PDA

View Full Version : Wax before you store your car for the winter?

balty6969
09-10-2004, 02:16 AM
With winter right around the corner, I am curious on how to "wintereize" my car as far as detailing. Basically, it sits in the garage from Nov to April.

I was thinking of doing a layer of Klasse every other week in the winter to give me something to do, and then by the time April comes.. my car had alot of layers on. But, I hear that wax or sealent evaporates over time?. Is that true?

My original intention was to wash and clay the day I was to keep it in the garage for good. Then whenever I felt like it, apply the Klasse twins whenever I had the bug. But my worry was, say I apply some Klasse one week.. and I don`t apply another coat till the next month, my fear is that dust has settled on the car, and will create swirls.

You see where i`m getting at?

So, my question to the people that take their cars off the road for the season.. what do you do?.. if anything at all!. Do you just start your detailing in the spring?.. or do you apply a layer a month in the winter?.

Glossequation
09-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by balty6969

With winter right around the corner, I am curious on how to "wintereize" my car as far as detailing. Basically, it sits in the garage from Nov to April.

I was thinking of doing a layer of Klasse every other week in the winter to give me something to do, and then by the time April comes.. my car had alot of layers on. But, I hear that wax or sealent evaporates over time?. Is that true?

My original intention was to wash and clay the day I was to keep it in the garage for good. Then whenever I felt like it, apply the Klasse twins whenever I had the bug. But my worry was, say I apply some Klasse one week.. and I don`t apply another coat till the next month, my fear is that dust has settled on the car, and will create swirls.

You see where i`m getting at?

So, my question to the people that take their cars off the road for the season.. what do you do?.. if anything at all!. Do you just start your detailing in the spring?.. or do you apply a layer a month in the winter?.

Wash it, put a quick coat of wax on it, cover it, and pass the time till April (miss my Cobra)

togwt
09-10-2004, 07:55 AM
Vehicle Storage

テすChange the oil and filter.

テすReplace brake fluid with DOT 3

テすDo not drain the fuel tank, as an empty tank will cause condensation and it will start to rust! Top off fuel tank, then pour Stabil into the tank and run it for a few minutes (to get it into the fuel lines) If you don`t cycle your fuel through the tank every two months, it starts an oxidation process and will turn into varnish over time, this can clog your fuel lines, One ounce protects three gallons of any type of fuel.

テすTop off coolant with a 50/50 water and corrosion inhibitor and fill all fluids

テすSpray distributor with WD-40

テすProtect the paint, give the vehicle a good washing, dry it thoroughly and then apply an oil rich polish.

テすClean the interior of the car, apply a generous coating of Leatherique Rejuvinator oil to all leather surfaces, and use a box of DampRid moisture absorbing products, also leave a bar of scented soap under the seats (vermin don`t like the smell)

テすApply Wurth HHS-2000 clear spray lubricant to seat rails and sunroof guide rails

テすApply a conditioner to `rubber` weather stripping (Zymol Seal)

テすApply leather conditioner to all leather surfaces.

テすClose all windows, trunk, and hood, and stuff the exhaust with a cloth to ensure mice do not enter

テすClose windows but leave a small gap to ensure rubber seals are not completely flattened, same for doors, close to first `click`

テすOver inflate the tyres (50psi) Do not place car jacks as these will unload the suspension and may do harm. Some vehicles should not be stored with the suspensions unloaded (check with manufacturer)

テすStore the car in gear; do not apply the emergency brake.

テすRemove sparkplugs and inject a little oil down into each of the cylinders.

テすRemove the battery, clean and store separately (the myth about storing a battery on concrete is just that, a myth) coat the terminals with Wurth battery and terminal cleaner, do the same thing with the cable terminals, coat battery hold down bolts with WD40.

テすAlternatively use a Battery Tender, a fully automatic two-stage lead acid battery charger, lightweight, compact size, trickle charger that assures batteries are maintained after charging. Ideal for all lead-acid, sealed maintenance free and gel cell batteries. After full 14.4 VDC charge is reached, converts to float charger and monitors battery at 13.2 volts. When voltage drops below 12.6 VDC, charger resumes charging back to 14.4 VDC. Two-colour LED indicator, Spark-proof; reverse polarity protected, twelve-foot output cord and quick-connect harness. Comes with a set of quick disconnect clamps and rings

テすCover the car with a good quality cotton car cover. If you are storing the vehicle outside use a UV sunshade on the windshield and rear window, plus a car cover

テすPlace a plastic sheet under to the vehicle to avoid dampness capillary action and it will also form a moisture barrier.

テすStore convertibles with the top up. Convertible tops can actually shrink if they are left in the down position, for an extended period of time.

テすInspect the vehicle from time to time and check to ensure that the DampRid is still operational

Collectable Automobile Discussion Forum

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Lowejackson
09-10-2004, 08:07 AM
Excellent advice TOWGT :up

Klasse will protect your paint during the winter

NavindraLR
09-10-2004, 08:24 AM
TOGWT very informative... im going to have to print out a copy of that for future reference