PDA

View Full Version : Let`s talk QDs

Bill87GN
09-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Just curious as to what is so special about them. What do they contain that makes them better than a spray bottle with water? Is there really a difference between the different ones?

Which one do you guys prefer. Lately I have used Z7 and the Meguires one. I like both of them but am leaning towards the Megs one.

TIA

Mr. Chemist
09-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Quick Detailers, Instant Detailers...etc...contain lubicating agents and film forming agents that are used to safely lift and remove minor dust and then leave behind a short term high gloss shine.

They are much more than water...and yes there are differences between various companies formulations. Can you guess which one I like best?

EBPcivicsi
09-03-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Chemist

Quick Detailers, Instant Detailers...etc...contain lubicating agents and film forming agents that are used to safely lift and remove minor dust and then leave behind a short term high gloss shine.

They are much more than water...and yes there are differences between various companies formulations. Can you guess which one I like best?

I am going to guess Showtime!! Also my favorite bang for the buck QD! I only QD when the paint is perfectly clean, but showtime certainly adds a lot of gloss and depth to the paint(for a QD).

Accumulator
09-03-2004, 11:47 AM
Yep, what Mr. Chemist said :xyxthumbs

It`s sorta surprising how much protection some QDs leave behind, too. As in, you use them to clean off a bird bomb and after the next wash the area in question beads better than the rest of the vehicle. But generally, I go with them for the lubrication. And for removing polish residue (especially if it`s really stuck on there), the solvent-action of a QD works a lot better than the solvent-action of plain water.

SK2003TypeS
09-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Ahh yes, the slippery factor. That`s what does it for me with QDs. I`ve been using Showtime lately and I must say it is really slippery and does seem to add a really nice shine.

I recently picked up a 20oz bottle for $4.99 and for something so cheap, it`s been doing wonders for me. Also, it seems to be a little "thinner" than Meg`s FI and it`s easier to use for me. :nixweiss

gav'spurplez
09-04-2004, 06:49 PM
i use the eagle one wet wipe and shine, works great :D

Cam
09-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by ebpcivicsi

I am going to guess Showtime!! Also my favorite bang for the buck QD!

Even if it didn`t work as a QD, I`d buy it for the smell... :xyxthumbs

NavindraLR
09-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Cam

Even if it didn`t work as a QD, I`d buy it for the smell... :xyxthumbs

lol... thats what i was thinking...

Scottwax
09-05-2004, 12:04 AM
I`m not sure exactly what QDs consist of, but I really like how slick Quikshine makes the paint and how it removes drying streaks. :xyxthumbs

a.k.a. Patrick
09-05-2004, 02:05 AM
QS is definetly one of my top 3.......

imported_DetailGirl
09-05-2004, 11:10 AM
I too love Quickshine. My favorite still is Z7.

Not sure if it is a traditional QD even though it is labeled partly as one but I love Poorboys Spray and Wipe. I wonder how I did without it for so long.

bluemoon
09-05-2004, 12:33 PM
I do think that thier is a conspiracy between Mothers and Wrigley`s. Every time I use Showtime, I end up with this urge to find a pack of Big Red gum. Oh btw, the stuff does ad shine and slickness.:lol

Bill D
09-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by DetailGirl

I too love Quickshine. My favorite still is Z7.

Not sure if it is a traditional QD even though it is labeled partly as one but I love Poorboys Spray and Wipe. I wonder how I did without it for so long.

I`m still uncertain about this: how does QEW mixed in a spray bottle compare to S&W? If it`s close enough the QEW would be a lot more economical.

imported_perry
09-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

I`m still uncertain about this: how does QEW mixed in a spray bottle compare to S&W? If it`s close enough the QEW would be a lot more economical.

I thought about this the other day too. Not yet curious enough to try a capful of QEW w/ 32oz of water yet, but curious.

Bill D
09-05-2004, 09:49 PM
I`ve tried it, the best way I can describe it is like water with "extra cleaning abilities". Now how is S&W? I`m imagining like something in between this and FI? :nixweiss