PDA

View Full Version : What`s your favorite protectant for chrome?

Pages : [1] 2

JasonD
08-31-2004, 10:44 PM
Well, we just figured out in another thread that non-acid based cleaners are best for most types of wheels, including chrome so let`s discuss what the best protectant is. So far, I`ve heard that SG is a good one, what is everyone`s favorite?

Actually, I`d like to divide the question into two parts. What is your favorite polish and what is your favorite protectant...only on chrome please since I am trying to decide what to use on my chrome wheels. :D

Scottwax
08-31-2004, 11:50 PM
I <3 Vanilla Moose on chrome. Cleans it well and leaves it shiny and slick.

NavindraLR
08-31-2004, 11:54 PM
1z chrome polish, hands down

Sveta
09-01-2004, 12:20 AM
I`ve used Mother`s stuff for bad chrome, but I too use VM on good condition chrome. Also use VM on the polished aluminum turn signals on my old R75/5.

JasonD
09-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Two questions, the 1Z polish you are referring to is the 1Z Chrompflege (metal polish)? Second, who makes VM and where can I buy it?

NavindraLR
09-01-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by JDookie

Two questions, the 1Z polish you are referring to is the 1Z Chrompflege (metal polish)? Second, who makes VM and where can I buy it?

correct, that is the 1z stuff that i am talking about, and i think vm is made my clearkote??

JasonD
09-01-2004, 09:52 AM
I just looked at the ClearKote site and was wondering why you guys liked VM over their actual metal polish?

imported_memnuts
09-01-2004, 10:24 AM
Favorite polish and protectant. - Mother`s Chrome Polish and Protectant and Klasse AIO

Favorite polish without protectant - Clearkote Metal polish (really excellent stuff):xyxthumbs

Favorite protectant with no cleaning action and durable protection: Zaino Z2 or Z5 and Klasse SG

Mr. Chemist
09-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Sorry, but I must desent....I don`t believe we have figuered out that non acid wheel cleaners are best etc.......in my opinon there is room for both types of chemistry.

For severly stained chrome wheels that have been negleted.....an acid wheel cleaner is your best bet.

For clear coated wheels an acid cleaner without HF or Phosphoric acid is highly effective and very safe to use....just as safe as any alkaline cleaner both from a health issue and an effacy issue....and frankly more effective.

Mothers Chrome Polish is very mild and is designed for folks who maintain their wheels properly...makes them pop! I see no reason to use more than one product for polishing and protecting chrome...a good one step should do both...

Once chrome goes south....there is nothing much you can do for it. It`s not really a metal in the tradition sense...it`s a plating, and once it is breached, pitted, then there is an absense of plating and there is no way to replace it. We can remove the oxide...and generally make the wheel look better but we will still have the treaded pit.

So the point is to keep em clean and polished and protected...ah yes frequency is always key.

acl99
09-01-2004, 11:00 AM
Mothers chrome polish works well, i used it on what was left of my friends wheels and they looked pretty good however i agree maintance is key. It was pretty sad seeing the chrome peeling and pitted :rolleyes: salted roads + chrome dosent seem to mix well.

6']['9
09-01-2004, 11:14 AM
poorboys propolish seems to work very well

BradE
09-01-2004, 12:04 PM
My favorite protectant is Z2. Shiny, slick + durability.

Mr. Chemist
09-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Isnt Z2 for clear coated finishes?

BradE
09-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Chemist

Isnt Z2 for clear coated finishes?

Yes. So what? It still works just fine on chrome. It lasts for months on all my chrome items, including wheels.

DETAILKING
09-01-2004, 12:24 PM
for protection.....Z2 works great on just about ANY non-porous surface. Its durability and slickness keep chrome wheels clean and protected. Keep BRAKE DUST off your CHROME WHEELS or they WILL PIT!

I found this stuff works well to return shine to dull chrome finishes.....

http://properautocare.com/nevrdull.html

Also WENOL polish works great on chrome and other steel wheels.