PDA

View Full Version : How do I start?

LittleSmoothJr
09-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Hey guys, I`m new here btu have been reading for quite a while. I am currently an Assistant Manager at Finish Line making only 10 dollars an hour and working 40 hours a week. Myself and two friends are deeply considering starting our own detailing business. All of us have experience detailing our own cars (We each do each others). I have a few questions:

1.) What is the basics of what I need to start my own business?

2.) What is a good starting amount of cash?

3.) How do I get people to come?

4.) What is needed to keep the business going?

5.) Should I continue to work full time at Finish Line, and do this part time?

Any other informatoin that you fine gentleman, and ladies have for three 18 year olds wanting to venture out on their own?

Thanks,

Tom.

Labster
09-14-2004, 02:04 PM
I`m in a similar position and have just started to gain a customer base. The thought of beginning a business with friends can sometimes be a bad idea. Some companies go under because the owners are friends and they can`t agree on things which leads to the companies demise.

Are you going to be in a fixed location or doing it mobile? This is an important question due to the fact that your fixed costs will jump quite a bit if you`re needing to rent or lease a location.

Look for a small business seminar to attend. Some of them are free, others charge a fee but the information that you gain is priceless. You can take the route I went and sit down and talk with successful businessmen that have built their companies from the ground up.

The only cars that you have experience on are your own cars? Go to the local detailing shop and talk to the manager or owner and see if they would be willing to teach you some things. I learned so much in my year working at a shop and it would have taken me God knows how long to learn it on my own.

Maybe you should try doing it PT from the beginning. Going all in might not be such a great idea. Just my .02.

LittleSmoothJr
09-14-2004, 02:16 PM
Thanks a lot for the information. I have contacted all of the area locations around me and none of them are looking for help. There is another guy around here who we are friends with and had done it for a few summers but is now at college, who will be giving us some valuable pointers.

I think wer are going ot be mobile for a few months and then hopefully get our own location. That is our goal.

I feel that is better if I work with my friends, because I know I can trust them. I have a very big trust problem with a lot of people. I am also very negotiable.

Now another question I forgot to ask is, where can I get good products to use at great prices?

Any feedback and informatoin would be greatly appreciated.

Tom.

Labster
09-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by LittleSmoothJr

Now another question I forgot to ask is, where can I get good products to use at great prices?

PM sent with various places.

Mazz
09-14-2004, 10:52 PM
1.) What is the basics of what I need to start my own business?

Basics?

Equipment: Bufferes,polishers,products,pads,towels, extractors, ozone machine(not needed but good to have) shop vacs, location (or trucks if mobile)

2.) What is a good starting amount of cash?

All depends on what you are doing Fixed or mobile. Mobile you will need the truck or van (3,000-20,000) equipment (up to 7,000+) products( $200+) misc ($100+)

Fixed you need a location, power, water, permits, etc

3.) How do I get people to come?

Advertise, word of mouth, Banners on personal cars and trucks(need to always keep them clean then) etc

4.) What is needed to keep the business going?

Clients, money, and most important Quality work

5.) Should I continue to work full time at Finish Line, and do this part time?

Detailing does not make you rich(most of the time) for the time being..keep another job around.

Any other informatoin that you fine gentleman, and ladies have for three 18 year olds wanting to venture out on their own?

This is going to be the hard part. Higher end clients do not like dealing with younger people. Getting insurence and permits will be harder. Finding people serious enough to rent out a garage will be hard, etc.

But hey if you can use the equipment and do it well who knows it can turn out great. Good luck.

Mazz
09-14-2004, 10:53 PM
Also where do you live? Location is a big part of detailing.

Im only asking because if your local i`ll have to put you out of buisness. :p

LittleSmoothJr
09-15-2004, 09:06 AM
hey thanks a lot for the information.

haha, im located in south shore massachusetts. please dont put me out of business before i start :(

Mazz
09-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Well then you also have to remember..if you do this full time mobile. What are you going to do during the winter months. There really isn`t as big of a client base during the winter to keep most companys up and it sucks detailing in snow. So keep another job around to keep you on your feet.