PDA

View Full Version : Is blending necessary when painting a trunk lid?

david328ci
09-06-2004, 12:18 AM
My car is white, and I`m getting a new trunk lid. When the bodyshop paints it, is it necessary for them to blend it with the rear fenders and trunk?

I was planning on getting a quart of Alpine White paint from a BMW dealership since I don`t really trust a bodyshop to match the paint. Is this a good idea?

Jngrbrdman
09-06-2004, 08:43 AM
I don`t know that they have to blend it, but I do know that white is the hardest color to match. My trunk, spoiler and rear bumper are all different colors of white than the rest of my car. those three parts have been repainted at some point since I bought it. (They didn`t blend it with the rear quarter of the car either) The color match is really close, but when I look at it in the bright lights of a gas station, then I can really see the differences. Unless your car is brand spanking new, then I would suggest letting the paint shop do the color match for you. If you can`t trust them to get the color right, then how can you trust them to paint it right? Always have this kind of work done at a shop you can trust.

Accumulator
09-06-2004, 10:58 AM
I`d probably have them blend it. Like Jngrbrdman, whenever I`ve had paintwork done on a white car I`ve been able to see it, especially after it "ages" a while. The blending will make it less noticeable than having a different colored hood sandwiched between the tops of the quarter panels.

I wouldn`t get the paint at the BMW dealer. Any decent paintshop will get the appropriate paint anyhow and if *you* supply the paint it gives them an excuse if things don`t turn out right.