PDA

View Full Version : dampen foam pads with water?

III
09-09-2004, 06:30 PM
I was wondering if it would be ok to dampen my foam pad applicator with water alittle before I use any type of cleaner, polish, polymer, or carnauba product to aid in speading the product. I`ve noticed that when I start with a fresh pad that`s dry it sometimes is difficult to spread the product on the paint.

I`m applying things by hand.

Antonio Wright
09-09-2004, 06:33 PM
I spray the pad with distilled water before I do each panel. With using that method I find that spread the product out alot better.

Jesstzn
09-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Read the product lable or instructions .. some like FMJ say don`t lub the pad with water etc.

gav'spurplez
09-09-2004, 06:42 PM
when i use the IP i spray the pad with water, although not every panel. with FP2 i spray the pad with qd, about 2-3 times for the whole car. ;)

but i would read the instructions, and dos and dont`s :xyxthumbs

III
09-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by gav`spurplez

but i would read the instructions, and dos and dont`s :xyxthumbs

Ok, but what if the product says nothing about this? Doesn`t say it`s good or bad, then what? Also, what about doing this especially with carnauba products?

EdLancer
09-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Theres alot of conflicting theories on this point, some will say to mist the pad and some will say misting the pad will add more cut than a dry pad, but logic will show that if you mist the pad, the abrasives will break down faster and lump and causes less friction and heat.

gav'spurplez
09-10-2004, 11:59 AM
so then it is good to moisten the pads ?? :o

i just thought spraying water on the yellow cma pad prior to spreading the IP, helped less product go farther :nixweiss

togwt
09-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Quote: There are a lot of conflicting theories on this point, some will say to mist the pad and some will say misting the pad will add more cut than a dry pad, but logic will show that if you mist the pad, the abrasives will break down faster and lump and causes less friction and heat.

~One man’s opinion / observations~

1) There are a lot of conflicting theories on this point

Agreed

2) Some will say to mist the pad and some will say misting the pad will add more cut than a dry pad

By changing the composition of the pad (dampening) it will make the product more abrasive

3) But logic will show that if you mist the pad, the abrasives will break down faster and lump and causes less friction and heat.

I would have thought that its friction that breaks down an abrasive (see 2) I’ve never had a product solidify (lump) I’m not suggesting that it can’t happen, just never experienced it. As for the heat being reduced, we’re talking about a very small amount of water (mist), again I m not suggesting that it can’t happen, just seems unlikely.

FWIW this is what I do- lightly mist the foam pad with distilled water; it should be damp, not wet. Raise the trailing edge very slightly so that front 1/3rd of the foam pad is in contact with the surface (avoid using pressure or the backing plate may cut into the foam pad). Apply the product until the pad is evenly saturated with product (usually a minute or two) Product will actually be soft due to heat build-up, and then transition from a tilted pad to full pad contact with the paint surface.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

bufferman71
09-10-2004, 02:31 PM
It is a good idea to dampen pads. Compounds are either oil or water based and using a dry pad will cause the pad to skip across surface. Dampening the pad is called seasoning. I reccommend it to everyone asking for support.

Jesstzn
09-10-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by bufferman71

It is a good idea to dampen pads. Compounds are either oil or water based and using a dry pad will cause the pad to skip across surface. Dampening the pad is called seasoning. I reccommend it to everyone asking for support.

Even for products that specifically say don`t dampen the applicator? FMJ says in bold not to use a dampened applicator.

I am assuming that , and its my feelings for other products too, That by adding water/QD your altering the chemistry of the first part of your application.

Dennis H.
09-10-2004, 06:55 PM
IMO some products are designed for hand use and some are designed for machine use. Usually you can get away with using a hand use product with a PC but when you move to a rotary they tend to gum up the pad. As far as dampening the pad, I think using the product as is unless the directions say otherwise is best. Formulators spend countless hours figuring out how to lubricate abrasive so they achieve maximum effectiveness as specific points of the polishing process. Adding water or QD changes that lubrication ratio. Whether it breaks down the abrasive faster, slower or even at all depends on the abrasive.

But then again that takes all the fun out of trying new things.

a.k.a. Patrick
09-10-2004, 07:20 PM
I normally "season" also, with the exception when using a polymer. I find streaking if thats performed. Oil and water dont mix.......But for polishes, never had any problems......Polys spread easy anyway......