PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong - torn LC pad

Pages : [1] 2

imported_perry
09-08-2004, 10:22 PM
I just got my PC a couple weeks ago and have used one of my 6.5" LC white polishing pads on about 1 full car in total. Half of one car w/ DACP, half on another car w/ Pinnacle`s new Swirl Remover. I used a 5" flexible backing plate. The pad was washed after the DACP session using a mild laundry detergent similar to Woolite and allowed to air dry.

I have some minor tearing/ripping/shredding of the foam just past the velcro on the pad. The backing plate does not extend out past the end of the velcro on the pad. It took me about 20 tries, but I finally got my camera to take a picture that sorta shows the damage.

Does it look like this was caused from me using too much pressure? Or was the pad somehow defective?

BillNorth
09-08-2004, 10:56 PM
I can`t imagine that one session, even with pressure, would cause that type of damage. I would contact the store you purchased the pad from and alert them of the problem. It may be a manufacturing defect. I`m sure they`ll help you out.

As a side note, I would advise against putting pressure on the machine when polishing. The advantages of the PC are it`s variable speeds and strong motor. Bogging down on the machine negates these benefits. It`s really the heat generated by the speed of the machine that breaks down the abrasives in polishes, not your body weight.

JMHO.

BillNorth - >Waiting for the rest of the forum to disagree (Including my buddy Tort :wavey)

Bill D
09-08-2004, 11:12 PM
We`ve been discussing this in chat. Yep, here`s another Bill who says the same thing :up

imported_perry
09-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Thanks.

Yea, I wasn`t consciously applying pressure to it because I was afraid of causing just this sort of damage! These things are too expensive for me to tear up! But, I`m a big guy, so just me being me could have done it. Perhaps I need to be more conscious of the way I work?

I contacted the store I bought it from.. let`s just say I was more impressed with pre-sale help than post-sale.

TortoiseAWD
09-09-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by BillNorth

I can`t imagine that one session, even with pressure, would cause that type of damage. I would contact the store you purchased the pad from and alert them of the problem. It may be a manufacturing defect. I`m sure they`ll help you out.

As a side note, I would advise against putting pressure on the machine when polishing. The advantages of the PC are it`s variable speeds and strong motor. Bogging down on the machine negates these benefits. It`s really the heat generated by the speed of the machine that breaks down the abrasives in polishes, not your body weight.

JMHO.

BillNorth - >Waiting for the rest of the forum to disagree (Including my buddy Tort :wavey)Well, I`ve seen pads with that not-quite-to-the-edge velcro design definitely start to shred after one session, but it was with a backing plate that hung past the velcro a bit. Contacting the vendor is an excellent idea. LC is redesigning their pads so the velcro extends to the edge . . . perry, if you should call the vendor to arrange an exchange, you may want to make sure you get the redesigned pad.

But, yeah, I`ll disagree on not using any pressure with the PC. There`s no need to bear down on it hard, but I`ve found that light to moderate pressure on the first couple of passes does provide better cutting action when trying to remove swirls using more abrasive polishes and a cutting pad. On subsequent passes as the polish starts to break down, I use less and less pressure. With polishing pads and lighter polish, however, I agree; there`s really no need for pressure.

Your mileage, of course, may vary, but that technique has worked well for me.

:wavey right back atcha, BN.

Tort

Edit: perry, I didn`t see that you`d already contacted the store when I first read the thread . . . if they`re not giving you any help, there`s a couple of things you can try to salvage the pad. First, check out this thread: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=38923&highlight=protection+ring It describes one way to protect the foam from your backing plate.

Something else that I`ve tried on a couple of chewed up pads: I used "Shoe Goo" to repair and seal the damaged portion of the pad, and to "seal" the rest of the foam out to the edge of the pad. This appears to have worked, but I haven`t had a chance to actually use one of the fixed pads to make sure the repair is durable. -- Tort

BillNorth
09-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by perry

Thanks.

I contacted the store I bought it from.. let`s just say I was more impressed with pre-sale help than post-sale.

That`s bad. Please do tell us who the vendor is. I know I will not be giving them any of my business.

imported_perry
09-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Eh, I`d rather not discuss the vendor again (hint to finding it, if you`re really curious) because this may be a problem caused by me. No sense in raising a ruckus if it`s my fault, ya know?

I purposely got a 5" backing plate to avoid any problems with the plate cutting in to the pad. The plate rests completely on the velcro on the pad with about 1/4" of velcro between the edge of the pad and the foam. The vendor`s opinion is that the 5" plates are too small and recommends the 6" plate. But guess which they sell and which they don`t ;) I`m taking that advice with a grain of salt.

So this looks like a case of me applying too much pressure to the PC? I guess I just need to adjust my technique.

TortoiseAWD
09-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by perry

I purposely got a 5" backing plate to avoid any problems with the plate cutting in to the pad. The plate rests completely on the velcro on the pad with about 1/4" of velcro between the edge of the pad and the foam. The vendor`s opinion is that the 5" plates are too small and recommends the 6" plate. But guess which they sell and which they don`t ;) I`m taking that advice with a grain of salt.perry,

My problems came from using a plate larger than the velcro (it`s not 6", though, I think it`s 5.25" or 5.5", picked it up locally) . . . I think you`re right in taking that advice with an appropriate sodium booster :D

Tort

BillNorth
09-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Ok, I see it was TOL. Doesn`t surprise me. They always seem to shoot themselves in the foot with their stupidity. But then they come on here after and apologize profusely. I don`t understand them.

Waste of time.

Way to go TOL.

Bill D
09-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Tort,

I was telling Perry I also use the approximate 5" plate

bufferman71
09-09-2004, 11:25 AM
If someone has a defective pad from misuse, theres not much i can do. If someone has a defective pad in manufacturing, I will replace it. If you send me the defective pad, I will ship a new replacement. The cutting around the edge of the velcro is from to much pressure being applied to machine, causinge backing plate or loop egde to cut into foam pad. If anyone has a problem, please email me at eric@lakecountrymfg.com . Thanks you and we appreciate your business. A happy customer is a repeat customer.

TortoiseAWD
09-09-2004, 12:48 PM
bufferman71,

Well, that`s kind of a catch-22, because I doubt that any of the pads that have exhibited this problem have a "manufacturing defect". I`m sure they were produced exactly as specified. This is a case of a design defect, which apparently has been recognized as such, since the pads are being redesigned to fix this very problem.

I`m sure I`m being the unreasonable consumer here, but IMO, LC should replace any pad that has exhibited this problem rather than trying to dodge it with "you used too much pressure" or "your backing plate is too large/too small/too sharp on the edges". I dropped over $40 on four orange pads when they first hit the scene, each was ruined with one usage. My fault? My backing plate`s fault? I don`t believe so, but I can`t prove that I didn`t "misuse" them.

Tort

Bill D
09-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

LC should replace any pad that has exhibited this problem rather than trying to dodge it with "you used too much pressure" or "your backing plate is too large/too small/too sharp on the edges". I dropped over $40 on four orange pads when they first hit the scene, each was ruined with one usage. My fault? My backing plate`s fault? I don`t believe so, but I can`t prove that I didn`t "misuse" them.

Tort

Yep, Meg`s did so with the glue issue they had with theirs.

bufferman71
09-09-2004, 02:03 PM
I agree with you guys. If the defective pads are mailed back to us, we will replace them. Just send them with a letter of what happened and where purchased from and we will take care of it from there.

Thanks

wing
09-09-2004, 02:20 PM
On the topic of pressure........

I`ve always let the weight of my polisher do the work, NO pressure at all, just using my hands to hold the machine flat and to move it back and forth.

I just got my PC in the mail today... of course it`s raining Francis right now so I can`t try it, but I`m hoping that I don`t require any pressure with it either.