PDA

View Full Version : What can I do about mildew smell in vents?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_kgb
09-14-2004, 03:38 PM
When the A/C is on for the first few minutes on my girl friends car it stinks of mildew. I thought there was a product I could use to get rid of this but not sure. What do you all do?

Bill D
09-14-2004, 03:40 PM
I know 1z, among several others, makes a product like that, in a can with a flexible thick tube. The 1z site ought to show it but I have no idea if it`s in the US :nixweiss

I`d take a look over at TOL or autoint.com for other professional solutions.

TN9thSi
09-14-2004, 03:47 PM
You can get the 1Z Klima-Cleaner from the Autopia store. I haven`t used this product myself, but it should at least get rid of some of the odor.

1Z Klima Cleaner (http://autopia-carcare.com/1z961105.html)

tnoy66
09-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Check out detailersparadise.com

einszett Klima Cleaner $9.95

Bill D
09-14-2004, 03:49 PM
Ah ha. That`s the one :up

wash-girl
09-14-2004, 03:53 PM
The first thing to do is look for the cause. You might want to check for TSBs related to a blockage in the air conditioning condensation runoff tube. I know older Jeep Grand Cherokees had just such a problem. If the water is accumulating somewhere, there could be mold or mildew that is causing a smell to come through the vents.

Once you address the core problem, you should be able to eliminate the odor by simply getting some Lysol through the system. To do it properly, find the entrance grate, where air is drawn in from outside. This is often located under the hood, by the wiper cowl, but may be plumbed in some other way. Turn your HVAC system to the "fresh air" or "outside air" position and turn the fan on high. Then spray the Lysol in spurts into the entry point. That should draw it through the system and help with your problem.

Good luck.

--Jim

imported_kgb
09-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks everyone! I just ordered a can!

imported_mirrorfinishman
09-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Something else to think about is always running the air on the fresh air re-circulate mode. That allows the outside air to constantly be cooled and re-circulated thru the vehicle. When the setting is on MAX, in most vehicles, you are only circulating the air within. It`s a good idea to only use the MAX setting when it`s extremely hot.

jasonmac
09-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Yep, Klima-Clean works well, I just used an application this weekend (about half a can).

I also turn off the AC but leave the fan running for the last minute or two of my drive to help dry the condensor and surrounding area. That`s made a huge difference.

Mr. Clean
09-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by jasonmac

Yep, Klima-Clean works well, I just used an application this weekend (about half a can).

Is that the typical amount for this product? 1 can per 2 vehicles?

jasonmac
09-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Clean

Is that the typical amount for this product? 1 can per 2 vehicles?

Yeah, that`s what it says on the can, and I found it to be pretty accurate, at least for me.

imported_Teck
09-15-2004, 04:24 PM
I`ve also heard to turn the AC off a couple minutes before you reach your destination to help get rid of some of the condensation. I`ve been doing this on days I use my AC turn it off 2-3 miles or so before I get home no smell ever yet.

imported_CARFREAK
09-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Yes,it`s fantastic stuff.It works,the long supplied hose allows you to distribute the product to exactly the source of the odour and it smells terrific.You`ll find yourself doing all your cars on a regular basis!

imported_BumpersPlus2
09-15-2004, 04:37 PM
Also try changing the cabin air filter. Also, find a mobile interior guy/gal, and have them run an ozone machine in it for about a hour. Like mentioned before, find the source, eliminate it, and go from there. ALOT of chrysler products have what I call the "dodge smell". Jeeps and Dodge trucks especially.

gnahc79
09-15-2004, 04:38 PM
ditto, cabin air filter. You should be able to swap it out yourself :xyxthumbs