PDA

View Full Version : Stoner`s Trim Shine

imported_perry
09-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Is Trim Shine good for wheel wells? Under the hood? Where do yous guys use it?

Hehe. I was at Meijer tonight, and naturally had to wonder in to the car care section. Wanted some Armor All Tire Foam for the wheel wells. Trim Shine was on clearance for $2.70 from $3.99 so I just had to get that. Picked up a "Turtle Wax Deluxe" tire brush for $3.40 down from $4.99 as well. Never used a tire brush before, but, what the hell, it was on sale?! Figured I could use it on the wheel wells too.

Unfortunately, it was the only can or I would have bought several of them... and worry about how to use em later. I`m such a sucker for sales ;) End of the season, so I`ll be watching for those orange clearance tags at Meijer!

Oops. Posted in the wrong forum. Was a long Saturday.

Bill D
09-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Sure you can use it there but it will give a very greasy appearance if not wiped down and it will attract dust ( as will foam products). I recall how glossy the stuff made my battery, it was the only thing that made it look that shiny, it just looked terrible.

ALAN81
09-05-2004, 11:59 AM
I use Trim Shine in my wheel wells with no problem

Bill D
09-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Must be dustier here than Alaska, I also find that like all the rest of those dressings, they come off fairly quicky in bad weather. Maybe it was just me, but I found they seemed to make my wells even dirtier once they went through some rain :nixweiss. Seems kinda expensive to constantly have to reapply something that comes in a can too. But as always, all I can do is share my experiences and give my humble opinion. To each his own.

imported_perry
09-05-2004, 08:32 PM
So too shiney under the hood, dust magnet in the wheel wells.. Does that mean it`ll attract dust and be too shiney if I find actual trim to use it on? Guess I`ll find out tomorrow as I`m supposed to be detailing Grandma`s car.

Bill D
09-05-2004, 09:54 PM
It`s probably extra shiny to make the trim match the gloss of maintained paint. I wonder if it`s going to run severely on the paint if it`s exposed to rain

imported_perry
09-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

It`s probably extra shiny to make the trim match the gloss of maintained paint.

Yup. Used it today on Grandma`s Taurus. Black plastic side view mirror housing and surround, windshield cowl, black plastic side skirt thingies. It was pretty shiney, but very simple to apply... just spray it and forget it! They say you can use it on the dash, but I wasn`t that daring.

But, I didn`t think it was overly shiney.. I used CD-2 on the engine, and the cowl didn`t look out of place when the hood was up.

Also used it on the wheel wells. Was probably too shiney in there. More so than Armor All tire foam which I`ve used in the past. But didn`t look too bad.

My little tire brush was pretty nice too :) Couldn`t get it in to the wheel wells though. Got that brush set on the way from WCD though, so hopefully that will help in the future.

Bill D
09-06-2004, 09:59 PM
If you really like that stuff you can order a case from Stoner

http://www.moreshine.com

imported_FordTaurus
09-06-2004, 10:54 PM
I use Trim Shine on the big, textured areas of trim, like bumpers or the black textured plastic strip that runs on the bottom of some cars (like my Taurus). I don`t like how it looks on anything that is not textured, and I find that if the area is not good-sized, the spray can does not give a tight enough stream to keep from getting some on the paint/other areas. I sray the area, making sure i`ve covered the entire area, and then wipe down right away. This smooths everything out, makes it a little less shiney, and gives a real nice appearance. I have found that Engine Kote works best on wheelwells, and NXT trim protectant is my current favorite for most other/smaller exterior trim areas.

-FordTaurus

SergC
09-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

Sure you can use it there but it will give a very greasy appearance if not wiped down and it will attract dust ( as will foam products). I recall how glossy the stuff made my battery, it was the only thing that made it look that shiny, it just looked terrible.

^^^

Dust magnet no matter how you apply it :down