PDA

View Full Version : Paint chip repair

Butkus
09-08-2004, 12:03 PM
I picked up my new car last week. The following day I noticed a small chip in the rear bumper (I mean, VERY small). I was going to think about whether to say anything, but then then the sales guy called that day and asked if everything was OK. I said "well, actually....." Anyway, he said he would get it fixed and it`s been done today. The chip is gone, but a few inches away there`s some slight `blurring` in the clearcoat that you can only see at certain angles.

What can I do to get rid of this? I haven`t tried anything yet as I am still at work, but I have Sonus paintwork cleanser at home, which I was going to follow with Klasse AIO and SG.

What would have caused this `blurring`? Has a buffer been used on the car? I am dreading looking at the bumper under fluorescent lights later in my garage! Starting to think I shouldn`t have had it done now and just accepted his alternative offer of gift vouchers!

Craigmri
09-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Butkus,

Here are my thoughts on your situation. Much like when I`m at a restaurant, I never send my food back to the kitchen. You never know what they`ll do back there :-)

I have ZERO faith in dealerships to perform "Autopian" quality.

I go to the dealer when I have no choice and for everything else I manage myself. I recall recently a conversation I had with the service writer at our local Kia dealer. After they performed a warranty repair to our Sedona they mentioned the car would be ready after they send it through detailing.....I abruptly replied....."No-No please do not...I will take care of that!". They musta thought I lost my marbles.

As for your current issue. I would love to see what your talking about. Did they try to repair by airbrushing that spot? Or is the mark your looking at from a buffer? In any event, I would try a polishing compound of some sort to buff it out.

Craig

`04 Sedona EX

tpgsr
09-08-2004, 06:08 PM
$500 says it is a scuff from wetsanding. just polish it out

Butkus
09-09-2004, 08:47 AM
I had a closer look at it last night in the garage under fluorescent lighting. It`s a mess! There`s a `dip` where the chip was, where I think they used some kind of small buffer, and half the bumper has lost a hell of a lot of clearcoat, where they`ve attempted to blend it all in. In proper lighting it`s a sickening sight. My father looked at it and said "but people are never going to kneeling down at your rear bumper looking at it from all angles". He just doesn`t understand - he thinks I`m strange. You can clearly see there are fewer metallic flakes in the bit they have rubbed down.

I phoned today and the guy is actually quite sympathetic. He understands that I want the car perfect, and he said he will ensure that it is fixed properly. The whole bumper is going to be resprayed. I told him I am a perfectionist and if it`s not right we will just have to keep fixing it. He assures me that a perfect job will be done.

I didn`t lay into the guy but I just told him I am disappointed with things so far, considering it`s a brand new car.

It goes in next Friday...

Eliot Ness
09-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Butkus

.......I phoned today and the guy is actually quite sympathetic. He understands that I want the car perfect, and he said he will ensure that it is fixed properly. The whole bumper is going to be resprayed. I told him I am a perfectionist and if it`s not right we will just have to keep fixing it. He assures me that a perfect job will be done.

I didn`t lay into the guy but I just told him I am disappointed with things so far, considering it`s a brand new car..........

The repair they did would probably be OK for most of the general population. Now that they know what you expect you have a good chance of getting a good repair.

His response sounds positive and I think you were wise not to "lay into" the guy at this point. Good luck with the repaint.

Butkus
09-09-2004, 11:46 AM
His response sounds positive and I think you were wise not to "lay into" the guy at this point. Good luck with the repaint.

Ha ha, I wasn`t sure that "lay into" would be a term that would travel well across the Atlantic! But i think you understand what I`m saying.