PDA

View Full Version : Update on Detailing boats

Pages : [1] 2

LDPaul
09-10-2004, 08:24 PM
For some of you that remember me (Details3), I have been detailing boats in the DWF area. While I detail boats - customers have cars also. So here is what I have been doing lately and staying busy.

This first pic is a Sea Ray 280 - 28ft long with cabin. Here is the finished shot. After washing the boat, I use a cleaner wax - either Meguiars, Hammerhead, or 3M what ever is my fancy for the day. Then I apply Meguiars boat polish - I have tried others but none have produced the shine I wanted. Then I use Meguiars Marine grade wax on both exterior and interior. Since I started doing boats in March I have done over 100 boats in various sizes from 19ft - 48ft.

LDPaul
09-10-2004, 08:36 PM
While many have complained about the durrmaid, I have had very few problems with mine. In fact the water line by the handle gets so hot I have to wrap it with a towel or I will burn my arm. It is the same with water coming out of the sprayer. I will admit that I have never put soap in the extractor. I have a sprayer with carpet soap that I spray on the carpet and then use a carpet brush to scrub the carpet. If there is stains I use spotshot and scrub the stain out. Then I use the extractor to pickup the soap and finish the carpet. Here is the before shot.

LDPaul
09-10-2004, 08:38 PM
After shot of carpet with the cleaning process I discribed.

LDPaul
09-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Cabin Crusier 34ft

LDPaul
09-10-2004, 08:45 PM
These next two pics are boat dash shots. Before I started cleaning the cockpit of this boat there was 8 mud dobber nests (bees). This boat had been sitting for 4 years.

LDPaul
09-10-2004, 08:49 PM
Cleaning the cockpit of this boat I went through 22 buckets of water. The mud on the floors, and seats were about 1/4" thick. Yes there was carpet below the mud. I broke up what mud I could and vaccum it up. Then I pulled the carpets and started cleaning rest of the mud out. After getting about 90% of the mud I then used degreaser to remove all the stubborn areas.

LDPaul
09-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Here is one of my boat customer`s cars. He has a three story house with the bottom floor just for parking his 4 corvettes. This day I detailed two of his vets. Here is his collector Indy pace vet.

LDPaul
09-10-2004, 08:56 PM
His wifes vet

LDPaul
09-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Here is a 44ft that we detailed about two weeks ago. The bow of the boat was the hard part to wax since it was almost 5ft out of the water.

LDPaul
09-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Yes that is me waxing this boat by hand. I also polish/wax the whole top of the boat by hand. It takes awhile, but customers sure like the results.

Mr. Clean
09-10-2004, 09:12 PM
I`ll bet working from that little inflatable presents some challenges exerting pressure while you are doing the polishing step :eek:

Wouldn`t it be nice if they would have you perform the work while in dry dock. Needless to say, you`re earning your fees :up

LDPaul
09-10-2004, 09:14 PM
This one is a Sea Ray 410 42ft. I currently contract out to 4 marina`s and the Sea Ray dealer in the DFW area. Next week I will be heading to Lake Texoma to work on a 48 ft yacht and meeting with the marina to discuss contract work. I contract out even during the winter months - customers want their boat cleaned even during the winter.

LDPaul
09-10-2004, 09:22 PM
You sure are right Mr. Clean. I have dropped the cord and polisher in the water when I have had to use a light compound on the bottom of the boat. But I have learned a new trick today that will help in keeping the cord out of the water. Now if I can only keep the polisher out of the water.

I may not have posted a lot in the past since I have been working all summer from dawn to dusk one can only do so much.

LDPaul
09-10-2004, 09:31 PM
If anyone in the DFW area is interested - I am looking to hire some help. It is hard work, but for the right person there will be room for advancement. If everything goes as planned, I hope to be running at least two crews by next spring (March in Texas). So shoot me an email.

On another note about polishing the chrome: I currently using Mothers as I have found none that produce the shine I like. I have not tried others, but not the new stuff from Meguiars.

tpgsr
09-10-2004, 09:38 PM
have you thought about using a pneumatic polisher so wether you drop it or not, it wont matter??

Very nice work btw. How did you start with boats at the marina?