PDA

View Full Version : Detailing. If you want to do it you can!!

quamen
09-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Wow i am sitting back in my seat here looking at the old posts I have sent in. At a time just a few months back I was so worried about even starting up the detailing business due to the area I lived in and if it would be any success. My phone keeps ringing even though I stopped advertising over 1 month ago or so cause I needed to head back to school. Even though im going to school im still doing full details and have more to come.

Im just writing this post in to tell anyone who is wanted to start a detailing business and move it from just detailing your cars, to making it a small or big business you can do it if you have the heart. I remember when I used to work for 40 hours a week at a local store and my paycheck was only 250 dollars after all that good stuff at the end of the week. I now can make that in a matter of hours of detailing which has been great. The other day I made $150 dollars in the matter of 3 hours which is the most I have ever made that quick I believe! Im not saying do detailing just for the money if you dont love it, but it has given me such a better life that I can live and buy things I like and expand the business. Im only 22 years old but take it very serious and have obtained all high end customers. I dont know how it came this way,but I can remember the phone not ringing at all after advertising. I got very upset and almost gave up at the one pointk, then bam I got one of my first calls. I was very nervous because of the status of the vehicles being so expensive and I knew the customers would be very very picky! I took my time and worked really hard and they sure were impressed! I was able to then work into these high class neighborhoods and develop a strong reputation over my other competion around the area.

There is actually quite a few shops around my area, but I never thought I would actually take their business away. I still remember being at the car wash washing down the show truck and I said im going to open a business, or when I first moved here and passed the detailing shop which I commmented I wanted to do detailing as well for myself. I never ever in 100s of years thought it would have grown to what it have become in less than 1 year of operation here! Im already trying to obtain another vehicle for my buddy Brian to run cause I can trust him to actually make the business do really good and how he details cars is amazing. I only need a small loan for another small pickup and the exact same setup and I can make over 2000 dollars a week I believe without a problem.

This is not a bragging post at all,cause im not perfect noone is. Some weeks I make so little money cause of rain and other commitments such as working a part time 2-3 day a week job cause of school and winter. all im trying to say is if anyone has the idea of doing this it can be done and done sucessfully. I think many people look at me with 3 earings hanging out of my head, and then there blown away by the level of professional results I bring to them. All odds were against me when I was laying underneath the truck 2am in the morning on the cold wet garage floor drilling through the bed to secure the water tank. Or when I would be up till the early am after school and full time work to work on the brochures cause of having no time. Or the time when I was outside in the cold trying to figure out how to hook up the water system so it would work with the pressure washer. The time when I was worried about if the truck would actually hold all the weight from the equipment. I remember then time when i passed out hundreds and hundreds of brochures and not a single call. I remember then time when no one took me seriously to the fact they didnt think I could make the capital I could have and it would be a side thing. I remember then time when i lost faith in myself, but you guys on the board pushed me after looking at the click and brags to keep on going.

This is very long and drawn out, but if someone out there gets to the bottom I hope you understand what im trying to say. Just get out there and try cause you can do whatever you want in this country we live in. I found out that the sky is the limit and I made my dreams becuase reality

Thanks,

Rich

PAW
09-09-2004, 09:26 AM
Congrat Rich! Glad to here the hard work is paying off! :D

SpoiledMan
09-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Looking at the quality of your work, you wont have ANY trouble making lots of money! It shows that you`re good and that you love what you`re doing. That Subaru said it all!!!!!!!!:xyxthumbs

imported_mirrorfinishman
09-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Hey Rich,

Thanks for that good update on the success you have experienced with growing your new business. Hey, there is no way you could have gone wrong by listening to the good advice offered by the good people here at Autopia. BTW, I looked up a few of your early posts and thought the following post and reply would be helpful to anyone interested in starting their own detailing business. Keep up the good work!

p.s. - From the title of this post, it sounds like you never forgot that quote from Norman Vincent Peale; `You Can If You Think You Can`

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by quamen, 12-16-2003

1-"Well im going to do a nice flyer when i startup." "is it like a commercial or anything else."

2- "Flyers just say prices and location etc. But if a customer has say 2 flyers that are pretty similiar in price and apperance, she will most likely just chose either one on a hunch. i believe a flyer attached with maybe small one page of why choose my detailing or something along those lines."

3-"im starting in a new state"

4-"Pictures"

5-"what do u think reasonable expected salary for about a 7 month season can bring in?"

6-"I plan on working full time." "Since i never did it full time, im worried cause i dont want to not make much."

7-"You think a realistic income can be 10 k and up easily first season starting off?"

8- "What is the radius you guys travel to do work?"

9- "im dedicated into giving this all i have."

10-"i know this is a long post, but please answer as much as possible.

Thanks"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply by mirrorfinishman, 12-17-2003

It sounds like you actually know more than you think you know. Hey, you`ve already got a few years of experience in detailing. And you`ve got some equipment and supplies, too. That`s more than most people have when they start a business. Since you`ve moved to PA all you need now are new detailing customers! The way I see it, you`ve got to start to look at all of this as a simple learning curve. In other words; there is really no one out there that knows everything about everything when it comes to how to run a detailing business. We are all at different levels. Hopefully you will gain much valuable information from the replies posted.

In regard to your specific questions, please read my responses below:

1- Yes, flyers are like a commercial. Only in a smaller form. Sort of like a `mini-billboard`.

2- A flyer is a good place to tell the story of exactly what it is you are offering. Also, you are really on the right track about having two flyers. That`s a great idea.

You could have one flyer that tells about your service; the detailing process, the products you use and the benefits of someone having their car detailed. This will be the flyer that as you say `someone will choose on a hunch`. No prices on this first flyer. The reason for no prices is simply that you don`t want someone to be turned off as soon as they see your flyer because the price is either; too low/cheap or too high/expensive. You wouldn`t want someone to base their decision to buy or not to buy solely on price alone.

Your second flyer will briefly outline the material on the first. However this is where you`ll want to post your price list.

Basicly, you`ll post only your first flyer in various locations where you think you`ll get the most exposure. And the second flyer, with the price list only gets handed or mailed to your prospective customer after they`ve already contacted you.

3- Nothing wrong with starting in a new state. That`s a good opportunity to wipe the slate clean and begin anew. New forms of advertising and marketing. And new customers too. It all sounds very exciting.

4- Now is a good time to plan to take pictures. You`ll probably want to get a digital camera.

5- As for what to expect for salary. You`ll need to start looking at it from the view of; `how much do I need to make per hour`. In other words if you work 3 hours on detailing a car and you want to make $50 per hour; you`ll need to charge $150. It`s that simple. Until you start to build a good customer base it`s probably a good idea to figure your salary on a `per car basis`.

6- You may be planning to work at this full-time, however until you build-up your customer base, you may want to consider an alternative plan. We all know it`s a lot easier to start-up on a part-time basis. Believe me, you`ll know when the time is right to go at it full-time.

7- Making 10k the very first year may not be as easy as you think. Yes it`s possible. It`s not realistic. The only thing that is realistic is the money that`s already in your pocket. That`s real. You worked for it and you`ve got it. It`s very difficult to say what`s realistic. Maybe it would be better to say that 10k is `the goal` you have set for the first year. That`s what you would like to earn the first year. To me; 10k is definitely a realistic goal.

8- 25 to 35 miles would be a good limit. It can also depend on travel time too.

9- `You Can If You Think You Can`

A quote from Norman Vincent Peale. Author of the book; The Power of Positive Thinking

10- You`re right. Yours was a long post.

I hope this helps...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

rdvt4me
09-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Rich

Congrats on your detailing business. Hard work pays off!

I`m kind of at the other end of the age spectrum. I`m currently an IT manager and I am nearing retirement. I plan to do detailing as a small part time business after I retire. It will supply me with some fun money (aka, dollars for the vette or golf) and I just really enjoy detailing cars. It is very rewarding to sit back after completing at detail job and looking at how great the car looks. I hate to see the car leave.

-Bob

Scottwax
09-09-2004, 11:01 PM
Glad to see detailing is working out for you so well. I remember when you first started getting into it, you`ve really come a long way in a short time.

When I first started out, my Dad thought I should have stayed in restaurant management because it is steady work. Not that he didn`t doubt my ability, he just didn`t think enough people would pay to get details. I think he realizes now he is one of the few (besides us Autopians) who actually enjoy cleaning their cars.

AutoNova
09-09-2004, 11:11 PM
I agree you can do it in this business but it is hard to make a comfortable living at detailing and no benefits. It takes about 2 years to develop a client database pending how much money you want to stick into advertising. I think it is important to be muti-dimensional such as selling product, developing websites, etc, for the slow times. If you think about it you really need to make about $700/wk to live comfortably and that is if your single or live at home.

I remember the tough times when I was lucky to have 1 car a week and made errors in judgement on how much work or the right type of product to use situationaly, I studied this forum non-stop and was basically self-taught. Now I am lucky enough to have a car everyday and some fleet accounts as well as distribute product to make a solid income.

There is also the fleet side of the business which provides steady income but this may require investment in a trailer.

It takes sheer determination and you must treat any open day like a 9-5 workday for advertising and flyering.

I think you are on the right track by expanding because then you can meet more needs with greater efficency.

I think the big picture for most of us is to have an established location with 2-3 detailers working under your name or a fleet of detailing vehicles that can not only detail but provide other services such as windsheilds, paint chips, dent removal.

Head High, Chest Out, Back Straight, now flyer the Sh*%t out of everything.:D

JustinR32
09-10-2004, 12:05 AM
It`s the American Dream, my friend, and you are one of the many heroes starring in it. Believe it or not, you`re following in the footsteps of Andrew Carnegie and JP Morgan.

Congratulations!

Tom

Sveta
09-10-2004, 12:31 AM
Love that CAN DO spirit! Great posts, Guys.

Lochi
09-10-2004, 08:37 PM
Congrats on your detailing business Rich!. :xyxthumbs

Your post was very inspiring for me, i`m working in the project to start a small mobile detail business. I`m a little scared, because here in Chile is not very common neither known this of the car detailing, so i need to change the culture of the client. Oh well, wish me luck! :D

Greetings from Chile :wavey

Lochi.

PS: Sorry for my bad english :nixweiss

Woob
09-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Glad to see detailing is working out for you so well. I remember when you first started getting into it, you`ve really come a long way in a short time.

When I first started out, my Dad thought I should have stayed in restaurant management because it is steady work. Not that he didn`t doubt my ability, he just didn`t think enough people would pay to get details. I think he realizes now he is one of the few (besides us Autopians) who actually enjoy cleaning their cars.

Wow Scott how far were you into restaurant management? I`m currently thinking of going into that field.

On Topic: Man thats great to hear. I want to start up a detailing business for the summer. Right now I have school to attend to, but I`m building up everything. Now for professionals, would it seem weird to work 3 months of the summer, and tell your customer your going to be away for college? I live in an area where detailing it seems is highly wanted :nixweiss

TechSol
09-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Very interesting read... congrats! I got to the bottom, lol. I`m in what seems like were the first stages of your business. I did a little bit of advertising with no results a few weeks ago, other than the few contacts I had lined up already anyway. Now I`m comming up with some very interesting markets to target and I think within the next few weeks I will be getting my first real customers. Im 17, but taking college classes so I have lots of free time during the day.

Mazz
09-11-2004, 02:36 AM
Rich knows his stuff and is great at it. Since he moved down here he has been talking about owning this buisness then one year there it was..truck,shirts,flyers, equipment. Rich`s MAD has a better setup then any of the (very)few local shops. At first we didn`t think it would do the best since this area of PA isn`t known for the highest of the high end cars or perfect weather but it blew up. All we can hope now is to expland to new areas, get the reputation out to more people, and find employees that have the same love for this and can keep our reputation a good one.