PDA

View Full Version : 1 pad for 2 or 3 different scratch removers?

Pages : [1] 2

97FLAIRSIDE
10-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Ok i was wondering this. I need to redo my truck. Im going to be using the ssr2 and then even the ssr1 before I polish my truck. Can I use the same cutting pad for both? I use the megs pad from the starter kit.

John Styrnol
10-26-2004, 04:35 PM
A different pad for each product I believe, but you can use the same pad with the same product more than one time.

Bill D
10-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Yep, exactly. Try to localize one specific product to a dedicated pad as much as possible. Every little thing can count towards a better detail.

97FLAIRSIDE
10-26-2004, 06:56 PM
What would be an upgrade from the megs pads then? Ones that use there backing velcro plate. I`ve seen the edge pads before but dont know which ones to get and use for each product.

rollman
10-26-2004, 07:35 PM
If your talking Edge pads . Blue for finish , green and yellow( yellow being more aggressive) for cutting . No need to change over you can use your velcro plate with the old style velcro pads.

From the Edge web site

Black - Heavy Cut. Very aggressive cutting pad, works fast while reducing risk of burning. For heavily oxidized or
pitted finishes, removes wet sand scratches.

Yellow - Medium Cut. Everyday cutting for average cars, light oxidation. Add compound for a flawless finish on base coats. A must in every detail shop.

Green - Light Cut. Our most versatile pad: buff with light compound on clearcoats, rinse with water, apply polish or wax. Great for humid weather when waxes may cake.

Blue - Finish. Scratchless everyday polishing pad for any surface. Use with wax and polish. Removes swirl marks
and applies a fine gloss.

White - Ultrafine Polish. Ultra-smooth surface, finer than any pad on the market. Creates a bold, crystalline gloss.
For new, exotic or expertly restored cars only.

97FLAIRSIDE
10-26-2004, 07:43 PM
thanks rollman for that info.

jaybs02
10-26-2004, 07:48 PM
If you are happy with the Meg`s pad why change.
I have been using Edge pads and have been happy with them.

So far I have only had to use the polishing pad (blue) with SSR, and used the (white) finishing pads for my sealants.
It`s a combination of product and pad.
If I need to get more aggressive I would use SSR 2.5 on a polishing pad after SSR1 before I go to a cutting pad.
here is a link to lake country`s pad guide.
I hope this helps make sense of what I am saying Pad guide (http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/padappguide.html)
You can use a more aggressive product on the same pad (SSR2 after SSR1) but I would not do it the other way around (you may undo what you have already done)

97FLAIRSIDE
10-26-2004, 07:52 PM
thats why i wanna get some new pads. I dont want to mix and match pads. I usually go from stronger to less strong(ssr3-ssr2or1) so i dont want to have to mix it.

NYV6Coupe
10-26-2004, 09:18 PM
agree with jaybs95, the only way I`d say that it`s OK to use two different products on the same pad without cleaning the pad would be if you started-out with SSR1, found it wasn`t getting the job done, so you switched to SSR2 (more abrasive).

Other than this isolated situation, definitely suggest one product per pad during a detail and try to use only that product on that pad in the future.
Otherwise, clean the pad(s) as well as you can after every use.

derek37
10-26-2004, 10:35 PM
thats why i wanna get some new pads. I dont want to mix and match pads. I usually go from stronger to less strong(ssr3-ssr2or1) so i dont want to have to mix it.

I believe you should start with the least agressive combo first. SSR1 with polishing pad and if needed jump up to SSR 2 or 2.5. Just on observation.

Damn. I can`t get my smilies to work.

AZ Ferrari Man
10-26-2004, 11:18 PM
So then, say If I used a pad once with SS2 and washed it with dawn and rinsed it many times, I cant use it for Klasse or something else? Buying a new pad for every different product can get expensive! Just curious.

Andrew

00Ranger
10-27-2004, 02:25 PM
AZ,
Just as long as you wash and rinse throughly you should be fine.
The ideal way is the way stated above, but unless you are doing just your car with the same X number of products it is a little expensive as you mentioned.

97FLAIRSIDE
10-27-2004, 02:30 PM
Well I guess I wont need to get a new pad if i wont be using the ssr3 anytime soon. But I do need to use a lighter compound to buff back the shine the ssr3 took away.

CharlesW
10-27-2004, 04:36 PM
You will get lots of different opinions on this subject and here`s mine.
1. The Meg`s pads seem to be good pads and work fine for me.
2. If you stick with the Meg`s pads, you don`t have to learn a new color code system for which pad to use for what product.
3. I don`t own a cutting pad and see no reason for me to have one to do my own vehicles. Hopefully, they won`t be bad enough for me to need a pad that is that aggressive.
4. For me a polishing pad for polishes and a finishing pad for applying a sealant or a liquie wax seems to be the best combination.
5. Three step process.
Swirl remover if needed = Polishing pad ** Usually Meg`s #9
Cleaner/Polish = Polishing pad ** Usually Klasse AIO
Sealant/wax = Finishing pad ** Usually 4 Star UPP
Three pads and it`s all covered.

If you choose to use different products at different times, IMO, you need to at least clean the old product from the previously used pads before using them again.
I have a total of 8 pads. Partly because of using different products at times. It is also nice to have an extra pad or two in case you drop one or get into a tar spot and contaminate the pad you are using.
To keep the pads straight, the product for each pad is marked on the Velcro backing of the pad with a Sharpie marker. Doesn`t need to be fancy. For example: Meg`s #9, I mark the pad with a 9, Klasse AIO, a K (only Klasse product I have), The UPP pad gets marked UPP. NXT on the Meg`s NXT pad, etc.
Not too sophisticated but it works for me

Charles

Bill D
10-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Charles I do the same, marking each pad with whatever product used. For Audi paint cutting pads are a must and I suspect this to be the case even if using a rotary if any REAL defects occur. The lighest stuff that will make an impact on both the Audi and the `89 Deville is Menzerna Final Polish, almost always needing something a bit more aggressive first.