PDA

View Full Version : Cobbwebs...HELP

jason102873
09-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Just bought a 2004 Black RX-8. It`s been on the lolt for a while, so the first thing I did was to: wash, clay bar, wash, NXT application twice. Still had some cobb webs. 3 Weeks later Decided to try a good polish so : wash, clay bar, MG #81 Prof. hand polish, then MG #26 yellow wax.

There are no real "swirl marks", but definitely cobb webs when looked at closely. all the above products claim to get rid of minor surface defects, but have failed to do so. i am very much a novice with my first black car and am debating whether or not to by a dual action buffer. So the questions I have are these:

---Should I buy a buffer and if so, which one?

---How should I go about using a buffer for the first time?

---How do I learn to use a buffer without making my paint job worse?

---What products(polishes, waxes, glazes, pads, etc) should I use?

Hand work is killing me without the results I would like to see. Help!!!

Bill D
09-12-2004, 05:15 PM
Welcome to Autopia Jason :wavey

I suggest you look at the articles in the Learn section up top and also download David B`s Autopia ebook. This reading will you get you started to understanding how to polish. I also recommend you search around the forums for tutorials on how to polish with the Porter Cable 7424 known here as the PC. Easy once you get the hang of it, no worry about burning paint.

Good luck with your detailing

Accumulator
09-12-2004, 05:56 PM
jason102873 - Welcome to Autopia! Yeah, every product promises to solve all your problems, huh? Do a bit of research here, and then get a polish with some abrasives in it. MANY to choose from, I like the 1Z line or the PI-III stuff from 3M. I generally use the 3M stuff on our Mazda, but the 1Z line is just *great*, especially for people with limited prior experience. Check these products out, I`m sure you`ll have more questions once you do.

There are two machines I`d recommend, the Cyclo and the PC. Do some research on them, we discuss them all the time. Either one is virtually foolproof and will be a big help. Anybody can get the hang of it in a few minutes, there`s nothing to worry about except the cost.

Hope this doesn`t sound too much like a "go search" response :o I genuinely think you`ll get the best education/intro to this stuff if you take Bill D`s advice on the "Learn" function and the wealth of info that`s available. Check out that stuff and the products/polishers I`ve mentioned and get back to us with some more questions.

JasonD
09-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Here`s a few links to get you started, but before you fill up the next few hours learning, I`ve got a question. Are the cobwebs minor paint defects or is it clearcoat failure? If it resembles anything like clearcoat failure and it sat on the lot for a while they might have let bird droppings sit on the paint and your brand new car has permanently damaged paint. You might want to decide if you should go back to the dealer for compensation of some kind or to just tackle this yourself. Either way, here`s some links to the info mentioned above. By the way, I also love all the Einszett (1Z) products and the 3M PI RC like Accumulator. Excellent products :up

Autopia How-To section (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+zvHcbu+how-to.html+)

Autopia Polish and Polishers (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+zvHcbu+dual-action-polishers.html+)

And then, of course, you can download the Ebook which is also full of great information.

jason102873
09-12-2004, 09:16 PM
I would consider them minor, but just enough to get under my skin. It doesn`t look like anything that would be caused by bird droppings, maybe just poor choice in cleaning/drying technique

JasonD
09-12-2004, 09:22 PM
it sounds like you should have no problem getting them out then. Did you get a chance to look at the how-to section, or download the ebook? You are going to just LOVE the amount of information you will find in there. Also, join the Autopia Buyer`s Club if you haven`t done so already. I`m sure you will be buying some gear soon so you may as well save a little money while you are at it. The link is supposed to be on the home page, but I haven`t found it yet. I did a search for it and found it that way.

You very well may already have the correct products, you just need the PC 7424 to help you the rest of the way.

Bill D
09-12-2004, 09:25 PM
I third the recommendation about 3m PI III and 1z. two of my favorite product lines :up