PDA

View Full Version : Which 3M product to buy?

Pages : [1] 2 3

JasonD
09-11-2004, 12:16 PM
I was looking at the 3M website (http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GS98DLQLRZge/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html) and see that there are quite a few different rubbing compounds to choose from like: Perfect It II, Perfect It III, Imperial, Super Duty, Perfect It 3000, etc. They all sound like great products but which one is the best for PC appliation?

stevet
09-11-2004, 12:22 PM
I use and really like Perfect It III Machine Glaze and Rubbing Compound. They work great by PC and hand. Both remove defects, not fill them.

Accumulator
09-11-2004, 12:27 PM
JDookie- As per my post on the other thread, I too would go with the PI-III RC 05933 and the PI-III MG 05937. They work great by rotary/PC/hand and compliment each other very well. *DO NOT* get the Super Duty or the Extra Cut compounds for use by hand/PC, they are truly "liquid sandpaper". Even by rotary I found them way more than I`ll *ever* need for anything.

Bill D
09-11-2004, 12:38 PM
I`ll second the advice on the Super Duty, it kinda horrified me :scared: Perhaps it`s worth experimenting with as a metal polish only.

JasonD
09-11-2004, 12:58 PM
Okay, so Super Duty is completely out for use on anything we want to ever shine again and PI III seems to be a little less messy than the PI II, but what about the Imperial Microfinishing product?

bigpoppa
09-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

I`ll second the advice on the Super Duty, it kinda horrified me :scared: Perhaps it`s worth experimenting with as a metal polish only.

Definitely, I don`t think I`d ever use the super duty on paint. :scared It does work on metal though.

Accumulator
09-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

..what about the Imperial Microfinishing product?

Sorry, haven`t tried it. Unless somebody chimes in with a strong recommendation, I`d just stick with the known quantities, the 05933 and 05937. They pretty much cover all the bases- not bad for two products.

JasonD
09-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Is the MG necessary if you are following the RC with 1Z PP?

Bill D
09-11-2004, 01:23 PM
It probably really depends on how much more work you want to do, but I could see following PP with the Pi III MG, a good substitute for, say, MP or Menzerna FP

JasonD
09-11-2004, 01:25 PM
Hmm, very interesting. So PI III MG is comparable to 1Z MP, as far as results go?

Bill D
09-11-2004, 01:35 PM
The MP is still a unique product if for nothing more than that it contains wax, it`s probably more user friendly than the 3m as a result as well. I don`t see it not being compatible following the PP however.

JasonD
09-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Well this answered all my questions. I am going to use up the rest of my PI II RC and then switch to the PI III version. I`d love to go out and buy the MG but I am thinking that I already have products that will do the same job, like 1Z MP to name one. I hate buying stuff that sounds great and then finding out later that you have no use for it, like the 3M PI SMR. I bought this stuff six months ago and never used it once because I found out that I would prefer to fix the problem rather than hide it. Anyway, great responses. Thank you!:up

Bill D
09-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

I bought this stuff six months ago and never used it once because I found out that I would prefer to fix the problem rather than hide it.

My experience and sentiments exactly. Maybe by rotary more of its light polishing characterisitcs can come out and can be useful as a final polishing step but even at that IMO there are still other polishes worth using more instead.

Accumulator
09-11-2004, 01:51 PM
One last observation before we wrap this all up. The PI-III MG has a lot more cut than 1Z MP. The MG can really abrade away marring, while the MP is just *so* mild that I don`t see it really doing any true correction, it`s just more like a final follow-up after something like PP (it`ll remove the finest micromarring but that`s about it). Even the "pro" MP is a lot milder than the PI-III MG. See how the different combos work, but keep the PI-III MG in the back of your mind. It`s possibly my most-used product of this type.

JasonD
09-11-2004, 01:53 PM
I wasn`t thinking that MG had any abrasive qualities to it at all. I think this is why I usually skip the MP step that you like to use, I just don`t see enough difference. Give me a scenario where you would use MG, if you don`t mind.