PDA

View Full Version : water spots

Bobbyinp
09-02-2004, 01:35 PM
hey all, I tried and really like the p21s gepc, on my 1973 pantera, however it wasnt strong enough to get out the water spots. any suggestions? I thought meguiars no. 7

membim
09-02-2004, 01:55 PM
Number 7 will probably not take out those water marks. Depending on how bad the water marks are, you`ll need to use an abrasive polish such as Poorboys SSRs or Menzerna`s polishes.

I just did a truck with horendous water etches and it took two passes of SSR3 and two passes of SSR2 before I could wax. I still only got out about 90% of the etchings.

shaf
09-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Yes, definitely something stronger than #7. That doesn`t have much correction power at all....

Try a stronger paint cleaner or scratch remover, or even a moderate strength product.

imported_turbomangt
09-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Speaking of water spots, it WAS one of my worst nightmares. One day a customer dropped off a Black Mercedes and he told me he noticed after parking his car at the air port he had these god aweful water marks on the read deck of his car, turns out they were from the water pipes leaking. In any event, I tried everything, nothing work. So I called my Ardex rep who has been in the business 35 years. He said, its not a problem, just use CLR. I said your joking right? Thinking the CLR would damage the paint. He says it is safe to use and most effective on hard water spots. Guess what, I used a small amount on a rag, and ZAPPO! it was gone in an instant. Just a quick tip to pass on and save some headaches. Gary :wavey

svanderbilt
09-03-2004, 01:20 AM
I have waterspots on my spoiler. Strangely, there are none on my decklid, even though it too had water dried on it. I surmise that it has to do with the way the paint was cured. Perhaps the car itself was cured in one of their big "ovens", but the spoiler was painted normally and applied later onto the car, so it didn`t have the same sort of cure-time or method.

Anyway, All-In-One won`t get it off, 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound won`t do it either. Maybe I`ll try this CLR...

TGates
09-03-2004, 07:46 AM
What about the old distilled vinegar trick?

Bobbyinp
09-03-2004, 08:36 AM
yup, I tried the old vinegar trick, got some out, gonna post after I try the CLR

DantePasquale
09-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Am assuming you have done a search under `water spots`. IF not, u may get some answers there.

I have had good (90% gone) success with IP and FP with PC, speed of 4 to 5.

togwt
09-03-2004, 10:45 AM
~Just one mans opinion / observations~

Surface-hard water mineral deposits that are above the paint surface, I’ve can usually remove them by using detailer’s clay to remove any hardened deposits, and then using a solvent type (Meguiar`s Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner or Klasse All-In-One) cleaner.

Below surface (etched)- remove with an abrasive machine polish

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon