PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of a Quick Detailer.

Antonio Wright
09-10-2004, 04:26 PM
What is the purpose of using them? I use to quick detail my wheels each and every day. I begin to notice my wheels do not look as clean as when I wash them. Why is that? I thought quick detailers had cleaners in them.

What I am trying to say is that. It seems the QD are not made to actually get rid of dirt like brake dust and road grime that builds up on wheels. Instead of removing the grime it seems it just pushes it around.

Antonio Wright
09-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Wow, 42 looks and no replies. :nixweiss

gnahc79
09-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Antonio Wright

What is the purpose of using them? I use to quick detail my wheels each and every day.

The paint. Which QD are you using?

Eagle One seems like it could work on your wheels, though. From their website: "You always want your car to look its best. WET Wipe & Shine is formulated to maintain that just-waxed look. When used after washing, it will remove any hard water spots and it`s safe for any surface including paint, chrome, aluminum and glass. Its spray applicator makes it ideal for hard-to-reach areas. "

a.k.a. Patrick
09-10-2004, 06:31 PM
1. Not a substitute for a wash

2. Provides a lubricant, with which to remove dust

3. Provides additional temporary protection/layer against bird bombs, and elements.

4. Revives, that just washed shine.

5. Gives the user a purpose in life.

6. Gives Autopians something to talk and argue about.

7. Provides a Euphoric smell (the good ones)

8. A simple way out of washing the wifes car on weekends. Gets you back in front of the boob tube for NASCAR.

Please feel free to add.........

SpoiledMan
09-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

5. Gives the user a purpose in life.

6. Gives Autopians something to talk and argue about.

7. Provides a Euphoric smell (the good ones)

8. A simple way out of washing the wifes car on weekends. Gets you back in front of the boob tube for NASCAR.

Please feel free to add.........

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Antonio Wright
09-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Right now I am using Last Touch Detailer.

carcrazy22
09-10-2004, 06:50 PM
QD is helpful where there are water restrictions ...

Antonio Wright
09-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by carcrazy22

QD is helpful where there are water restrictions ...

Not quite. It seems that they are not strong enough to move dirt. The rinseless spray and wipes work alot better.

imported_Larry A
09-10-2004, 08:22 PM
If for no other reason , to bring back that just waxed look. Its much easier to spray on a qd then it is to put on a full coat of wax. It takes 35 to 50 minutes to wax a car after a wash somethimes longer. With a qd 10 minutes maybe 15 tops , and your car always has that fresh coat of wax look.

svanderbilt
09-10-2004, 08:32 PM
All quick detailer is supposed to do is be a lubricant for your cloth when it`s wiping away dust. Some manufacturers add trace elements of carnauba or synthetic sealant to help a little in the protection area, and chemicals that give a little shine to the paint.

But quick detailer isn`t supposed to "remove grime" or unclog the kitchen sink. Check out the MDMS report on quick detailers and you`ll see surprisingly little goes into making most of them.

Here`s the MDMS report for 3M`s "Perfect It Gloss Enhancer" quick detailer:

60-100% water

0.5-1.5% carnauba

0.1-1.0% 2-Butoxyethanol

less than 0.1% isopropyl alcohol

I did`t know what 2-Butoxyethanol was, so I looked online:

"2-Butoxyethanol is widely used as a solvent in protective surface coatings such as spray lacquers, quick-dry lacquers, enamels, varnishes, and latex paints. It is also used as an ingredient in paint thinners and strippers, varnish removers, agricultural chemicals, herbicides, silicon caulks, cutting oils, and hydraulic fluids. It has other uses in metal cleaners, fabric dyes and inks, industrial and household cleaners (as a degreaser), and dry-cleaning compounds. It is also used in liquid soaps and in cosmetics. "

I use a quick detailer when my car is too dirty to be clean, but too clean to be dirty. Meaning, it`s a little dirty/dusty, but not enough to warrant a complete wash down with soap and water.

By using a California (or OXO) car duster and quick detail every day, and you can go weeks without washing your car. Which is where it comes into helping folks with water restrictions.

Naturally, we all live in different environments so it`s really up to the user to decide where the quick detailer line stops, and the soap and bucket line begins.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/bike-depot_1802_4996044

carcrazy22
09-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Antonio Wright

Not quite. It seems that they are not strong enough to move dirt. The rinseless spray and wipes work alot better.

I agree with you rinseless spray and wipes works better for example QEW. From here only I learnt, many autopians add QD in QEW water soltion for more lubricity and to clean dirtier car. :nixweiss

loco
09-11-2004, 12:10 PM
As others have said QDs give a great glossy, just-waxed look. When used right after a wash and dry, they also are useful for removing any stray water spots caused by sun or hard water.

I got used to using a QD spray immediately after a wash when I started using Zaino. And I loved the results. So, when I started topping Zaino with carnauba, I immediately started trying other Autopia-recommended QDs. I`m now using QuikShine and Last Touch and really love both.

QuikShine is excellent on windows. It really gives you the RainX effect, with MUCH less work. I`ll never toil with RainX again! :xyxthumbs