PDA

View Full Version : Help with choosing 1st time products

Pages : [1] 2

Maveri9720
09-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Alright, as the title states, I need some help picking some products. I have gone through alot of the articles and guides in the learn section and have searched a little here also. So please bear with me. I have a 95 PGT with Laser Red paint. And of course, the hood, roof and hatch lid are dulled and lifeless. I am doing this by hand first to see what kind of results I can get before dropping some money on a PC 7424 and some quality products. My only resources to get things are: Autozone, Advance, Napa, Wal-Mart, H.D. and Lowes. I was eyeing the Meguiar`s Deep Crystal 1-2-3 system, have also read about 3m Fine cutting compound along with a polisher and wax. Can some more experienced people offer some advice for a lowly, inexperienced newb???? I will be getting Clay Magic to clay it. I already have Eagle One car wash and Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax.

Assumed Steps: 1. Wash 2. Clay 3. Compound 4. Polish 5. Wax Sound right??? Would really appreciate some help on product selection here please.

Thanks for your time and help and for putting up with another newbie asking simple questions.............

Maveri9720
09-05-2004, 01:10 AM
Wow, very impressive, 30 views and not one single person can take 1 minute to reply to my post to help me out. I can see how a new person would learn tons and tons from all the helpful people here. :mad:

Wasatch
09-05-2004, 01:39 AM
Your process sounds ok. I`ve heard good things about Megs Deep Crystal system. I believe Mothers has a similar system. Maybe try Megs NXT which has some cleaning abilities. Just noticed, after claying wash the car again. So maybe try this process: Wash, Clay, Wash, NXT, Wax (#16 or #26).

Maveri9720
09-05-2004, 01:55 AM
Finally, a reply. Thank you very much, I appreciate it. Now I had read conflicting statements from people, saying that you don`t have to wash after claying and then that you do have to wash. So, I guess to be on the safe side, I will wash. Also, looking around some more, some people have recommended Meguiar`s #7, then #9, then some NXT wax, instead of the Deep Crystal system. Anyone have any thoughts/experience with this??? Seems like the NXT wax is all the rave now, I guess I will try it too. I am now leaning towards Clay Magic, Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Cleaner and Polish and then finish it with NXT wax. What is the difference between the Cleaner and the 3m Perfect II Fine Cut compund??? Also, is the 3m series any good, or do I stick with Meguiar`s? I do have swirls pretty bad on the roof and the paint on the hood is rough looking too, so I want to use something that is strong enough to remove those problems. Will the 3m compound or Deep Crystal Cleaner be enough to get those problems out, or do I need to go rougher and if I do, what would that be, wet sanding maybe????

Thanks again for any advice/opinions.......

Wasatch
09-05-2004, 02:22 AM
When removing swirl marks always start with the least abrasive product and work your way up. If the swirls are very deep, you will have to go with a PC or rotary. 3M makes some very nice products, it does not matter which companies stuff you use. Washing after claying is a good idea, it removes the crud, before polishing. It sounds like your car needs claying badly. The 1Z products work very well I`ve heard by hand (PP, UPP, MPW). VM does a very good job of removing light swirls by hand with an MF applicator. Also #80 I`ve heard does a good job by hand.

a.k.a. Patrick
09-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Maveri9720

Wow, very impressive, 30 views and not one single person can take 1 minute to reply to my post to help me out. I can see how a new person would learn tons and tons from all the helpful people here. :mad:

Mav, easy tiger.....This question has been answered many a times beofre, and becomes somewhat redundant.....My opinion is to ditch the wax/cleaner first off, and find a way to access products available online, youll obviously find way more to choose from......Experiment, experiment, experiment, thats the most ideal learning platform....What works good for me, others may hate, car care is a very personal thing as are the many choices....

Maveri9720
09-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

Mav, easy tiger.....This question has been answered many a times beofre, and becomes somewhat redundant.....My opinion is to ditch the wax/cleaner first off, and find a way to access products available online, youll obviously find way more to choose from......Experiment, experiment, experiment, thats the most ideal learning platform....What works good for me, others may hate, car care is a very personal thing as are the many choices....

I understand the redundant question part, but had a hard time finding the specific answers that I wanted. Now, the last thing I want to hear about my car and it`s paint job is to experiment. Especially, being a new person to this profession and not having any prior experience. To me, that`s not cool. That`s the whole reason for having a website like this: share knowledge about what works and what doesn`t and educate everyone about methods and techniques and products that produce results. Not to just go try different stuff on your paint and if it works, great, but if it doesn`t, well sorry dude. And yes, I know I will find tons more higher quality products online, but I don`t know how far I can bring my paint back. This is pretty much a test run to see if my paint is even restorable or not. If it doesn`t look any better, than I am assuming that the 10 years of neglect by the previous owner has killed the paint and that I will need a new paint job. In which case, the high quality and expensive products won`t do me any good, along with a PC, b/c now I need to save my money for a paint job. That`s why I just wanted some product info about what is the best to use that is available locally. Products that have been tested again and again and have proven themselves to be quality products. And I also have the time this weekend to be doing this, since I am not going anywhere for Labor Day, so that is another reason I want local products I can just run out and pick up.

Thanks for everyone taking the time to reply

Much appreciated:up

a.k.a. Patrick
09-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Now I had read conflicting statements from people, saying that you don`t have to wash after claying and then that you do have to wash.

Also, is the 3m series any good, or do I stick with Meguiar`s?

For every "and, if or" question you ask, your going to get different responses which will only confuse you.....Start with the Megs1-2-3 punch, then report back, we need a starting point with which to recommend from......

progress
09-05-2004, 11:33 AM

I read the first post the other day and didn`t reply. Since I`m new I`m not entirely certain what to use and half of what I`d suggest would probably be from remembering things I`d read here -- not from true experience. Keep in mind there are others in the same boat.

sQuashed
09-05-2004, 12:15 PM

I`d be surprised if future help is offered after THIS reply:nixweiss

Maveri9720
09-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Am I wrong in my statement???? Have I lied??? Nope, just stating that 30 people looked at my post and not one person could offer their advice. This is the Autopia Univ. forum where all the new people are supposed to hang out and learn. It would be different, had I posted this in another forum, but this is the beginner forum. And if you look at the previous replies I have had with people kind enough to give me their opinion, you can clearly see I am very appreciative and thankful towards them, b/c unlike the other 30 people, they took time out to help and this is what this entire website is supposed to be based upon. I don`t see how I am in the wrong here or warrant a reply like that.

And yes, I understand that alot of the people residing here are novices and might be weary to offering their opinions due to a lack of experience. But I can`t believe that out of all 30 people, not one has had any good or bad experiences they could have shared with me about any paint detailing product. Something that worked well for them, or something that maybe they thought didn`t work so hot.

Anyway, again, I want to thank everyone for their help and advice. I don`t want to whine or complain or cause any problems. Just here trying to learn like everyone else. I ended up getting Meguiar`s NXT wash, Deep Crystal Cleaner and Polish, Clay Magic, and NXT tech wax. Only problem I had was trying to find foam applicators. All the places were sold out, so the only thing left were terry cloth applicators. I hope these will be ok. I will try to take some before and after pics to post to help out future members with the results of these products.

Off to my first detailing I go. Wish me luck............... :wavey

progress
09-05-2004, 03:12 PM

Am I wrong in my statement???? Have I lied??? Nope, just stating that 30 people looked at my post and not one person could offer their advice. This is the Autopia Univ. forum where all the new people are supposed to hang out and learn. It would be different, had I posted this in another forum, but this is the beginner forum. And if you look at the previous replies I have had with people kind enough to give me their opinion, you can clearly see I am very appreciative and thankful towards them, b/c unlike the other 30 people, they took time out to help and this is what this entire website is supposed to be based upon. I don`t see how I am in the wrong here or warrant a reply like that.

And yes, I understand that alot of the people residing here are novices and might be weary to offering their opinions due to a lack of experience. But I can`t believe that out of all 30 people, not one has had any good or bad experiences they could have shared with me about any paint detailing product. Something that worked well for them, or something that maybe they thought didn`t work so hot.

Anyway, again, I want to thank everyone for their help and advice. I don`t want to whine or complain or cause any problems. Just here trying to learn like everyone else. I ended up getting Meguiar`s NXT wash, Deep Crystal Cleaner and Polish, Clay Magic, and NXT tech wax. Only problem I had was trying to find foam applicators. All the places were sold out, so the only thing left were terry cloth applicators. I hope these will be ok. I will try to take some before and after pics to post to help out future members with the results of these products.

Off to my first detailing I go. Wish me luck............... :wavey

Well I honestly didn`t know what to say or suggest and still really don`t. I haven`t been dazzled by any particular product so far but I think that has more to do with learning better technique, taking my time, and finding a better place to work on this stuff. The only thing I can say is good luck!

Oh by the way, 30 views is nothing when it comes to an internet forum. It probably counts unique IP addresses that view the page regardless of if the person is even a member of this forum or not.

Maveri9720
09-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Well thanks for replying. I just got done doing my hood and it looks alot better, but it will take a few going overs and maybe even some rougher stuff to make it look great. But overall, I am happy with the Meguiar products and the Clay Magic. I am sure it would look alot better with a PC and that probably will be my next purchase. But like you said, it will take time to develop proper technique and a knowledge of what to use and when.

I am a member of Probetalk and it has alot of forums, very similar to Autopia and I guess I was just too used to posting there. A majority of the time responses are pretty quick. Going 10 or 15 views there w/o a reply and people started getting pretty angry. So, I guess I just have to adjust to these forums and relax. Also, I was kinda antsy and in a rush, b/c I knew I was going out today to buy the stuff and detail, so I should have posted sooner to have more time so more people could have replied.

I took the before pics and when I get done with my roof and hatch lid, I will take the after pics and try to post them here for everybody to see.

Thanx again all :up

Buick_guy
09-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Wow dude, its the weekend chill out. People have other things to do. Just do a search, and it would have come up.

I didn`t even read your post now that you started saying all that " 30 views and no replies" crap.

Thats how things get done around here.:argue

Option 13
09-05-2004, 05:28 PM
Hey Maveri9720,

I`m not trying to:argue with you and I see your point, but instead of getting frustrated and sarcastic be patient and ask again. People on here are really nice and they want to help you but you need to give them a chance..o.k.;) .

Also, you don`t want to be arguing with guys like Patrick....

they`ve been here a long time and deserve respect.

I hope everything goes well with your detailing this weekend :xyxthumbs post some pics for us.

Have a great weekend,