PDA

View Full Version : getting it right the first time

PhillyB
09-14-2004, 10:47 PM
In high school i used to manage an upscale detailshop for a dealership/carwash for my dad. (work at toyota/lexus dealship) Learned how to do a lot there. I would get a lot of side jobs from neighbors and parents. nothing special exterior hand wash and wax/ interior vac and clean. made a couple bucks.

Now finishing up college i`ve been working at this 5 star joint as a valet. driven almost every hot car out there. (SL55 amg 2 and 4 door/ 355 spyder,98...99/ 360 modena 01, berrlinetta 98, M3...dinnen M5... everything) And i`ve been getting some weekly jobs out of it, even doing 2 boats, 38 and 42 footer.

The PC is on the way but what`s a good kit to purchase with it pads and all. Since i`m dealing with different types of cars, with different kinds of problems, any advice on "universal" polsih/wax to stick with, rather than having shelves full of all different products.

sorry for the 101 questions but you guys are the pros and know what works the best

a.k.a. Patrick
09-14-2004, 11:06 PM
A few "must haves", Klasse AIO, Clearkote Vanilla Moose, and your fav sealant or Carnauba. The latter two are so subjective, this thread will end up in a debate if i start mentioning "best of`s".....

Of course your going to need applicators and microfibers, and as mentioned, pads.....

Eliot Ness
09-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

A few "must haves", Klasse AIO, Clearkote Vanilla Moose, and your fav sealant or Carnauba. ............

Patrick, a couple of questions for you. I`ve read that you`ve used Megs Color-X, so how does it compare to AIO, aren`t they very similar in what they accomplish?

And what applications do you use VM for? Wouldn`t 3M`s PI III MG be similar? I`m still trying to figure out where VM and MW fall in relation to other products I`m more familar with.

a.k.a. Patrick
09-15-2004, 09:35 AM
ColorX is a good product, its not quite as versatile as AIO, in other words its not real plastic or rubber freindly, where AIO wont stain. Its a very good cleaner/protectant, and has suprisingly good durability, maybe as good as AIO. Cleaning capabilities are very good as well.

As for VM, i have used it for just about everything, from quick touch up`s, and complete quick touch ups (Whole car brightener, and i mean trim, rubber, plastic), to light cleaning and filling purposes. It can be tricky with sealants though. Carnauba toppers i dont think theres a problem, but sealants, well, ya have to experiment and see what works for you.

Im not real familiar with the 3M your speaking of, so i cant make a comparison.

Moosewax, a great all in one type cleaner/protectant. Takes care of oxidation in short order, and very minor swirls. Can be used in conjunction with VM also......Better durabilty than VM, nut not as durable as Carnauba Moosewax.