PDA

View Full Version : Most versatile pair of polishes?

4runnerGuy
09-15-2004, 12:53 AM
I bought some VM a couple of weeks ago and have been extremely pleased with it`s performance and look on my new 4runner. However, I`ve been detailing my parents and girlfriends vehilces lately and need a more more agressive polish and then light polish to back it up. So what pair would you choose?

#83 & #81

Menzerna IP and FP

stevet
09-15-2004, 03:02 AM
3M Perfect it III Rubbing Compound and Machine Glaze. Work great with a PC and by hand.

mgm2003
09-15-2004, 07:54 AM
Menzerna IP and FPII are at the top of my list. -Sometimes I start out with a good cleaning via AIO.

JasonD
09-15-2004, 08:14 AM
1ZUPP, PP, and MP here! :bow

1ZUPP is comparable to 3M RC and 3M MG is somewhere between PP and MP, fyi.

stevet
09-15-2004, 08:22 AM
JDookie,

1Z UPP is comparable to 3M PI III RC? I am looking for something more abrasive than the 3m PI III RC to use on really bad cars. I thought the 1Z might be worth a try but now I don`t know. No point if it is that similar to the 3M RC.

JasonD
09-15-2004, 08:27 AM
I`ve used both and the biggest difference between the two (that I can tell) is the UPP contains wax and the RC doesn`t. Unfortunately, I haven`t done a side by side comparison on the same vehicle but I have done many vehicles with both. The differences, if any, are minor.

I can`t imagine you needing anything stronger than PI RC though. Are you using a PC or rotary? If you`re using a pc, I might say to use the same products but switch to a rotary. The PC`s paint repairing abilities are limited, at which point a rotary is the only way to go.

JasonD
09-15-2004, 08:29 AM
Another option would be to try PI III EC RC (05936), that`s one step more aggressive than regular RC.

Accumulator
09-15-2004, 11:22 AM
I *absolutely* would not recommend the 3M PI-III Extra Cut (05936) unless you`ve already tried it and like what it did. I can`t get the stuff to work well, not *nearly* gentle enough no matter how I use it (hand/PC/Cyclo/rotary, you name it). Liquid sandpaper.

The 1Z Ultra/Extra is stronger than the PI-III RC (05933). I use it *before* the 05933 when doing multi-step work on the Audis. It leaves more micromarring than the PI-III RC (using a rotary with it helps a little, but it still needs more follow-up than the 05933).

I too would get the three 1z products, but if you really want to limit it to two, the PI-III RC/MG (05933/05937) should work great. They`re about all I used on a regular basis before getting the 1z stuff and they`re still all I use on the vehicles that get Klassed.

breakneckvtec
09-15-2004, 12:44 PM
I have tried tons of polishes. The easiest, most effective polish I have tried is poorboys SSR2.5. Stuff is amazing. Even on dark colors it breaks down so well I rarely follow with something finer. It removes swirls with ease and leaves a very slick, clear surface. Can also be used on glass, plastic...pretty much anything and in the sun. Removal is easy to, one swipe with a MF and its gone.

AudiOn19s
09-15-2004, 01:14 PM
I have to agree with the above statement that SSR2.5 has to be the one that I got the best resulsts from.

I`ve got Menzerna IP and FP but trying to use them with only a PC at my disposal rather than a rotary I had limited results. Maybe with more experience and a rotary I`ll pick these up again as they come highly recommended BUT with a PC and my limited experience they just don`t cut it for me.

The 1Z line comes very highly recommended but I`ve never used them.