PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining my perfect shine?

Pages : [1] 2

longarm
09-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Hey all, had a couple of quick questions. I completely detailed my car with my PC about a month ago. I put two sealants on it when I was done, Blackfire. Then about two weeks ago I hand applied some NXT. I was thinking about putting another coat of wax on in the am. I have NXT, #16, and S1000. Which one should I use? Or is it just too much? Applying the Caranuba with the PC is ok right? Am I correct in thinking that applying #9 SW over the sealants is bad? Thanks all, just want to maintain my "Perfect Shine." :xyxthumbs

Ohh, my car is a 2003 Black Ford Focus.

dcswd
09-04-2004, 12:59 AM
If you washed and waxed your car once a week, you would be considered "normal" for a detailing nut. :D

Its perfectly fine to apply waxes with the PC. Just my personal preference, but I like to apply most waxes by hand. Which ever way is easier for you though. For waxes that glide on like oil, its easier for me to do it by hand, but if the wax is rock hard, the pc can help out a lot.

Try out a wax that you havent used recently on your car and see how you like it. Next time try out a different one and see which looks the best. :cool: I think if I was in your position I would try out S100.

Have fun!

longarm
09-04-2004, 04:30 AM
What speed would you recommend for applying P1000 or #16? What speed for removing? Same for the NXT Please. Thanks in advance.

tguil
09-04-2004, 10:56 AM
If I were you, I`d not mix brands. Both Blackfire and NXT are great, long lasting products on black vehicles. The look terrific without being topped with a carnauba like S100 or #16. If you use Blackfire, QD it after every wash with the Blackfire QD. It`s pricey stuff but it works and extends the life of the Blackfire sealant. if you use NXT apply the Spray Booster after every other wash. Just don`t apply too much.

I`ve owned black vehicles for almost 30 years. Blackfire and NXT products simply can`t be beat for offering long term protection, ease of application, and a deep wet look on black all at the same time.

I have found that I have much less swirling since I have started using microfiber towels and polishing cloths.

I use a pc for applying all products -- compounds, polishes, sealants and even carnauba wax. I usually remove these products by hand with a microfiber polishing cloth. Then if I am in the mood I go over the vehicle again with a microfiber bonnet on my pc.

I usually apply polishes like #83 DACP and #82 Swirl Free Polish or BlackFire Polish with the pc at 4 or 5. I apply sealants and waxes with the pc at about 3 1/2

Tom :cool:

Accumulator
09-04-2004, 11:41 AM
I apply waxes at a little faster speed than tguil, more around 4-4.5. I take `em off (MF bonnet) at that speed or higher.

I`d probably would top the NXT with #16, but that`s just me. I just love using #16. A second coat a week or so later seems to really add something too, though I`ll stop just short of saying it must "layer" ;) Does do *something* more than just refresh it, though.

The #9 will almost certainly mess up/strip whatever it`s used over due to its abrasives. Don`t use it until you have marring that needs polished out; you`ll have to redo your LSP.

LouisanaJeeper
09-04-2004, 12:31 PM
you know the NXT probably removed your blackfire right?

I would top with either S100 or the #16, the S100 will look better but the #16 will last much longer

tguil
09-04-2004, 07:41 PM
I certainly agree about #16 lasting longer than S100. I used to use S100 on my black Harleys and was waxing after almost every wash. I used #16 back in the good old days before we had all of these "exotics". It`s tuff stuff and is coming back again as a topper for NXT and other sealants. However, I`ll bet that after you top NXT with #16 you won`t be able to tell the difference. NXT is easier to apply and remove that #16 so why mess with #16. Just apply another coat of NXT.

My black Hemi is sitting in the garage with a coat of NXT Spray Booster over two coats of NXT applied about a three weeks ago. It has never been blacker or smoother.

I haven`t given up on Blackfire entirely. I still have enough to last me for a couple of years. NXT is just too easy to apply and remove. I just keep buying more.

By the way I have a can of #16 that I bought back in the early 1980`s. I found it in my detailing supplies. It`s still OK to use too. :D

Tom :cool:

longarm
09-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by LouisanaJeeper

you know the NXT probably removed your blackfire right?

I would top with either S100 or the #16, the S100 will look better but the #16 will last much longer

OOPS! Hey, when I applied and removed the NXT I did it all my hand. I used a MF Applicator and a Sonus Buffing cloth to remove. I didn`t let it set that long. You really think it took off my BF? I applied the BF with the PC at about 4.5 and let it set on my car for about 4 hours before removing. My BIGGGEST question is, I have originally put a Teflon Sealant on called "Paint Proof." That stuff is rock hard and works better than anything I have ever used for protection. I used it on my car last fall all last winter never had a problem and only went to the touchless car washed. It protected all that time and still looked great. I applied that by PC and removed by hand. I let it cure about 18 hours before applying the BF. With all that in mind please tell me that the NXT didn`t take off my Teflon Sealant. I`ve got my car all preped to wax, but now I`m not touching it until I hear from yall. I don`t want to apply NXT by PC at high speed if it`s goint to go through my Teflon Coat. I`ll just stick with my nice Caranuba`s I got from DavidB here at Autipia. Thanks in advance.

LouisanaJeeper
09-05-2004, 03:05 PM
NXT has some chemical cleaners and abrasives in it. do a serch for "NXT clean* " on the forums

LouisanaJeeper
09-05-2004, 03:17 PM
... or you could verify this yourself via the "sharpie test"

draw 3-4 6" lines on your washing machine with a permanant marker. allow 5 min to dry

go over each line with a different polish you want to test. ex:

line 1: NXT

line 2: S100

line 3: #16

if the sharpie is removed or smeared, that polish will likely remove or damage a sealant you are applying over

longarm
09-05-2004, 06:55 PM
LouisanaJeeper

I`m goin out to the garage to do the sharpie test. Never heard of it before. Testing on an old refridgerator. I`ve done the search function and "NXT" brings back 101 pages of different threads. I`m still looking, but anyone that knows, please help!

longarm
09-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Ok, Originally I drew a thick line with a sharpie earlier. It say and dried for about 3 hours. I just went out there with a terry applicator and applied about a dime size amount and scrubbed. Some of it came off. I reapplied with different sections and did thig about a total of 6 or 7 times. Each time I scrubbed like hell. It`s about 97% gone. Now, with that in mind, I originaly only applied the NXT on my car by hand and did not scrub, and it didn`t set on the pain for very long. After all that, do you think my original sealant is still there? If I apply NXT with my PC, it would probably take it off because of the heat from the PC and painted surface. I just don`t want to lose my original teflon sealant because I know from prior usage how well it repels crap off the paint.

longarm
09-06-2004, 08:26 AM
****BUMP****

lpquick
09-06-2004, 08:41 AM
Stop, just stop, the test is an example of the abrasives and cleaning power of your LSP. If the marker came off at all, it`s very likely that some or all of your sealant was removed. Now do what you have to fix it.:sosad

longarm
09-06-2004, 09:09 AM
lpquick

Hey, no need to get nasty here. I am just very concerned about my car. I`m still feeling things out here as far as what to do. So, please, if your going to take that tone, take it somewhere else. I came to this website to learn and so far everyone has been great. I don`t need your aggrivation. Thank you.:wavey