PDA

View Full Version : couple questions

NickMach1
09-10-2004, 10:06 PM
Hi guys I`m pretty new to this whole game so try and stick with me :D

We`re in the process of detailing my friends dad`s 01 Bullitt that he purchased, the car is black with insane swirl marks, looks like someone washed it with a brick. I`m tackling it with 1Z PP, I tryed the white pad.. no luck, tryed the cutting pad... no luck, so I`ve narrowed it down to user error. I`m having difficulties figureing out exactly how much product I`m supposed to use and how long I`m supposed to be working it in. I was having to buff off alot of product... any suggestions?

JasonD
09-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Here`s a few suggestions for you, but keep in mind that this is only my opinion. First of all, before you go any further download the Ebook in my signature panel and that will help you get off your feet.

1Z PP is a great polish but it`s not one that I would call aggressive enough to tackle major swirls. I would start out by using some 3M PI II RC (I think the item # is 39002), which you can buy at most local auto part stores like Pep Boys, Autozone, and NAPA. The first step is going to be leveling the paint as best as possible while at the same time removing the swirls or at least rouding off the edges of the swirls enough to where the naked eye cant` see them anymore. This is going to take an aggressive polish or compound to achieve. My personal favorite is the 3M product mentioned above, applied with a cutting pad (yellow?). I usually put one small "ring" of product all the way around the pad and work small areas at a time over and over until all the scratches and/or swirls are gone. Don`t get frustrated, this make take several passes for the bad areas. The surface will be squeeky clean and ready for polishing with your PP, and a white polishing pad. This will bring back the deep gloss you are looking for. Work your PP very slow on speed 5 and make sure you give it enough time to work all the oils in the paint. You will sometimes notice the paint actually darken after a pass or two. As far as how much product to use, you will find out very soon that if you put too much it will take forever to work it in all the way and if you use to little it will disappear almost immdiately before it ever has a chance to do anything. I like to put my PP in a small squeeze bottle so I have more control over how much product I am putting on the pad. You should be able to work an area at least a minute or two before it dries up completely or it`s not enough. After this point, the surface should look awesome, and if it doesn`t either you didn`t compound enough to remove the defects or you didn`t polish enough to bring back the gloss. Some people go on top of the PP with MP, but I find if you work the PP in correctly you can go right on top of it with your topper. I`ve been using GW, letting that cure for 24 hours and then going on top of that with a carnauba paste.

So, in a nutshell, the name of the game is take your time and let the product to do the work. Read the Ebook thoroughly and give it another shot. I promise you will be more prepared.:xyxthumbs

JasonD
09-10-2004, 11:23 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that if you have a lot of product to buff off that means one of two things, either you are putting on WAY too much product or you aren`t working it in long enough. What setting are you using on your PC? How long are you working it in, and how much product are you using?

Like I mentioned earlier, you should be working each small area at least a couple minutes. I usually spend about 15 minutes on each panel, and more on the hood since it`s usually the worst area. After you are done working the product until it basically disappears, you should only have to wipe off a light residue and it should come off extremely easy otherwise you just need to work it longer until it gets to that point.

NickMach1
09-10-2004, 11:53 PM
I`m using way to much product because it feels like I`m sitting there forever trying to work the product in and getting no result.. I mean it was taking me an insane amount of time just on one panel and I couldn`t get the stuff to dry it was just applying product like wild.. but that would be the idiot operators fault for using to much product, I guess I didn`t understand how much product to use exactly

NickMach1
09-10-2004, 11:54 PM
btw thank you for the reply that was great:up

Accumulator
09-11-2004, 11:32 AM
NickMach1- What JDookie said :xyxthumbs although I`m one of those people who follow PP with MP/WPS (maybe it`s just me/my paint) and I just happen to prefer the PI-III RC (05933) which I use with both cutting and polishing pads or 1Z Ultra/Extra. But those are just minor personal preference things. I too believe you need something stronger than PP for any real marring unless you`re working with *very* soft paint.

It *does* sound like you were using too much product, which is one of the most common things in detailing. I`m still amazed at how little you really need with almost *every* polish/wax/etc. Removing marring by PC takes long enough without the added work from using excess product.

JasonD
09-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Accumulator,

This might be offtopic but what is the difference between PI II and PI III RC? I picked up PI II because that`s all they had at Pep Boys, should I switch?

Accumulator
09-11-2004, 12:23 PM
JDookie- Standard "just my experience" disclaimer ;) applies:

The PI-III seems a little milder (but not too much, you might not even notice) but most importantly it seems to dust less. Note that the dust from the PI-II comes with "carcinogenic material" warnings. It`s sorta hard to explain but I just liked the PI-III a lot better. Maybe it was the dusting or maybe it was the way *I think* it leaves a slightly better finish :nixweiss

It`s been quite a while since I used the PI-II but I stuck with the PI-III and use it all the time; heh heh, I like to think I had an good objective reason for switching but I`m at a bit of a loss when it comes to explaining it, huh :o

JasonD
09-11-2004, 12:27 PM
I understand, like I said the only reason I went with the PI II was the availability of it. Since this is off topic I have started a thread in the Product Discussion section, just to see what everyone has been using and their reasons why.

NickMach1
09-11-2004, 02:40 PM
wow guys I had some amazing results, I ended up going with Megs #83, I used alot less polish and worked it until dry and the car is looking absolutley awesome. I`ll post pictures when I`m completely done so you can see the before and afters.

JasonD
09-11-2004, 02:44 PM
That`s what we love to hear! :xyxthumbs I`m glad we could help. Just keep in mind that if you go over an area (#83) and you aren`t seeing the results you are looking for, don`t be afraid to use a little more product and work it a little longer. At least you are on the right track now.

Intercooled
09-11-2004, 03:02 PM
JDookie, you mentioned putting your 1ZPP in a small squeeze bottle. Thats a great idea, the 1Z cans are terrible. Where did yu get your squeeze bottles?

JasonD
09-11-2004, 03:15 PM
I bought mine from here: Sparkle Auto (http://www.sparkleauto.com/automagic2.html) It`s the polish dispenser, bottle and top. You can also go to a beauty supply store and pick up the little squeeze bottle used for hair dye.