PDA

View Full Version : 1st 7424 project

jason102873
09-16-2004, 02:12 PM
My 7424 is in the mail and am trying to formulate a plan to remove my cobbwebs this weekend. Plan: wash, clay bar, wash, 1Z metallic polish, MG#26 yellow wax.

I have a Black RX-8 with factory paint/minor swirls.What should I do if at all to remove the wax that I applied 2 weeks ago.? Do I need to worry about taking off the old wax?What pads should I use for each one part of the job? the 7424 I ordered comes with an assortment of pads ( ordered here at autopia.com), are these OK to use?This is what I have:

-NXT, 3M hand glaze, MG hand polish, MG #26, 1Z metallic polish

s2skimon
09-16-2004, 04:11 PM
from the factory, I would suggest good ole` Dawn wash or Sunlight.

For swirl removing I use orange pads.

I use PB`s SSR2 with orange pad and then clay.

then do the below.

I use the white pad for any pre-sealants

I use the black or grey pad to apply the Sealants

I use a hand applicator for any toppers

then your re-wash use a better soap and you`re good to go

JasonD
09-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Jason,

First of all, by claying the car you will be removing all of the old wax, oils, residue, contaminants, etc. from the paint so after claying it will be fully prepped and ready for polishing.

Looking at the products you have, you really don`t have anything with any kind of "cutting" ability. The three products you mentioned, to be honest, all seem to be in the same category. Out of the three, I own and love the 1ZMP but like I said, it`s really not a defect remover, but more of a paint cleaner/wax. If I were you, I would look into buying either 1ZPP to go before your MP or if you want something local, go with 3M PI III RC. These two products would go great before any of your polishes and remove any defects you have.

As far as the pads, the ones that are coming with your PC will work fine. Just remember to not apply too much pressure, let the pad and product do the work and try not to "lean" on the edges of the pads or the will want to tear.

Orange pad: This is your cutting pad. Using the products from above as an example, this would go with the 1ZPP or 3M RC.

White Pad: Polishing pad. This is going to be your most used pad. Use it with any of your polishes for a great shine.

Black/Grey Pad: Finishing pad. Use this one to apply sealants, waxes, or to get a really smooth finish with one of your polishes. You can also remove sealants and waxes with this pad also, even though it would be better to get the mf bonnets to go over it.

Hope this helps!

EdLancer
09-16-2004, 05:45 PM
Ahhh, do waste your time claying, just use an aggressive polish like Meg`s #83 or 3M`s P-It III RC with yellow pad and polish with Meg`s #82 or #80 with white polishing pad and apply a sealant/ wax with a grey pad.

JasonD
09-16-2004, 05:50 PM
I would still recommend claying, especially if you are going to use the products mentioned above. Here`s a link to a thread recently posted on the subject: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43877

mtodde
09-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

I would still recommend claying, especially if you are going to use the products mentioned above. Here`s a link to a thread recently posted on the subject: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43877

If the car has never been clayed I would recommend claying it too. Not only will it help to remove your old wax, but more importantly it will remove contaminants.

There is a simple test that I learned here on Autopia...take a cellophane wrapper and put you fingers (or hand depending on the size) inside and gently roll the wrapper across your hood. Most likely you will feel a lot of little bumps...this can be anything from industrial fallout to rail dust to tree sap to bug droppings - all stuff that is hazardous to your paint. If you don`t feel anything you may not need to clay, but I`ve never felt a car that was 100% smooth. Since your paint is new you`ll be starting off the right way...the more you take care of your paint now, the better it will be down the road.

This will also help to make you finish look and feel like glass!