PDA

View Full Version : Question about the little rubber bump on the 7424 ??

acohen100
09-15-2004, 01:06 PM
When I got my 7424 it had the 5" counterweight. I took it off to replace it with the 6" weight, as recommended. When I took off the 5" I noted a little black rubber bumper-thingy underneath it. When I tried to put on the 6" weight the rubber bumper thing did not allow the 6" weight to sit completely flush on the backing when screwed down - the middle most portion of the weight being somewhat elevated even after being completely tightened. It seemed to be fine with the 5" weight, though, as there was a groove in the weight to accommodate it. I was just thinking that this might be the cause of my excessive vibration. Has anyone else noticed this? What is the purpose of that thing anyway? Should I just cut it off?

JasonD
09-15-2004, 02:32 PM
So you switched to the 6" counterweight and THEN started having major vibrations?

I just installed a 6" counterweight in mine also but haven`t used it yet to see what difference it made. I do remember noticing that the factory 5" had a hole or groove in the middle of it and the new one didn`t. I didn`t pay any mind to it and just stuck the 6" in, which didn`t seem like it fit as well as the 5 did. I`m beginning to wonder what the result is going to be. I can`t really go out and test it right now b/c a hurricane is about to hit us, but I`m sure I will be detailing my butt off after tomorrow!

acohen100
09-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Yeah, exactly. There is a little groove in the 5" weight that accommodates that little rubber bumper on the PC and that groove is not there on the 6" weight and so it does not fit flush when screwed down. I never used the 5" weight so I can;t say if it has gotten worse, as you asked. I immediately removed the 5" and switched it before even using the PC once.

JasonD
09-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Oh okay, well I don`t think we did anything wrong. The pc vibrates a pretty decent amount even with the 5" weight. Actually, the 6.5" pads weren`t too bad with the 5" wieght but when I switched to the 7.5" pads, going over speed 5 was just out of the question. Anyway, I just tightened the 6" counterweight to what seemed to be about the same torque as factory, and I guess I will find out soon how it works.

stevet
09-15-2004, 08:25 PM
I find a 6 inch weight and 5 inch backing plate with 6 inch pads is the best combo for vibration. Also try holding the PC by the head instead of the handle this will reduce the vibration a lot.

acohen100
09-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Ok well I took the whole thig apart again and found that even the 5" weight does not sit completely flush. I tried out all the combinations and found what stevet said to be true...best result was with the 5" flexible backing plate, 6" weight and 6" pads. Cool. Problem solved.