PDA

View Full Version : Re-clearing a car?

imported_kgb
09-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Ok, I had my door, rear quarter and bumper painted last year.....Accident and break in all in the same month....anyway, the clear that they used is the softess stuff I have ever seen in my life! I just look at it wrong and it scratches. That side of my car looks like total crap. Even microfiber is scratching this stuff. Anyway, I am going next week to get an estimate to re-clear it by another shop. Is this possible? I mean can they just respray harder clear or will they have to repaint the panels? Any idea what I should look to be paying?

Thanks

imported_mirrorfinishman
09-04-2004, 10:27 AM
It sounds like the work was not done correctly. If you had your insurance company involved with the original work, then may want to consider getting them involved again now.

imported_kgb
09-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

It sounds like the work was not done correctly. If you had your insurance company involved with the original work, then may want to consider getting them involved again now.

I just assume pay another shop to do it. The shop I am going to painted a truck for me and did a beautiful job so I am going to see what he will charge. I am just wondering what to expect I guess.

tguil
09-04-2004, 11:08 AM
I think that you should at least go back to the first shop to find out what they used. The second shop probably will not want to mess with it unless they know what`s on at the present time.

Are you sure that there is nothing in your wash water that might be scratching the paint without you knowing it? I live in the country and have a well. I actually had very fine sand in my wash water. I too had a panel that had been repainted and cleared and it looked like crap. I started running my wash water through a filter. No more scratching. All repainted clear is softer than the factory stuff.

Tom:cool:

imported_kgb
09-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by tguil

I think that you should at least go back to the first shop to find out what they used. The second shop probably will not want to mess with it unless they know what`s on at the present time.

Are you sure that there is nothing in your wash water that might be scratching the paint without you knowing it? I live in the country and have a well. I actually had very fine sand in my wash water. I too had a panel that had been repainted and cleared and it looked like crap. I started running my wash water through a filter. No more scratching. All repainted clear is softer than the factory stuff.

Tom:cool:

It scratches without water. I can polish it to a mirror and just rubbing the polish or wax off scratches it so freaking bad. I tried several brands of microfiber as well so I know that is not it. And I already talked to the shop and know what they used.