PDA

View Full Version : Noob Alert! Question about towels...

BookemDano
09-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi,

I`ve been washing and waxing cars for close to 50 years. :eek: So you`d think I`d be pretty good at it, right? Well, so did I until I read this forum. Now I refer to myself by the correct term - "Newbie". :D

So here`s a newbie question... I understand the benefits of microfiber, but I`ve seen four types of microfiber towels mentioned in this forum or sold in Autopia:

- Drying Towel

- Polishing Towel

- Buffing Towel

- Detailing Towel

What`s the difference? Why so many? I can see a "Drying Towel", but what about the others? For example, is a "Buffing Towel" that much different from a "Polishing Towel"? I`d really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks and regards,

Dan.

Eliot Ness
09-03-2004, 11:12 PM
A drying MF towel is often a "waffle weave" (or ww for short), that is better at collecting the water in the little pockets.

A polish MF towel would have a little more nap to take off polish/wax.

A detail MF would have a very short (or fine) nap that makes it very good to use with QD`s (quick detailers) and final wipe downs.

Some MF`s have one side that has a plush nap and the other side has a short (or finer) nap.

Here is a site that sells good MF products and also has an FAQ section that may better answer you questions:

http://www.pakshak.com/left.html

BookemDano
09-03-2004, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I`m looking at the site now.

It looks like "Buffing Towels" are the same as "Polishing Towels".

Regards,

Dan.

a.k.a. Patrick
09-03-2004, 11:57 PM
My opinion may differ....As for the difference in "buffing", and "polishing" towels, there all "detailing" towels. Suppliers, vendors, retailers all have there own fancy names....There all generalized as "Detailing towels". Even a Waffle Weave, is a detailing towel, used by "detailers". Actual use recommendations, may be very innacurate, yet may very well be appropriate. The use of "MF`s, and what this one does vs. what that one does, is very personal, as is car care. I actually use one towel for all my needs i.e. product removal, final wipedowns, quick detailing. Its all a matter of preference.......To each their own...

Waffle weaves are generally used for drying, although, I have/carry waffle weaves very suitable for quick detailing, so go figure! Welcome to Autopia....and if you think microfiber detailing towels are hard to figure out, wait until your exposed to "polishes.".......;)

Accumulator
09-04-2004, 11:49 AM
BookemDano- Welcome to Autopia! Yeah, the names vary, but there are really only a few significant *functional* variations (some pretty big variations in quality within those categories, though). Try a few and develop your own personal preference(s). It`s not like your least-favorite ones will be a waste of money, you`ll find some good use for them.