PDA

View Full Version : MF vs Cotton Terry towels

Beemerboy
10-25-2004, 09:45 AM
I know that I may take some heat from this but, I do not use MF towels all that much on the painted areas or for applying dressing much like I read others doing here.

I guess I`m old school with the towels but I have a great amount of high grade terry towels that I love. The one thing that I have used MF on is glass cleaning. The best towel that I have found is a blue one that I got from Steve at PB. I got some waffle weave ones from Dwayne for drying the car and I was not overly impressed.

Anyone else feel this way about MF or is it just me?

JaredPointer
10-25-2004, 09:49 AM
Nope. In my book I like MF for everything possible. Just seems to blow terry out of the water. I suppose it`s just personal preference, which is one thing that makes detailing (a hobby for me) great.

BookemDano
10-25-2004, 09:54 AM
Each to his own, but I won`t touch cotton for anything except maybe for the engine, wheel wells, etc. Having said that, I just bought a pack of cheap MF towels at Costco (about $11 for 16). Once washed 2-3 times (to get rid of lint), I can use those on the non-critical areas also.

Over the years, I`ve had bad luck with cotton towels, applicators and buffing bonnets (for old 10" buffers). No more for me.

Regards,

Dan.

Focusedonsound
10-25-2004, 10:05 AM
I agree and disagree with this...

MF towels are excelent for removing wax and paint work. I even have a few that I use on the interior.

However there are some tasks that I like using a good ol Terry towel on.

CharlesW
10-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Although I do use MF much more often, I would not hesitate to use any of my cotton terry towels if a MF was not readily at hand.
IMO, the quality of either the MF or the cotton towel is the important thing.
Good 100% cotton terry has worked good for me for a lot of years, but good quality MF has also done a good job.
For me, I don`t think MF has been a miracle product. Maybe a little better, but I`m not even sure about that.
If you start with a clean surface and use quality products they way they are supposed to be used, I think either MF or cotton terry will do the job for you.

Charles