PDA

View Full Version : VM comparables?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JasonD
09-11-2004, 06:03 PM
I`ve been reading a lot about ClearKote`s Vanilla Moose lately and no matter how much I tell myself I don`t need this, I keep hearing about uses of this product that just blow my mind. It comes highly recommended for polishing chrome (specifically designer wheels), and now I just saw 1cleanws6 use it on glass!

This is my dilema. I hate having a million products all over the place. It`s great to have a garage full of products when you are posting pictures on here for bragging rights, but to be honest it`s a waste of money to have five products that do the exact same thing. My question is, does any other mainstream product do pretty much the same thing as VM? I`d like to see what most of you say, and hopefully a product that I already own will pop up.

Intercooled
09-11-2004, 06:43 PM
I agree with JDookie, what makes VM so great as compared to similar products?

Also which VM product are most of you guys using? The Glaze, Carnauba wax or cleaner wax? I usually only see the "VM" when you guys are posting.

JasonD
09-11-2004, 06:47 PM
Intercooled,

VM is a ClearKote product called Vanilla Moose which is a polish/hand glaze. They also make others products like Moose Wax, and Carnauba Wax but when you see VM, they should be referring to actual Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze.

I`m always hearing about how good VM is and I`m thinking it must be because of the combination of cleaning properties and wax. How much different is it than say, 1Z MP?

Accumulator
09-11-2004, 08:45 PM
The MP is more of an abrasive polish with wax in it, the VM is more like a sorta aggressive cleaner-wax, or a glaze with some minor cut and great durability. A better comparison might be VM and 1z WaxPolish Soft. Or you could say that VM is like P21s GEPC only it offers some lasting protection.

Speaking as someone who has all this stuff on the shelf, the VM doesn`t get used all that much (but hey, that`s just me). If you want to try something that`ll get *used*, I`d go with the PI-III MG we`ve been discussing.

VM is a nice product (by hand or PC), but as I said, mine just doesn`t get used all that often.

JasonD
09-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Beautiful, that`s the answer I was looking for. Just to make sure, PI III MG is okay to use on glass and chrome wheels, right?

thinksnow
09-12-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by JDookie

Beautiful, that`s the answer I was looking for. Just to make sure, PI III MG is okay to use on glass and chrome wheels, right?

A different floating of the boat here. I use VM interchangeably with AIO. AIO has no "cut" to it, but I don`t get much "cut" out of the VM either.

I use both for *great* versatility and slickness.

MG is not going to add any protection, unlike AIO or VM, if you are going for a one-step. I`ll second the WPS as a possible alternative.

carcrazy22
09-12-2004, 01:52 AM
How about Poorboy`s PwC ? I used it on paint, chrome and wheels. Liked it so far.

vinnymack
09-12-2004, 03:21 AM
I agree.. VM is very similiar to s100 GEPC ..but has more wetness

JasonD
09-12-2004, 11:13 AM
So the conclusion here is that there are indeed products that do the same job as VM like I thought. You guys have just named four different products that I already own, so I don`t see the point in buying VM at this time. Thanks guys!!:up

imported_DetailGirl
09-12-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by vinnymack

I agree.. VM is very similiar to s100 GEPC ..but has more wetness Exactly. But much more slickness!

Accumulator
09-12-2004, 11:32 AM

I wouldn`t use it on those for anything except cleaning as it doesn`t leave any protection behind.

I haven`t actually *used* the MG on them that I recall, at least not intentionally. I`ve had to wipe some off glass and chrome and it didn`t mar them. Note that glass and chrome polishes are usually more abrasive that what you`d use on your paint (someone correct me on this if the stuff I`ve used is different from the norm).

AudiOn19s
09-13-2004, 07:16 AM
I`ll throw ColorX out there in the mix. I too have been reading all of the hype on VM and would like to try some out BUT with AIO and ColorX already giving me some redundancy in my lineup I`ll put that one on the christmas list for now as I don`t immediatly need it.

a.k.a. Patrick
09-14-2004, 07:23 AM
Also keep in mind, VM wont stain trim peices. Its also recommended for using on trim peices as a cleaner, protectant....I dont know of any other product other than a rubber/vinyl protectant that does that....

imported_NHBFAN
09-14-2004, 07:23 AM

it`s a waste of money to have five products that do the exact same thing.

I agree:up

Besides that I`m trying to keep my supplies in a Toyota Corolla so space is a big concern.

VM is one of my favorite products, but it`s fairly expensive when you factor in the shipping costs. That`s why my main staple is PwC which I buy in gallon sizes. I no longer use VM on windows and wheels, there are less expensive products suitable for these applications.

stevet
09-14-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

Also keep in mind, VM wont stain trim peices. Its also recommended for using on trim peices as a cleaner, protectant....I dont know of any other product other than a rubber/vinyl protectant that does that....

AIO does. I use it all the time on trim. Works great.