PDA

View Full Version : Short Thread About Dad

SphyNxXx
09-09-2004, 07:28 PM
hehe.....my dad has worked at a GM dealership for over 30 years now and he has done most of his work in the get-ready and detailing section of the dealership. Because of his time, he think he is a detailing guru......however......he still insists its perfectly fine to wash a car every time using Dawn dish detergent. He just says the key is to know how much to use. :D He also loves to wash a vehicle using a brush. There`s nothing wrong with that according to him too. He also thinks that claybarring will just scratch and marr (sp?) a car and paint polishes etc aren`t needed. All you need to do is wash the car and bring out a buffer/polisher and use some Megiaurs Gold Class and thats the best shine you can get. He is also bad about when a car gets dusty, but not dirty, getting a wet chamois and wiping over the car. That may be ok, but I sure wont be doing that at all!!!! He also just shakes his head at the stuff Ive learned off this site and thinks it is bullcrap and he knows more than everyone here. Well, I wonder why he came in today and complained about his Camaro (formerly my car) looking all dull and there being no wax on the car. I also wonder why his 1 week old painted black part of the side pillar/roof already has fine swirls and marring in it...... :hm

hirosh
09-09-2004, 07:39 PM
heh heh, for kicks, you should do a full detail, return his car, and tell him "look what the bullcrap did for your camaro." or maybe bet with him on it. :D

Dinzdale40
09-09-2004, 09:01 PM
yea run a piece of tape down the center of that thing......go head to head and see who`s techniques are better.....

X-Trail
09-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Father and son showdown.!!!

Its hard to convince someone that they are doing wrong when they haev been doing it for 30 years. Most people always think that with age, there comes knowledge. Sure its true, but not always nowdays.

Good luck in convincing your dad.

dcswd
09-09-2004, 09:22 PM
I vote for just working on half of it :D

JimGo
09-09-2004, 09:30 PM
I second/third/fourth the notion of only washing half, and even better, a father-son clean-off. Hoever, PLEASE post some pics! It will be very interesting to see the results!

tpgsr
09-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Put tape down the middle, wash, clay, polish, and wax one side, take off the tape, and tell him that you will do the other half for $100.

SphyNxXx
09-09-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by tpgsr

Put tape down the middle, wash, clay, polish, and wax one side, take off the tape, and tell him that you will do the other half for $100.

:lol

imported_mirrorfinishman
09-10-2004, 06:18 AM
My ability to do detailing was the result of my Dad taking the time to teach me everything he knew about how to properly clean, polish and wax a vehicle. He always had a clean car and he always did all of the work himself. It was only natural for me to follow in his footsteps.

togwt
09-10-2004, 06:33 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations~

The mindset 30+ years ago was ‘if it aint broke don’t try to fix it’ we learn by doing and what ‘works for us’. After 30 years of doing ‘what works’ its hard to change someone’s mind on.

Like Mirrorfinishman my Father taught me detailing but was/is always willing to embrace new technologies.

I think that the ‘tape down the centre’ idea is a good one, perhaps he will learn new methods by seeing them work…/

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

imported_norahcrv
09-10-2004, 07:39 AM
:hm

Like mfm & togwt, my Dad taught me everything he knew about car care. In his case, he didn`t try a new regime til he got a new (to him) car.

Now I`m teaching my 17 year old son what my Dad taught me - mostly his work ethic/credo - "If it`s worth doing, it`s worth doing RIGHT!" AND what I`m learning here on Autopia -

Thanks guys!!

Norah

PS - I like the tape idea - maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks (with "visual aids)! :ca

JustinR32
09-10-2004, 09:50 AM
LOL, my dad taught me how to take it somewhere else and pay them to clean it. I had to figure out how rewarding doing it myself was.

Tom

Option 13
09-10-2004, 11:11 AM
disrespecting your old man ain`t cool :down

imported_edschwab1
09-17-2004, 01:04 AM
Respect your father for who he is, what he does and how he does it. Not everyone will be an autopian detailer, just look at most of the cars on the road.

I do think you could show your father a new method.

Eric