PDA

View Full Version : Detailing a 2000 Black Mustang what to use?

BuffMUSTANG
09-02-2004, 07:54 PM
I`m going to be detailing a black 2000 Mustang. The guy is going to go to a auto show next sat. (9-10-04). What should i use? he said it has water spots and probably swirl marks. I`m not going to be able to start detailling it till about 3pm. So i figured i would wash it with dish soap, clay bar the water spots and any ruff areas (can i only do portions? or will you be able to tell i only did cetain spots after everything?) then wash it with car soap to get any remaining clay off, then swirl remover? then nxt? then S100?

Thanks... i need all the help i can get...

LouisanaJeeper
09-02-2004, 08:06 PM
sounds like you got it, I would definately clay and polish the entire vehicle, not just the water spots. Claying probably will not remove the water spots, but the swirl mark remover probably will. you might have to use a more agressive polish on the water spots to 100% remove them.. like 3M fine cut or DACP

wash it with dish soap

clay bar

rinse with water+ dry

then swirl remover, use 3m fine cut or DACP if swirl remover does not work

nxt

S100

I have a couple black mustang pics in my sig with the different products used noted in the descriptions

hirosh
09-02-2004, 08:10 PM
while it is okay to use dish soap once in a while, i don`t think it is necessary since you are going to be claying and polishing the car, which should remove any old wax.

the only way you can tell that you clayed certain areas is if the surface has a lot of containminents on it. other than that, i think the only way you can tell is when you do the baggie test, which is putting your hand inside of a zip-loc bag and gently running your hand over the surface. it should feel like smooth. if anything, clay at least the horizontal surfaces.

you shouldn`t have any clay on the surface after claying. but some people do wash their car afterwards. you could also clay while washing the car using the car soap as a lubricant, but i think you need to be sure there is enough car soap on the surface.

the clay may not remove the water spots. you might want to polish them out, or try using a water/vinegar mix.

after claying, polish, then NXT. you could top it with S100, but that all depends on whether you think it looks better with it or not. personally i think NXT by itself on black looks great. but that`s up to you. maybe do a small section and see what it looks like. oh, if possible, do two coats of NXT, preferbly 12 hours between each coat, if not, then at least 1 hour.

BuffMUSTANG
09-02-2004, 08:33 PM
i did that free Meguiars Car car RX and it said to do this.

1st-wash with gold class car wash

2nd- use meguiares Scratch X on entire car to get out swirls and water spots.

3rd- use Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish.

4th- use meguiars Gold Class wax.

I have all of these items. I will be using a 20.00 walmart orbital buffer. Will the car look good? Anyone think this is a good bet? Also, how much should i charge? I`m going to do the paint, wheels, tires, interior, engine.

Thanks for all of the help....

Sirslap2
09-02-2004, 08:33 PM
We probably need more info here.

What is your timeline? How much time do you have essentially?

Do you have a PC? I hope so.

As mentioned above, clay the entire vehicle - the term "detailing" sums it up......attention to detail....no skiping steps.

The water spots are best handled with a polish......but we need to know if you are using elbow grease or a PC.

Fill us in.

BuffMUSTANG
09-02-2004, 08:38 PM
hopefully i can get the car by 3pm.. so i will have till about 9 or so i believe. so say 5-6 on the detail.... Should be enough time. prolly cutting it close though.

LouisanaJeeper
09-02-2004, 08:43 PM
I think you should probably charge $50-$70 cause it sounds like you are sorta new to this. Once you get more expreience and a PC you would probably be able to get $150+

BuffMUSTANG
09-02-2004, 11:50 PM
can i use Scratch X with my cheap oribital buffer? or must i apply it by hand?