PDA

View Full Version : Little known Waxes

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_bckpack
09-16-2004, 08:31 AM
Does anyone have any experience with some little known, harder to find waxes? Maybe something along the lines of Collinite? Products without huge marketing but still do a good, if not great job.

As an example, on the spit-shining posts from a while back David B mentioned Beauty Shine Pink Carnauba. I`ve placed an order for some along with their Blue Carnauba wax. I obviously don`t need 15 different waxes but I figure, why stop now?

Glossequation
09-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by bckpack

Does anyone have any experience with some little known, harder to find waxes? Maybe something along the lines of Collinite? Products without huge marketing but still do a good, if not great job.

As an example, on the spit-shining posts from a while back David B mentioned Beauty Shine Pink Carnauba. I`ve placed an order for some along with their Blue Carnauba wax. I obviously don`t need 15 different waxes but I figure, why stop now?

Outside of Autopia, #16 is a wax that not many know if that is damn near impossible to find in stores. Its also very very good.

Bill D
09-16-2004, 08:41 AM
TOL`s Pizazz, the anti static (?) waxes from Finish Kare, Victoria Wax, I`m sure there`s 100+ more Havent used any of these, just some Im aware of.

imported_bckpack
09-16-2004, 09:18 AM
I guess I`m thinking of something of an "old style" wax, like #16 or Collinite 476. A heavy carnauba presented in a tin would be excellent. Using these waxes really makes me feel like I`m really protecting my car. I guess I`m old school when it comes to that. Of course these waxes go over Poorboys and Clearkote prep products:) .

Bobby G
09-16-2004, 09:43 AM
I find it odd that the dinosaurs, carnauba paste waxes, are among the most frequently discussed products on Autopia. Why is this? Will carnauba wax ever die?

If Klasse, Zaino or NXT came in a paste form, would you choose it over the liquid? If so, why?

I do admit to finding some comfort in holding a can of wax and dabbing at it with an applicator to massage into my paint. There`s something soothing about it.

db

Peter Crowl
09-16-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by bckpack

I guess I`m thinking of something of an "old style" wax, like #16 or Collinite 476. A heavy carnauba presented in a tin would be excellent. Using these waxes really makes me feel like I`m really protecting my car. I guess I`m old school when it comes to that.

"...a Blue Coral wax job ... sure looks pretty...gonna get my chick and make it out to Drag City.."

Drag City... Jan & Dean exhaulting the state of the art ... December 1963

Sometimes Old School is best when kept in the rear view mirror.

Peter..in Denver

imported_bckpack
09-16-2004, 10:18 AM
If Klasse, Zaino or NXT came in a paste form, would you choose it over the liquid? If so, why?

Possibly. I have to admit, the main reason I`ve never tried, or even wanted to try Zaino is that the application methods just aren`t "right". That`s just not the way it`s supposed to work. I do have NXT in my arsenal, as well as EX-P and some Megs liguid waxes/sealants.

I do admit to finding some comfort in holding a can of wax and dabbing at it with an applicator to massage into my paint. There`s something soothing about it

I couldn`t agree more. If I could apply some sort of miracle product and it would protect and beautify for years I wouldn`t be interested. What would I be left to do on the weekend?

tom p.
09-16-2004, 10:19 AM
I was in Lappen`s Auto Parts last weekend and saw a broad offering in the "Gliptone" product...far more products than I remember from long ago.

JustinR32
09-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

I find it odd that the dinosaurs, carnauba paste waxes, are among the most frequently discussed products on Autopia. Why is this? Will carnauba wax ever die?

I do admit to finding some comfort in holding a can of wax and dabbing at it with an applicator to massage into my paint. There`s something soothing about it.

db

It`s a function of the forum and the community. It`s tied into a lot of the stuff that is also a point of contention among some members. I`m posting from work, so I can`t dissertate, but I`ll synopsize.

Learning how to do this stuff is a revelation. There`s nothing really magic about it; it`s hard enough to not be obvious, and it requires some skill, but just about anyone who wants to learn to detail can do it. And, the payoff is really rewarding.

So, many of us do it again, and again. And then we do it for friends and neighbors, and it`s not only rewarding to the ego, but also to the pocketbook.

The thing is, the forum is a social place. And, once you`ve learned how to do this stuff, there`s not a lot to talk about. You can only post "Look what I did!" so many times. So, we look for something else to talk about, and the first thing that comes to mind is... product.

Now, I`ve tried a lot of products, and in appearance they`re all really nice. There are differences, but the similarities in appearance from the farthest extremes of products are greater than the differences; the differences are nuance. There are differences in durability, but for most of us here, durability is a non issue. NOT FOR ALL OF US, I know, but for many of us. You Zaino guys, you don`t put that 75th coat on because it will last 5 days longer.

So, why do we try all these really cool products, and why do we go back to the waxes when there are all these sealants?

Because there is a huge range of variation in waxes that isn`t present in sealants; a huge variation in color, scent, packaging, and useage. Face it, one aminofuctional silicone polymer or resin is physically pretty much like the next, and they all smell like chemicals, really. But waxes, waxes all look different (in the jar), smell different, feel different, and are packaged differently. The urge to buy and try different waxes has nothing at all to do with detailing. It is the same thing that drives people to collect stamps, coins, baseball cards, matchbox cars, butterflies, rocks, birdwatching, or whatever. It gets talked and asked about here ad infinitum for that same reason; people like to collect and share information. We like to inspect minor variations. It`s part of the curiosity that makes us humans.

I`d like to write more and give more examples and show more similarities, but I think I`ve covered the basics.

Tom

EBPcivicsi
09-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Mosca

It`s a function of the forum and the community. It`s tied into a lot of the stuff that is also a point of contention among some members. I`m posting from work, so I can`t dissertate, but I`ll synopsize.

Learning how to do this stuff is a revelation. There`s nothing really magic about it; it`s hard enough to not be obvious, and it requires some skill, but just about anyone who wants to learn to detail can do it. And, the payoff is really rewarding.

So, many of us do it again, and again. And then we do it for friends and neighbors, and it`s not only rewarding to the ego, but also to the pocketbook.

The thing is, the forum is a social place. And, once you`ve learned how to do this stuff, there`s not a lot to talk about. You can only post "Look what I did!" so many times. So, we look for something else to talk about, and the first thing that comes to mind is... product.

Now, I`ve tried a lot of products, and in appearance they`re all really nice. There are differences, but the similarities in appearance from the farthest extremes of products are greater than the differences; the differences are nuance. There are differences in durability, but for most of us here, durability is a non issue. NOT FOR ALL OF US, I know, but for many of us. You Zaino guys, you don`t put that 75th coat on because it will last 5 days longer.

So, why do we try all these really cool products, and why do we go back to the waxes when there are all these sealants?

Because there is a huge range of variation in waxes that isn`t present in sealants; a huge variation in color, scent, packaging, and useage. Face it, one aminofuctional silicone polymer or resin is physically pretty much like the next, and they all smell like chemicals, really. But waxes, waxes all look different (in the jar), smell different, feel different, and are packaged differently. The urge to buy and try different waxes has nothing at all to do with detailing. It is the same thing that drives people to collect stamps, coins, baseball cards, matchbox cars, butterflies, rocks, birdwatching, or whatever. It gets talked and asked about here ad infinitum for that same reason; people like to collect and share information. We like to inspect minor variations. It`s part of the curiosity that makes us humans.

I`d like to write more and give more examples and show more similarities, but I think I`ve covered the basics.

Tom

I can`t tell you how well this articulates what I feel about detailing and collecting products.

I just love trying new things.

ALAN81
09-16-2004, 02:15 PM
When you get your Beauty Shine wax(PINK) two things you won`t believe,how big the tin is(very large) and all the samples they give you to try out. Beauty Shine wax is a real good product.

Big Leegr
09-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by ALAN81

When you get your Beauty Shine wax(PINK) two things you won`t believe,how big the tin is(very large) and all the samples they give you to try out. Beauty Shine wax is a real good product.

If you order in Canada (there`s a Canadian vendor, so BKB in California won`t sell to Canadians) you don`t get any free samples.:( They also don`t sell everything from the website. The orders do get shipped quickly, though.

Mike_Phillips
09-16-2004, 02:43 PM
Subscribe...

Mike

Accumulator
09-16-2004, 02:49 PM
bckpack- Heh heh, if you wanna try something like #16 or Collinite I can heartily recommend...both #16 and Collinite :D

I suspect that one (perhaps unspoken) reason whe we like these products is the nostalgia factor. Same reason many of us like certain older cars that don`t really offer any (functional) advantages over today`s offerings.

MattZ28
09-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Good thread :up