PDA

View Full Version : These guys are NASTY

SVR
09-17-2004, 04:40 AM
My friend Jason, vice president and fellow member of Falcon car club SA has been struggling to get work and in desperation, got a job at a coin op and valet car care place in the heart of Adelaide in South Australia

I dropped in to give him some business cards for my detailing and couldn`t believe what I saw.

There are a bunch of kids who don`t know anything about detailing but were working on a holden monaro/pontiac gto when I arrived. Jason sprays on an acid wheel cleaner and then does the fastest high pressure rinse I`ve ever seen and then dips a nylon floor broom into a 20 litre container of full strength truck wash and goes over the body. The car then goes into a chamois material washing machine and is then detailed by the kids

They use normal rags and alcohol window cleaner on tinted windows and not a microfibre cloth to be seen anywhere

It`s seriously nasty. They come up clean but nothing compared to what I or you awesome guys do.

People pay $30 dollars for the crappiest valet service ever.

I bet they don`t even do linear motion process when wiping the paint.

It`s shocking that there are places like this

Hopefully though, those people with an AUDI, Mercedez Benz and porsche who spoke to Jason last week will come back. He told them about me and what I do

These cars were mark free and it would be reasonably easy to do a light paint prep and finish with sealants

Would drive me crazy working there. If those kids there damage a prestige car, especially one with PPG ceramiclear paint,they might get in deep trouble. Possibly sued

The products and rags at that place are so harsh, I`m amazed that they haven`t damaged some already.

6cyl's_of_fury
09-17-2004, 04:53 AM
Yeah, but once you pre-pay for the service, you basically waive any avenue of re-course as you have accepted there terms and conditions which kill any chance of coming back on them for any damage to the paint.

Besides, as long as its clean, most people dont give a s**t about swirls. Just look around at the cars you see driving around on the roads....

SVR
09-17-2004, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by 6cyl`s_of_fury

Yeah, but once you pre-pay for the service, you basically waive any avenue of re-course as you have accepted there terms and conditions which kill any chance of coming back on them for any damage to the paint.

Besides, as long as its clean, most people dont give a s**t about swirls. Just look around at the cars you see driving around on the roads....

I thought they would pay afterwards, I`d certainly never pay a detailer prior to doing work on my car (if i ever did)

True though about the owners of most daily driven cars on the roads.

There is another site starting up soon which Jason wants to work at. The owner of the current site wants to do hand washing and better detailing there. I will be inviting him to my detail day which is coming up in december as part of falcon car club summer events

Peter Crowl
09-17-2004, 08:47 AM
What you are witnessing there is what we here call a Full Service Car Wash...as opposed to a Coin Wash or Touchless which is what the gas stations usually have.

It is brutal...but I`ve used them before I became aware...in a winter climate they`re sometimes the only way to keep a car clean and in Wisconsin with salt and sand all the time - back then anyway - it`s the marks or the rust take your pick,

As to the demand for this service...here on a nice Saturday in Winter you can`t get near the places.

There are a couple of places that represent themselves as being a better quality service...I`ve not tried them...nor am I likely to now.

Usually you see Soccer Moms and business men with cell phones glued to their ears waiting impatienly for their cars to be finished...so that tells you the type of person who uses them...but then how many of these cars are leased and not the prized posessions of the owners?

Peter...in Denver

HotRodGuy
09-17-2004, 11:00 AM
sounds like 80-90% of car wash operations out there