PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang site a little harsh?

Pages : [1] 2

JasonD
09-16-2004, 05:12 PM
I was checking out the Wolfgang website and saw this quote in their selling pitch. Is it me or is this a little harsh?

"There are only two means of paint protection: waxing and sealing. Traditionally, the much sought-after, liquid-like, deep shine is attained through a pure carnauba paste wax. But, even car buffs will admit that carnaubas are moderately difficult and time consuming (up to twelve hours to cure!), tend to streak, haze, and deteriorate in high humidity and temperatures, and most have solvents that eventually dry and dull paint. The biggest complaint concerning waxes is their short life span of eight to ten weeks, at best."

JasonD
09-16-2004, 05:34 PM
I`d like to know what "car buffs" they are referring to?

BillNorth
09-16-2004, 07:13 PM
They`re total morons. Too bad they don`t mention how their poor excuse for a sealant can barely eek out 7 weeks.

Yeah yeah, I know, you got 6 months out of it. Excuse me while I go suspend my belief of reality...

Bill.

jimmybuffit
09-16-2004, 07:20 PM
So, lemme get this straight.

They`ve developed a `boutique` product, and they are marketing to the masses.

Sounds like a plan. Not a good plan, but a plan...

Jim

GoodnClean
09-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Personally (don`t kill me) I don`t see a whole lot of durability differences between Carnuaba and Polymer.

MattZ28
09-16-2004, 07:33 PM
It`s typical marketing. What product DON`T you see this with? "This sealant is the best blah blah blah. It will achieve the deepest wet looking shine blah blah blah."

We should all know by now that prep is the main ingredient to a beautiful paint finish.

The durability thing? Well, I don`t know. I`ll have to try it for myself and see how it works on a Florida car that is kept outside 24/7 and never washed. I have the sealant (got it for free from Autogeek), but never tried it. I will do this Sunday.

ZaneO
09-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by MattZ28

It`s typical marketing. What product DON`T you see this with? "This sealant is the best blah blah blah. It will achieve the deepest wet looking shine blah blah blah."

Exactly!

If it bothers you guys so much, don`t read it and don`t use it. Find something in life to do, other than gripe about trivial crap.

Scottwax
09-16-2004, 11:00 PM
I don`t find it any more ridiculous than what I`ve seen on other sites about carnauba melting and how horrible silicones are.

BTW, I still use and like Wolfgang in spite of their somewhat goofy sales pitch.

NavindraLR
09-16-2004, 11:03 PM
that quote from the wg website doesnt even matter to me, cause i wax my car once a month, so why would "durability" from waxes opposed to wolfgang sealant, matter? expectations are always full of s*** on the labels...

SVR
09-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

I was checking out the Wolfgang website and saw this quote in their selling pitch. Is it me or is this a little harsh?

"There are only two means of paint protection: waxing and sealing. Traditionally, the much sought-after, liquid-like, deep shine is attained through a pure carnauba paste wax. But, even car buffs will admit that carnaubas are moderately difficult and time consuming (up to twelve hours to cure!), tend to streak, haze, and deteriorate in high humidity and temperatures, and most have solvents that eventually dry and dull paint. The biggest complaint concerning waxes is their short life span of eight to ten weeks, at best."

MattZ28 - your words were right on the money- it`s all in the prep that`s for sure

#1 - hard to work with - load of BS

#2 - time consuming - 24hrs is the curing time for most sealants so why are they saying 12 hrs is time consuming

#3 - waxes deteriorate in high humidity etc- true but that`s why do two to three step synthetic - carnuaba-carnauba on customers cars (those who want wax)

#4 - dry and dull paint - the 20th century waxes did if you applied alot of it but I doubt today`s waxes are like that

#5 - that`s about as long as some sealants last.

However I really like Wolfgang DGPS- it`s piss easy to use and makes the paint bloody slick and so far is doing a great job.

Wouldn`t use it as a standalone sealant though, either after omikron bodyseal, klasse or poorboys exp for extra slickness and shine

a.k.a. Patrick
09-17-2004, 01:01 AM
I like Wg....end of my speach.....

BillNorth
09-17-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by ZaneO

Exactly!

If it bothers you guys so much, don`t read it and don`t use it. Find something in life to do, other than gripe about trivial crap.

If it bothers you that we gripe, then don`t read the thread. Find something in life to do, other than gripe about our trivial crap.

:wavey

mgm2003
09-17-2004, 07:41 AM
I agree that the marketing is a bit off target, and misleading. I started using WG sealer a month or so ago. It puts on a nice wet looking finish, but as other have said, the slickness goes away after a wash or two. Personally I like FMJ the best of the ones I`ve tried so far -BF, WG, and FMJ. 4* and PB are next on the list.

togwt
09-17-2004, 08:05 AM
Quote: IMO, "harsh" is a word that is usually used in the context of the "brutal truth", so with that in mind, I would say no this isn`t harsh.

Some other words come to mind though, like inaccurate... erronious... misleading...bull$hit...

~One mans opinion / observations~

I totally agree…

But the level of experience / knowledge of most contributors to this site can ‘see’ though marketing hype and/or inaccuracies. Most marketing is aimed at Joe Average who unfortunately believes the hype only because they don’t know any better.

Although I must admit it’s a constant form of amusement…/

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

ZaneO
09-17-2004, 10:08 AM
Bill - LOL :D