PDA

View Full Version : Stock Up on Collinite

Pages : [1] 2

Accumulator
09-02-2004, 12:39 PM
If you like the way Collinite waxes behave in their current formulations, you might oughta stock up.

I was ordering some 845 Insulator for my wife`s niece and decided to ask about how the upcoming regulatory changes might impact their product line. They said that a) it *will* impact their formulations, b) they`re currently working with the supplier of their primary solvent, trying to come up with an alternative, and c) they recommend that if you like things the way they are you might want to stock up.

While they expect the new formulas to work just fine, they acknowledge that there may well be *some* functional differences due to the important role played by the solvent that is to be phased out.

If you buy in lots of six/twelve cans, they`ll give a little price break ;)

Oh, and they reiterated their previous position that although the 915 has a higher carnauba content than the 476S, they don`t believe there to be any functional difference other than the 915 being slightly easier to work with. The added carnauba in the 915 comes at the expense of other ingredients that apparently also provide looks/protection/etc. Heh heh, they weren`t gonna be forthcoming about what those other ingredients are or about the actual formulations- with all my questions they might`ve thought I was with the competition :D

They admit it`s funny, but they still recommend their less expensive wax, the 476S, over the 915. They said that unless you find the 476s too hard to use or you really like the coconut scent of the 915, the 476s is the one to use if you like paste wax.

ALAN81
09-02-2004, 01:04 PM
I bought COLLINITE and loved the 476 and 845 My friend uses the MDE 3x a year and his car looks nice MDE one of the hardest working waxes I ever used.SWEAT MY B---s off removing it

spotter
09-02-2004, 02:07 PM
The 915 needs to be removed panel by panel before it dries and then it is not very difficult to work with at all.

stevet
09-02-2004, 02:22 PM
What is more dureable 845 or 915, 476? I hear 845 (Insulator Wax) is easier to work with but does it hold up as well as the other two?

Can Insulator Wax be applied over a sealant such as Klasse SG or 4*UPP without the solvents removing the sealant?

SpoiledMan
09-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Well, this thread just cost me some more dough. I`m a paste nut and keep hearing good things about this wax so I ordered some to try before it gets changed. I`m an admitted paste nut and already have enough tins of #16 to last me like 30 years! Now I have some Collinite 915 and 476 on the way. This never stops!:(

ALAN81
09-02-2004, 04:49 PM
There is a websight that sells the the wax with no cost for shipping I just don`t have it anymore

Accumulator
09-02-2004, 04:51 PM
SpoiledMan- Yeah, I just bought enough #16 and 476S to last the rest of this lifetime :D If you avoid temperature extremes, waxes in tins stay good a very long time (I`m still using some #16 that`s at least 12 years old and my nostalgic tin of Pro Yellow from the `70s is still pretty good).

Alan81- Interesting that you found the 915 *harder* to use than 476S, that`s the opposite of what the Collinite reps said :confused:

Most paste waxes can be used like P21S ( semi-w-o-w-o), with maybe a little loss of durability. But if you put `em on very thin, you can let them set up a long time without them being hard to get off. I`ve let *thin* applications of #16 and 476s set up a *long* time and they wiped off easily with a CBT.

stevet- The most durable is the 476S. The easiest to use is the 845. The 915 (MDE) is for people who like it for whatever reasons prompt them to spend the extra for it.

Regarding the 915- The folks at Collinite imply that it`s the *smell* that really sells the 915. They *almost* go so far as to actively discourage the purchase of 915; they sure gave me the impression I`d be wasting my money to buy it instead of 476S. I find it interesting and interpret it as a) they`re pretty honest folks there at Collinite, and b) they only make 915 (or at least they only price it higher) because some people want to feel they`re getting something "better" and these same people believe that "more expensive" = "better".

SpoiledMan
09-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Yeah, when I read that the 915 had a coconut smell, I had to get it. I guess I have to admit that I like to smell wax too. Maybe I have a problem.:confused:

Living in Los Angeles also makes it pretty easy to keep products for a long time as it pretty much never freezes here and "hot" for us is 90. I keep all of the pastes that are not in use in the house and the ones I`m using in the garage where the temp still doesn`t do the extremes. To one up ya, I threw out a tin of Mother`s cleaner wax paste in a tin that I used mostly in 86-87 that had just a small crack in it after all those years.:xyxthumbs

shaf
09-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Oh no! I have always wanted to try Collinite, but never really had a burning need for it.... I guess now I`ll have to pick up a tin of that Fleetwax I`ve had my eye on... :wall

PS: According to older threads, Fleetwax (885) is reputedly the same as 476S. :D

jvcn
09-02-2004, 09:27 PM
SpoiledMan said:

"I`m an admitted paste nut and already have enough tins of #16 to last me like 30 years! "

I guess that means you have two cans! :D :D :D

couldn`t help myself...:)

SpoiledMan
09-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Err, 3!!:D

hondaguy2582
09-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Oh no! I have always wanted to try Collinite, but never really had a burning need for it.... I guess now I`ll have to pick up a tin of that Fleetwax I`ve had my eye on... :wall

PS: According to older threads, Fleetwax (885) is reputedly the same as 476S. :D

Yes, and w/e you can find cheaper(or available locally), I would buy it. Just remember, thin coats.

Scottwax
09-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Interesting. I may have to get a can to compare with #16.

imported_ajbarnes
09-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Interesting. I may have to get a can to compare with #16.

I was thinking the same thing. Speaking of #16, I just put a coat on my jeep tonight....:eek: !

ALAN81
09-03-2004, 08:14 AM
When I used Collinite(MDE) I did not put it on thin maybe that is the reason I had problems.When I used 476 since I knew the product I put it on very thin.Is there a right or wrong I dont know I only use these waxes in the late fall for durability.Like I said in a previous thread my friend wasex 3x a year with Collinite and still busts his b---s.One last thing I never go by what REPS say I always like to see for myself.