PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Removing Scratches

DRT213
09-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Hi All,

I`m new to this forum and am in need of advice on dealing with scratches on my car. It`s a metalic red BMW and I`ve tried several things that didn`t get them out. The scratches are on the roof above the front & rear windshields and on the trunk lid below the rear window....they look like "streams"...if that makes any sense.

Here`s what I`ve tried: clay bar, 2 different cleaners (Meguiar`s medallion paint cleaner, One Grand Special Touch), 3M hand glaze and Scratch-X. I have tried both hand and 7424 applications without success.

I`m told not to use abrasives on the problem...just use chemicals, but that being said, I tried some old Meguiar`s fine cut cleaner I have via hand and that seems to give the best results yet...I followed with a couple of coats of Scratch-X.

Meguiars has reformulated their fine cut to only be used with a rotary buffer...which I don`t have and can`t operate properly anyway.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try?

Thanks.

imported_mirrorfinishman
09-06-2004, 11:14 AM
The Meguiar`s #2 Fine Cut Cleaner is still rather abrasive even when applied by hand. And applying it by hand is surely less aggressive than by machine. Since it sounds like you did get improved results, you may want to simply go over the areas again using the same process until you are satisfied with the appearance.

Accumulator
09-06-2004, 11:26 AM
DRT213-I`d be careful with the Meg`s #2, it doesn`t break down "right" without a rotary`s heat. The Scratch-X is the right idea, a mild abrasive. It takes abrasives to remove scratches, the chemical approach won`t do what you`re after. Multiple passes with a mild product is a smart way to aproach the problem.

I`d also be careful about trying to completely remove the scratches, sometimes you can end up thinning the clear too much. But that doesn`t mean you shouldn`t use *any* abrasives, you *need* to abrade the paint to make the scratches go away (level the paint around the scratch down to the level of the "bottom" of the scratch).

Your description of scratches as "streams" is appropriate. The scratch is a "stream bed" carved out of the paint, much as a stream is carved out of the land.

If you want to try different products, I`d look into the 1Z line of polishes. They work very well by hand. Getting the three polishes (Ultra/Extra, Paint Polish, and Metallic Polish) would give you everything you`d need to deal with marring like scratches and "swirls". Add a good Last Step Product ("LSP") and you`ll be all set.

DRT213
09-07-2004, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the responses. Guess I was looking for a "silver bullet" to fix my scratches...didn`t think there was one, but it never hurts to ask. I will continue to plug away at getting rid of the scratches within in reason.

Thanks again.