PDA

View Full Version : Meg #26, blah!!! Can`t protect worth of crap!

Pages : [1] 2

Mohamed
09-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Literally.

Remember, this is only my take on it. If you guys recall on another post I commented on Gold Glass and how poor that product was in protecting my paint. Well reading some more I searched for #26 and you guys commented on how good it is, until I could get more Zaino (which the wonderful big brown truck delievered today). Well I put it on last weekend and indeed it makes the car look fabulous (that`s not too ``` is it?) Anyway, today was the test of the stuff as I parked my car under a tree at work. I try not to because somehow birds love black cars to take a dump on, I don`t know what it is, can anyone comment on this?

Now back to the story, come back after work to find a nice little poopoo stain on my hood. I go home and immediately with a bit of mild wash, clean only that area up of the bird crap. Well long and behold, it left a mark.

I`m sorry but as of now I am very disapointed in Meguiar`s products especially this #26 which is supposedly better in durability. I compare with my Tundra (zainoed) with which I have had bird crap on there for a good amount of time and it NEVER EVER left a mark on my Tundra when washed off. Thankfully I have my Zaino again but ever so late to get it. I`ll have to find a weekend to apply it.

As far as the bird crap stain, I can only hope that claybar will remove it.

Click here (http://home.comcast.net/~mohamed.ibrahim/P9080018.JPG) to see body stain of bird crap. Warning large size photo.

Bill D
09-08-2004, 06:43 PM
You might get the same result from a large variety of other waxes and sealants too. Bird crap is some toxic stuff, depending on what the bird ate can amplify that. It`s rare to not have some kind of mark from crap no matter what you have on your paint if you can`t treat,clean and remove it more or less immediately.

Perhaps some other LSPs do a better job at minimalizing the damage ( Klasse?, Zaino as you indicate) but from my experience you`re either just more lucky or the bird had a mild diet if you don`t some kind of mark left behind.

Eliot Ness
09-08-2004, 07:19 PM
That`s been my experience also. Sometimes it won`t leave a mark and sometimes it will. Just depends on what our feathered friends had for lunch.

Scottwax
09-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Like the others said, it depends on what the bird ate prior to unloading on your paint. Berries are especially acidic. I don`t know of any wax or sealant that can stand up to all bird droppings.

imported_NHBFAN
09-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Berries are especially acidic.

Soooooooo ... what you`re telling me is that if the birds around my house went on a Atkins’ inspired diet and ate more protein choked worms and less high carb berries the finish on my car would be at less peril.:D

imported_Aurora40
09-08-2004, 09:15 PM
What color is you Tundra?

jerry@robs
09-08-2004, 09:22 PM
In my experience, Zaino never held up with bird crap, with the other stuff, it`s great, but acid-based attack, it etches right through. Waxes, for me did a better job.

Mohamed
09-09-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Aurora40

What color is you Tundra?

It`s green, see here (http://home.comcast.net/~mohamed.ibrahim/Tundra.jpg)

I know what you are thinking, "well if it`s white, you wouldn`t be able to tell"...hehe. But I tell you this, bird crap comes right off the Tundra, no etching or nothing with Zaino. The way I apply Zaino though may have a factor, I do Z6 after every coat, so perhaps that helps.

I hear you guys talking about #16 and how it`s a durable wax, but I`m thinking...NAH!!! hehe...that`s enough gunea pigging with Meguiars on my Honda, back to good old Zaino.

Like the old saying goes, "if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it" and I shoulda, woulda, coulda...all that good stuff, done it right from the start by just being patient for ordering Zaino instead of rushing off and buying Meg`s.

raymond_ho2002
09-09-2004, 12:26 AM
You are comparing two different cars, so I don`t think the correlation is as strong. You say that you didn`t get etching on the zaino`ed tundra, but you don`t know for sure whether the results would`ve been the same in the case that you had #26 or even no protection on the tundra.

Did you ever zaino your black car and see that it was fully protected from bird droppings?

The length of time the bird dropping sits on the paint is also another factor.

SDLexus
09-09-2004, 12:51 AM
The only way I would buy your argument that zaino protects better than #26 would be if you took one car, applied zaino to one half and #26 to the other half then had ONE bird take a huge dump right in the middle on the line separating the two sides and have the zaino side look much better than the #26 side. It would also be helpful if you stirred the crap around so that each side got equal parts of the poop and its contents.

Mohamed
09-09-2004, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by SDLexus

The only way I would buy your argument that zaino protects better than #26 would be if you took one car, applied zaino to one half and #26 to the other half then had ONE bird take a huge dump right in the middle on the line separating the two sides and have the zaino side look much better than the #26 side. It would also be helpful if you stirred the crap around so that each side got equal parts of the poop and its contents.

I`ll be sure to try that one day, and I`ll make sure to stir the crap and disperse evenly over the two sides...hehe. :D

No the Honda never got a treatment of Zaino, because it was recently completely repainted (in fact just the beginning of this year). I picked up the care last year around October, with a list of problems. Been working on mechanicals first of the car, then after all was said and done, the body work was done. The car was supposed to be nothing more than a commuter, beater car and the Tundra was supposed to be my prize possesion, after the body work, the car, in my eyes was amazing, so I decided to give it care and that`s why I decided on the repaint.

Like I said, "this is my take on it" and you don`t necessarily have to buy it. It just what I`m finding is Meg`s products are just not feasible for myself, considering all the reviews and ease of avaliablitiy in the store, is the only reason I tried it. When I find time, I put on Zaino that i just got today in the mail, and report back onto this thread.

vapore0n
09-09-2004, 06:53 AM
I once used #26 on my black car. The day after I went for a walk and saw this big bird crap on the side of the car. I had some QD on the trunk, so I sprayed it and it just slid off the surface. #26 had left a very slick surface. I think its slicker than #16. So i got lucky that day. Bird crap + sun = stain

JustinR32
09-09-2004, 08:18 AM
I`ve never had that problem with ANY product I`ve used, from lowly Wax Shop and Zymol Cleaner waxes through any of the Meg`s and al the way up to Klasse, UPP, etc.

Tom

Setec Astronomy
09-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Mohamed

No the Honda never got a treatment of Zaino, because it was recently completely repainted...

You realize that this now is a completely apples to oranges comparison? If it wasn`t enought that it was a different mfr. and a different color, now you are comparing the bird poop resistance of a factory finish to a repaint--I don`t think you can compare that at all.

forrest@mothers
09-09-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Mohamed

No the Honda never got a treatment of Zaino, because it was recently completely repainted (in fact just the beginning of this year).

I think there`s a possibility of the paint being a partial culprit, since it`s not the original paint. You may experience more etching no matter what product is on the paint surface. Time will tell.

The comments about bird droppings are spot on - depending on what the bird ate, what comes out of it can be quite damaging to the paint.

Let us know what happens when you apply the other product and park under the tree again.