PDA

View Full Version : Streaking and Black Hoods

imported_Greg
09-15-2004, 07:33 PM
I have been detailing a lot of cars lately, about 85% of them black BMW`s, but other makes in there as well, but still about 85% black. Every time I wash, clay, polish, then use some sort of LSP. Its usually WG for the time being, but sometimes its S100, #16, LS, or any other product for that matter. I always get streaking on the hoods of these cars. No where else, there are dark patches and lighter patches. Typically, I can go over them with a QD and it will be much improved, but not 100%. I guess I just can`t figure out why I always get this streaking on hoods of black cars. I apply products super thin, use good quality MF, and still have this problem. All of these are on clearcoated cars, my BMW isn`t cleared, and its 100% worse when it comes to streaking? Is SS paint more condusive to streaking because of the oils in these products? I slammed PUPP because it streaked so bad, but Klasse, Zaino, Souveran, S100, LS, NXT all streak really bad, not just on my hood, but everywhere.

If the streaking is really bad, I will just wash it again and it will be gone, but its frustrating and has been really humbling me lately.

Any thoughts about this? Dark dark blue cars never give me trouble, green is no problem, purple no problem, just black!

JasonD
09-15-2004, 07:38 PM
First of all, black will always show the most sins. Second, you really have a odd problem here. Obviously, it can`t be the products because we all use the very same products and don`t have the trouble you are having. So, we need to look at either your technique or choice of applicators and towels. The first place I can of to start, is how are you actually applying and removing the products? Type of towels? By hand? PC?

imported_Greg
09-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Usually PC with a finishing pad for the liquids, MF or foam apps for paste waxes.

sw20_og
09-15-2004, 08:20 PM
I also have that problem with black and red cars...or anything dark w/o metallic for that matter. I find that if you leave the car out in the sun after detailing, the patches disappear...probably by the evaporation of extra product that produce those darker patches.

Jesstzn
09-15-2004, 09:38 PM
Greg when your applying the sealant

a) is the hood the first panel you do?

b) Do you pre wet the applicator with anything?

I do a lot of black /red cars and own a black Passat and use SG/WG/FMJ/Glanz/Zaino and the only issue I ever have is the typical SG haze but thats different.

CRXSi90
09-15-2004, 10:25 PM
I always hate to make a dumb suggestion, but have you tried removing the product with a MF under a foam pad on the PC?

Nickshades
09-15-2004, 11:48 PM
I know that some products tend to react differently with others. Maybe its the process you are using with certain products. I know that Zaino may tend to streak if topped with a sealant I think that`s what a pro told me. I think its something with Zaino that tends to "freak" on the paint and show streaking. I know when i did my dad`s black trailblazer a few weeks ago. After AIO, I wiped off with a MF and Meg`s Final Detail and I was getting some streaking. I topped off with FMJ and it was ok. I don`t know what to tell you, just giving my two cents. :nixweiss

Nick

s2skimon
09-16-2004, 02:58 PM
just had this same thing of "uneveness" and "streaking" doing a black car.

I was using SSR2.5 then SSR1. I had to go over the trunk lid and hood (as those were the most noticeable) about 4 times each.

I basically kept the same amount of SSR1 product on my pad, and did a larger surface.

Then I ensure I did not work it in too too much, but rather a level or 2 before dust. Wipe off with new MF towel.

It took a while, but it all even out and i was satisfied, as well as the owner.

I`ve also found that humidity plays a factor in this streaking ?

I`ve also found that wiping off the product with an MF towel can sometimes cause it.

hope that helps

MattZ28
09-16-2004, 03:15 PM
I have experienced the same thing on the S/S black 1940 Buick...