PDA

View Full Version : wheel/hubcap cleaning problem

jvcn
09-05-2004, 04:10 PM
I have some sort of whitish gunk on one of the wheels (looks a bit like blobs of plaster or hardened plastic) that have stuck on (center and around it) and can`t be removed by my normal washing and scrubbing.

I think that my wife bumped it against a wall at one time and didn`t do anythng about it. Now that we have a new car and this has become my daily driver, I`m trying to get it clean. The rest of the car is in good shape.

Anyone have ideas how to clean this wheel? What to try first? Bleche-White? Alcohol?

??

Thx.

Bill D
09-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Welcome to Autopia! :wavey

If possible, a photo would really help. This sounds like it`s on the wheel (not the tire) of the car? If so, try clay. Chemical product alternatives include a tar remover like Stoner Tarminator, 3m General Adhesive Cleaner or a prep product like Prepsol/Klen Strip Prep All

Never use Bleche-White on a wheel. In fact, I avoid that stuff altogether for anything.

HTH.

imported_mirrorfinishman
09-06-2004, 11:03 AM
It is a good idea to first try to identify what it is that`s stuck to your wheel. Then you would have a better chance of learning more about how to remove it.

I would not recommend using any solvent type products until you know for sure what you are dealing with.

jvcn
09-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Here`s a pic. Washing and scrubbing with soap doesn`t seem to help.

Ideas?:nixweiss

Bill D
09-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Yikes! That looks like serious damage as in total wheel clear coat failure :eek: At least the part outside of that center circle part

Eliot Ness
09-06-2004, 06:31 PM
Yes, that looks like the clear coat got scratched up pretty bad. Carefully examine it again and see if those marks aren`t really scratches rather than something on the wheel. Run your fingernail across it and see if it feels like a depression (scratch) rather than some substance on top of the clear coat.

If it is scratched I`m not sure what/or how the best way to repair it might be, perhaps some of the experts can advise you on that.

jvcn
09-06-2004, 07:10 PM
At least some of it is definitely over the clear coat. Washing and scrubbing removed some of the gunk till you see what`s left.

The white "fungus" (looks close up like dried papier mache) is the outer edge of what I didn`t scrub off. I`m thinking of using a razor or something to pry it off, but was hoping someone would first suggest a cleaner that would loosen it.

Don
09-07-2004, 04:58 AM
I agree with Bill, that looks like complete clearcoat failure/separation. From the way its evenly distributed around the `spokes` on the rim, I think that something caustic got trapped underneath the center cap and ate it`s way out from there. You need to contact a rim refinishing shop.

jvcn
09-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Sigh...

I guess I`ll just have to live with it. I like keeping it clean but I don`t think it`s worth spending a lot of money on a 6 yr old Dodge Stratus. And repairing or replacing that wheel would cost real money.

Oh, well. Waxing it is therapeutic for me.:(