PDA

View Full Version : What would you call this (picture attached)???

mo_dingo
09-12-2004, 05:01 PM
I recently decided to tackle my paint problem. It`s the factory paint, and lived in the California sun for all its life.

These marks are rampant on my hood. Most are the size of a pencil eraser, but some are much bigger. What are these called? When you look at them really close, you want to call them spider webs! But I know that term is already in use for specific swirl marks.

I bought a Orbital buffer (3800 OPM), and used Meguiars 3-step "deep crystal" system; The "Paint Cleaner" is the most agressive of the 3 compounds. The marks are still there, but are about 10% less noticeable now. This is not sufficient.

I don`t want to get a PC yet (saving for H/C/I), so I want to try to use what I have. But if it`s absolutely necessary, then I will get one.

What is it going to take to get these "marks" off of my hood? Is wet sanding inevitable?

Thanks for you suggestions!

Scott

Jonny_venus
09-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Etching from bird S**t?

PK

mo_dingo
09-12-2004, 05:09 PM
That is what I was thinking too. The problem is the hood is riddled with them, and the sizes are varying from the one pictured, to the size of a pencil eraser.

Thanks!!

Scott

Setec Astronomy
09-12-2004, 05:17 PM
I agree that they are bird crap marks. I have some on my car. Unfortunately, I think you will find, particularly if you look at it under magnification, that the paint really wrecked in that spot, the white areas being where the paint is cracked/gone and wax/polish/dirt has replaced it (the whole area being crazed). I think if you attack it too agressively, the "good" paint that is holding the area together will let go, resulting basically in a larger spot down to the primer/metal. IMO, you will have to live with it.

PS what is H/C/I?

ptownTSI
09-12-2004, 05:28 PM
unfortunately if those are lighter spots that are showing, and if you look or feel an indentation or f your fingernail catches on the paint all the polishing in the world wont fix it. the paint has been etched down to the primer and needs a repaint. I have two of those on my hood, and just have to live with it.

the best you could do is to clean it best as you can, and take a toothpick and dot in your vehicles touch up paint. let it cure, then polish it once you have built up the area`s. thats all you can do aside from having it repainted.

mo_dingo
09-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

I agree that they are bird crap marks. I have some on my car. Unfortunately, I think you will find, particularly if you look at it under magnification, that the paint really wrecked in that spot, the white areas being where the paint is cracked/gone and wax/polish/dirt has replaced it (the whole area being crazed). I think if you attack it too agressively, the "good" paint that is holding the area together will let go, resulting basically in a larger spot down to the primer/metal. IMO, you will have to live with it.

PS what is H/C/I?

Heads/Cam/Intake. I can`t have a nice looking car that only runs a 15 sec quarter mile, no can I???? :lol

BTW, I loved "Sneakers". Great movie!

So you think the clearcoat is completely gone, and the white that is underneath is actually the primer? Ouch!

I wish I would have looked at this car more carefully before I bought it. I was too busy thinking about the bad clutch, no a/c, and faded top to even notice it.

Well, if anyone else has an opinion, please post. I don`t want to "live with it", but if I have to, then I will just add a new paint job to the list of things I need to do to the car.

Scott

mo_dingo
09-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by ptownTSI

unfortunately if those are lighter spots that are showing, and if you look or feel an indentation or f your fingernail catches on the paint all the polishing in the world wont fix it. the paint has been etched down to the primer and needs a repaint. I have two of those on my hood, and just have to live with it.

the best you could do is to clean it best as you can, and take a toothpick and dot in your vehicles touch up paint. let it cure, then polish it once you have built up the area`s. thats all you can do aside from having it repainted.

I cannot feel the marks with my fingernails. That is why I was hoping this was only a surface imperfection and some buffing/wet sanding would fix it.

Scott

DaGonz
09-12-2004, 05:57 PM
It`s the beginning of clearcoat failure.

medic159
09-12-2004, 06:03 PM
I`m sure it`s clearcoat separation. There is no mistaking that "look."

mo_dingo
09-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by DFTowel

I`m sure it`s clearcoat separation. There is no mistaking that "look."

So what can I do? Can I wet sand??? What are my options????

Scott

lpquick
09-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Yes, from your pictures it looks like the clear coat is starting to separate. Nothing you can do to fix it, sorry! Time like you said to add a new paint job to the list...:shocked

imported_edschwab1
09-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Gonzo0903

It`s the beginning of clearcoat failure.

I vote for CC failure. Cure, find top level painter, to repaint the car.

Eric

Setec Astronomy
09-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by mo_dingo

So what can I do? Can I wet sand??? What are my options????

Scott

Although I agree with the others that there is nothing that you can do, I don`t agree that you HAVE to do anything. I think it will take a long time before it changes or gets any worse. Of course, if you can`t live with it, you need to do something.