PDA

View Full Version : new to the forum and have a ??

mike01svt
09-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Hello, I have a 2001 Mustang Cobra in True Blue.. it is a Dark Blue and I have noticed that I am starting to get swirl marks all over the place, along with very fine scratches. I am fairly new to this detailing and would like to know what to use to get the swirls out. The paint is otherwise in showroom condition... I have the Zaino Products, but thats about it. I also have some 3m Rubbing compound that i used once to get some minor scratches out. I was thinking about getting a porter cable 7424 that i would test out on my jeep and learn how to use it before starting on the car. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks

ZaneO
09-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Welcome to Autopia.

I would start by clicking on the "learn!" icon at the top of the page and by doing some searches on the topics you are interested in.

Here are a couple of articles to get you started:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=28

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

mike01svt
09-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the direction. I appreciate your help :D

imported_mirrorfinishman
09-08-2004, 10:38 AM
Hey Mike,

Since it sounds like you are currently doing all of the polishing and waxing by hand, I thought I would add a few additional helpful comments.

The most important thing to remember when polishing and waxing by hand is that all cloths must be clean and remain clean at all times. With regard to an applicator cloth, you could use a small folded light weight, white terry cloth towel to apply the polish and wax, instead of the foam type applicator.

When applying either polish or wax, it is a good idea to dampen your applicator cloth, and put a small amount of the product directly on the cloth. Do not put product directly on the surface of the vehicle. Starting at the passenger side of the hood, apply the cloth to the surface and begin to use either a gentle circular polishing motion or back and forth motion, applying an even pressure. If you are right handed you may want to work around the car in a counter-clockwise direction. Do not apply too much pressure. You should begin to see a change in surface texture as a result of your efforts. This change in surface texture is an indication that road film and surface contamination are being removed and that the surface is in fact becoming clean. The applicator cloth should have just enough dampness to allow the cloth to glide smoothly. You will need to add polish or wax to the cloth, as necessary, to insure even coverage. Remember, do only one section at a time, until you see how easily the polish or wax comes off. Then proceed accordingly.

To remove either polish or wax residue after drying, you could use two clean towels aprox. 16†x 16â€. One towel for your right hand and one for your left. Place one towel in the palm of each hand. Proceed to apply the towels to the dried polish or wax. Begin removing the polish or wax with either a gentle circular motion or a back and forth motion. Again, do not apply too much pressure. You should change towel surfaces by flipping from one side to the other. If the polish or wax comes off relatively easy, then you can do a larger section. However, if the polish or wax is hard to remove, then you will want to stay with doing small sections at a time.

Mike, the key to reducing the chance of causing those swirl marks and very fine scratches is to simply not apply too much pressure during either the application or removal process. That`s really the key.

imported_Macgirl
09-08-2004, 11:13 AM
:welcome

I`d like to suggest reading up on using a "two-bucket" method for washing and picking yourself up some quality wash mitts, depending on if you prefer the cotton chenille ones or the sheepskin. There are loads of different ways to wash, but your main concern is not to be "rubbing the dirt in." Wipe and rinse out your mitt, either using the hose or a bucket filled with plain water. Good place to start reducing the swirls once you get your paint in good condition.

Have fun and good luck!

mike01svt
09-08-2004, 09:16 PM
wow you guys and girls are great... thanks