post except for you, thanks buy the way. also i have many other questions that have not been answered.

i am just starting out with this machine this will be my second car, since buying the machine, last year. i still have lots to learn.

if there are any posts that will help me out add the link because i tried searching, and couldn`t find anything. thanks

Bill D
09-17-2004, 03:08 PM
meguiarsonline.com is a forum all about Megs products. You can get additional info there too.

04BlackAV
09-17-2004, 03:16 PM
If you want to make sure what you see is what you get,just go over the area with an isa/water 50/50 mix(spray and wipe) and this will remove any oils or fillers.Or get some finishing polishes with out any oils or fillers like FP2 or SSR1.:D

Accumulator
09-17-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by cheapshot

thanks Accumulator, does #80 have any fillers? i just found out that #9 has fillers, but i really want to try and remove what i can then, mybe fill. i was thinking #82 for some reason, where could i locate an abbrasive chart for this stuff. i know dacp is a level 6 and the #9 is a level 3. what would the levels be for # 80 and #82?

If #80 has any fillers they`re not much to worry about. It really *does* mechanically abrade the marring away.

#80 is more aggressive than #82, which is only a *little* bit more aggressive than the #9. I`d go with the #80 myself. I dunno about the Meg`s chart, it had some errors on it and I think the #80 was one of the products that was incorrectly categorized.

It goes (strong to mild): #83, #80, #82, #9. The #80 is much more user-friendly than any of the others. You just work it until it changes from its gross original color to clear (or sometimes pink). It will leave a ready-to-wax finish.

The Meg`s forum site is good if you have Meg`s-specific questions, just bear in mind that a lot of people there think that Meguiar`s products are the best ;)

JasonD
09-17-2004, 03:52 PM
I love how Meg`s uses the numbering system there, but boy would it be easier if the numbers actually went in order.

Accumulator
09-17-2004, 06:22 PM
JDookie- LOL, yeah, and it would be nice if every manufacturer used words like "polish" and "glaze" the same way too :D

cheapshot
09-17-2004, 06:40 PM
you guys rock, so i think i`ll place and order for, let`s see #80, #82, a cutting, polishing and 2 finishing pad. i`m going to go broke! but i want that jetta to shine.

after the #80, should i follow with the #9?

also what do you guys think about the #7 if the car has lots of scatches? before the a-i-o goes on.

anything else you guys think i should order?

work speeds do you work the dacp at?

do i work it "till it`s dust"? because i also heard that you don`t want it to dry on you. thanks again

Accumulator
09-17-2004, 06:55 PM
If you`re getting the #80 and you already have the #9 I wouldn`t bother with the #82.

No need to use anything like #9 after the #80. Just work it until it`s clear (or pink) and it`ll leave a ready-for-AIO finish.

I`d expect the AIO to clean off any fillers from the #7 so I wouldn`t expect the #7 to hide anything.

If you`re ordering Meg`s stuff I`d get some #16, but I just love that stuff. You can never have too many polishing pads, IMO. The Ultimate Wipes and bonnets are pretty good too.

I`ll let somebody with more DACP experience answer the other Qs, but I`ve always heard to work it until it`s gone to powder.

cheapshot
09-17-2004, 08:15 PM
Accumulator, thanks for all your help and advice.

i just placed the order and got hooked up big time. i don`t know if it`s all the competition these days, or if the guy there just liked me, but i got $70 worth of stuff for $39.95

the stuff will be arriving next week sometime, i`ll post some pics if i can, i`ll have to borrow my bro`s or my friends camera.

cheapshot
09-22-2004, 05:58 PM
ok i am a bit frustrated, i tried to remove the micro marring and i got it down a bunch very hard to see, even with a 500w halogen. i worked the dacp till it was well, dust! it worked, i followed with #80 and then did the 50/50 mix and a mf towel, i found this combo didn`t do much at all. whats my problem? or is it the products?

JasonD
09-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Hmmm, what pads are you using and at what speed?

cheapshot
09-22-2004, 08:21 PM
pc with meg yellow polishing pad. i spread the product on setting 3 kicked it up to 5 and polished till it was dust. switched to a new meg yellow polishing pad, then i spread the #80 on 2 kicked up to 4 and polished till it was clear. anyone?