PDA

View Full Version : PI III Finishing Glaze vs. GEPC

imported_prgallo
09-12-2004, 08:58 PM
I plan to use something stronger first (I like the Menzerna IP) then finish with a sealant and wax, how would these two compare, if at all? Maybe the PI III Machine Glaze is more like GEPC...

I love the gloss from GEPC, but gotta keep experimenting and the 3M products are available locally, meaning I can pick them up on the way home another product delivery to the door can be avoided. I`ve exceeded my "quota" of new stuff for the year but have to keep the addiction alive.

FYI, I really love a good carnuaba as a LSP and like the gloss & reflection when using GEPC, whenever I try something that gives a "deeper, wetter look", per detailing boards, my personal preference being what it is just doesn`t like it as much. Although a pure sealant as a LSP just doesn`t work as well as a good wax over a sealant, for me anyway.

imported_Greg
09-12-2004, 09:44 PM
PIII MG is going to be significantly more aggressive than GEPC, more aggressive than even IP IMO.

JasonD
09-12-2004, 10:56 PM
I didn`t think that PI III MG was all that aggressive. I`m not familiar with the two products you guys are talking about but am very familiar with 1Z products, and I was under the impression that MG was between 1ZPP and MP, do you think that`s accurate? And correct me if I`m wrong, but I also thought that 1ZPP was comparable to IP and 1ZMP was comparable to FP?

imported_prgallo
09-13-2004, 04:51 AM
I didn`t think it was that aggresive either, on the Autopia aggresivness list the PI III MG is a 2 along w/AIO and other, the Menzerna IP is a 5 alongg with SSR2/others.

I made some assumptions based on that info that apparently are incorrect.

Anyone experience GEPC and PI III FG and can compare the two?

Accumulator
09-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by JDookie

I didn`t think that PI III MG was all that aggressive. I`m not familiar with the two products you guys are talking about but am very familiar with 1Z products, and I was under the impression that MG was between 1ZPP and MP, do you think that`s accurate? And correct me if I`m wrong, but I also thought that 1ZPP was comparable to IP and 1ZMP was comparable to FP?

I use both the 1Z line and the PI-III MG regularly, and I`d say your assessment of those products is correct. Haven`t used IP, but the MP/FP comparison seems right too. I can`t tell any difference when I use FP after MP, for instance (just a squeaky-clean surface instead of a waxed surface).

originally posted by prgallo I didn`t think it was that aggresive either, on the Autopia aggresivness list the PI III MG is a 2 along w/AIO and other..

That "2" placement with AIO is not, IMO, correct. I`ve used PI-III MG to remove marring that milder products (let alone AIO or GEPC) would never touch. PI-III isn`t too aggressive, but it is an abrasive polish that will mechanically remove imperfections. It`ll even remove them from hard Audi clear, but it needs to be used with a rotary for that. When I had the WRX, PI-III MG was all I ever needed to remove any marring; it`s the only abrasive I ever used on it and that car got driven year round and was washed (none too gently :o ) with a BHB.

imported_prgallo
09-15-2004, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Having the correct expectations of what a product will do and will not do goes a long way to being satisfied with how it performs, and ya`ll have helped me out.

Eliot Ness
09-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by prgallo

I didn`t think it was that aggresive either, on the Autopia aggresivness list the PI III MG is a 2 along ........

I think the confusion is because two of 3M`s products are rated as a 2 (I don`t know anything about these two):

3M PERFECT-IT III TRIZACT MACHINE GLAZE 05930

3M IMPERIAL MACHINE GLAZE 05991

While the MG most of us are talking about is rated as a 4:

3M PERFECT-IT III MACHINE GLAZE 05937

imported_prgallo
09-15-2004, 06:52 PM
You`re right! I misread the products, sometimes I get so confused...

Thanks!