PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Specks in Repaint

Cam
09-15-2004, 10:38 PM
Got my car back from the bodyshop this week with an excellent repaint job on the front end. It`s nearly perfect, with less orange peel than the factory paint on the back end. The only thing keeping it from being perfect is some dirt & dust specks caught under the paint. Looks like this (http://www.ppg.com/PDSMaxMeyer/ShowDefect.asp?CurrSel=4&LanguageId=4&IntDialCode=44&ProcessStage=&DefectId=91&ShowPicture=1). Of course, when I look at the car my eyes go right to them... :(

The bodyshop says all they could do is clay and polish, but since insurance won`t pay for it I suspect they`d blast it through the shop as quickly as possible. I cautiously tried some Mother`s clay on a couple specks tonight, and it seemed to smooth the tops off the bumps fairly well. I`d be comfortable doing this for all the spots, but I just want to make sure it`s the right thing to do. Am I setting myself up for future problems? Is there a better way to minimize these flaws? Any help would be seriously appreciated... :bow

CottyGee
09-15-2004, 10:42 PM
I`ve got the same damned thing on my brand new Chrysler 300C - just two of `em tho. FWIW, the owner of the detail shop (the one that sold me Glare) looked at my two spots of dirt and advised doing nothing, since anything he`d do would likely make it worse down the road.

I`ll be curious to see what the opinions are on this one... Friggin` sucks to have something like that happen. :mad: :angry :mad:

imported_edschwab1
09-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Why was the car repainted?

Why will the insurance company not pay for the work?

Did the clay remove the dirt?

Sound like the dirt is in the top layer and should be easily removed using clay, compound, and polish once the paint is cured/hardened. If the dirt is not in the top layer of paint/clear then the panel needs to be prepped to be repainted.

The paint match is not just matching the hue, but the peel of the paint. That way it is harder to tell the car had previous paint or body work.

Eric

imported_edschwab1
09-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by CottyGee

I`ve got the same damned thing on my brand new Chrysler 300C - just two of `em tho. FWIW, the owner of the detail shop (the one that sold me Glare) looked at my two spots of dirt and advised doing nothing, since anything he`d do would likely make it worse down the road.

I`ll be curious to see what the opinions are on this one... Friggin` sucks to have something like that happen. :mad: :angry :mad:

Why was the car delivered with dirt in the paint? I would take the 300C back and request the panel be repainted under warranty. Do you know if the car received any shipping damage? The detailer is correct in saying whatever he does may cause damage down the road, especially if he sands and compounds, you would run the risk of clear coat failure. Reason for failure would be due to the fact factory paint are becoming very thin. Thin paint is cost saving method.

Eric

Cam
09-15-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by edschwab1

Why was the car repainted?

Why will the insurance company not pay for the work?

Did the clay remove the dirt?

The car was in a low-speed collision resulting in the damage shown below. The fender was replaced and the paint was blended across the hood and across the passenger door. Insurance paid for the work, but since the car is a daily driver and not a luxury/exotic, they won`t pay for infinite repaints until it`s Autopia-perfect. I also have realistic expectations of the shops in my redneck backwoods mountain town.

The clay did not remove the dirt, but it smoothed the bump and made it less noticable to the eye and to touch. I expect it smoothed so easily because the paint`s still fresh.

jimmybuffit
09-16-2004, 06:20 AM
I`d be all over the insurance company!

Additionally, what kind of paint shop won`t stand behind their work?

Something`s wrong here!!!

tetz
09-16-2004, 08:15 AM
This is I think the #1 reason you cannot replace original paint.

It is very very difficult to keep dust out of the paint without a

zillion dollar clean room spray booth.

It is such a common problem there is a specific tool made to deal

with them, google search for something called a paint nib file or a dust nib file.

Regarding the one response with the new car with dust under the paint

I would be willing to bet there was a touchup done. I have toured a Ford plant here many times and they have a special area

at the end of the line for paint reworks. It is a plain-old open area. Very scary.

Jon

Jesstzn
09-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Cam

The car was in a low-speed collision resulting in the damage shown below. The fender was replaced and the paint was blended across the hood and across the passenger door. Insurance paid for the work, but since the car is a daily driver and not a luxury/exotic, they won`t pay for infinite repaints until it`s Autopia-perfect. I also have realistic expectations of the shops in my redneck backwoods mountain town.

The clay did not remove the dirt, but it smoothed the bump and made it less noticable to the eye and to touch. I expect it smoothed so easily because the paint`s still fresh.

Just a couple of comments here

A) ICBC wants your full premium don`t they .. If your not happy with the work go to the shop that did it and ask for a repaint .. if they won`t .. go to ICBC and have the claim reopened and have them deal with it. You didn`t insure a car with dirt in the paint .. you shouldn`t get one back.

B) I live in a BC interior town too and when my black B5.5 was painted I expected perfection and recieved it.

C) If your going to take the top off the lump your actually eroding away the thinnest area of the clear and opening it up to failure in the near future.

Take it back to the shop.

Cam
09-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

ICBC wants your full premium don`t they .. If your not happy with the work go to the shop that did it and ask for a repaint .. if they won`t .. go to ICBC and have the claim reopened and have them deal with it. You didn`t insure a car with dirt in the paint .. you shouldn`t get one back.

I was 0% at fault in the collision so my deductible was waived. I`ve been to the shop and they listed an amazing string of excuses and explanations. They said they`d only clay and polish - no way would they do a repaint. From their response, I`m not sure I`d want my car back in that shop. My claim`s open for two years even though I signed off when I picked up the car (on a cloudy, rainy day) so I guess my next stop is ICBC. Thanks!

Jesstzn
09-16-2004, 01:08 PM
BTW what part of BC?

Cam
09-16-2004, 02:08 PM
East Kootenays, and yourself? Whenever I see BC people online, I just assume they`re in the lower mainland! :o

Jesstzn
09-16-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Cam

East Kootenays, and yourself? Whenever I see BC people online, I just assume they`re in the lower mainland! :o

West Kootenays .. I was just over in Cranbrook a couple weeks ago and was to the Fernie car show .. Also was in the Cranbrook Rockin In the Rockies and was second in the poker run.

Cam
09-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

Also was in the Cranbrook Rockin In the Rockies

Whoa that`s crazy. I saw your car in the Tamarack lot - very nice! :up

GoodnClean
09-16-2004, 07:13 PM
Of course the insurance company won`t pay to make it Autopia perfect. They shouldn`t have to pay. Dirt embedded in the paint surface is poor repair work and the shop should repaint the panel free of charge to you, and free of charge to the insurance company. Just because insurance paid for the work doesn`t mean you have to stand for substandard quality. They can probably just sand down the area, buff and re-clear.