PDA

View Full Version : Can get car worth 18,500ish

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rudamous
08-31-2004, 09:56 PM
My mom says that when I graduate from high school that I can get a car that cost around 18,500..(same as my sister`s mustang) but she really wants me to get something new. I would rather have something RWD but I really don`t care for miatas so that kinda throws that out of the picture.

So I basically am deciding on a good FWD new car to get. After examining my options I think that for that price range I am going to try to go for a Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. Nice four door car with back seats and weighs only 2700 lbs. It has a 2.5l 4 cyl pumping out 175 hp and 180ft lbs of torque which isn`t to shabby at all. 6 Speed manual transmission and looks good. Variable intake and variable valve timing. It is really interesting to watch the variable intake

http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/ModelAttributes/0,,29344|31005|,00.html#midpageAnchor

Under variable intake system hit view and watch the way that thing flows. It`s crazy how it open up more at higher RPMs those japs just keep you on the edge. Turbo kits a readily available for this car and it already comes with really nice suspension stuff on it. I was planning on saving up and trying to go ahead and get the NISMO Cold Air Intake and strut/sway bars put on the car before I get it. What do you guys think about this decision?

meGrimlock
09-01-2004, 07:00 AM
The SE-R Spec V is a good car. Be sure to drive one to make sure you really like how it runs and drives. You might also want to talk to your mom about letting you get a certified pre-owned car. You`ll pay less than a new car, which will open your options up a little more, and they will usually come with a warranty.

Good luck looking for a car. :xyxthumbs

BoxsterCharlie
09-01-2004, 12:37 PM
I was all gung-ho toward the new econo-box for you until you started talking about mods.

I blew a lot of money on my Integra. It was fun, but at the end of the day I had no resale on my investments--and I was still driving an Integra.

Given that as IndigoGTI says the used cars are a much better value (I`d say MUCH), the only thing your mother doesn`t want is for you to have unexpected repairs.

So this is easy for me to figure out. Buy a used car of proven performance (anything from a Mustang to an M3) and budget yourself for the inevitable repairs instead of expensive mods. Think about it, would you rather throw a new clutch on an 8-year old Corvette or a Nissan which didn`t have a beefy enough clutch to handle your mods?

Here`s an example for you, and its not a Porsche (my bias :) ): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6168&item=2488531188&rd=1

progress
09-01-2004, 01:21 PM
I agree with the others that considering something not brand new is a good call in this price range too. The ebay link above is a good example of that. Got to drive one of those this last weekend a was very impressed. Guess it depends somewhat on your situation and what you`ll need the car for.

Spec V is good bang for the buck. I think the Mazda3s is a better overall car but I am very biassed. Seriously though I read up on and tested out a lot of new small cars in this price range and I have no regrets. Scion tc looks like it might not be a bad deal though the styling isn`t for everyohne. For practical purposes 5 drs was a big plus over 2 for me though. Got my 5dr hatch loaded up well for under 18,500 out the door including registration and all.

mrzeee
09-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Spec-V nice car..little plane jane looking (which is good for dodging cops, especially if you do Nismo up you car)...but I maybe a bit biased since I own a 03 350Z and my girls has an 04 Murano...

TechSol
09-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Spec-V`s are nice cars... two of my friends have them. One is built up (non-turbo) and running low 14`s, he beats another friend with an AWD TSi (Turbo)

edit: I`d also check out the new Scion TC coupe... I don`t know much about them, other than they`re 16,400 base and you can get a fully loaded one for under 18,500 probably. I saw one downtown one night and really liked it, and today I checked out this new one at my school.... VERY nice car. (hmm i know there`s a supercharged model, but no idea what it costs?)

LouisanaJeeper
09-07-2004, 08:04 PM
04` mustang GT/ Mach 1 or a used 03-04` Cobra

or a used M3 or 330ci or audi S4

Monk_04SER
09-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Get the Spec-V. :up

You can get the Nismo parts if you want. But, there are many more options that are just as good, for far less money. And, there are only two turbo kits that I am aware of. One is by PTI and the other is made by FIR. Either kit would put you in the ballpark of ~270 whp, and lighten your wallet by about 5 or 6 grand when all is said and done. If you get the Spec-V go for a 2004. Might not look as good as the 02-03`s, but they are better engines. If you want tons of info on the Spec-V check out here (http://www.b15sentra.net).

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

~Monk

smokeum
09-07-2004, 08:43 PM
If you want a very slow car then go ahead and get that.Put a big wing on it and a huge fart can.Also be sure to get a few stickers because then everyone will know you mean buisness.

imported_kgb
09-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by smokeum

If you want a very slow car then go ahead and get that.Put a big wing on it and a huge fart can.Also be sure to get a few stickers because then everyone will know you mean buisness.

:rolleyes:

Monk_04SER
09-07-2004, 10:39 PM
I agree with 2001civicex

The majority of spec-v owners don`t believe in the fast and the furious rules for life (wish i could find that pic again). They care about what it can do on the track. This car is mean on the auto-x circuit. Now, if only we can break into the 12s.

imported_kgb
09-08-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Monk_04SER

I agree with 2001civicex

The majority of spec-v owners don`t believe in the fast and the furious rules for life (wish i could find that pic again). They care about what it can do on the track. This car is mean on the auto-x circuit. Now, if only we can break into the 12s.

Some people watched the Fast and Furious one too many times is all and think that every import owner wants huge wings and vinyl graphics on the side of their cars. But, usually those people drive Mexican built domestics that are good for going in a straight line or turning left for 500 miles. ;)

Scottwax
09-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Honestly, your best bet would be a 2002 Maxima with a 6 speed. Much quicker than the Spec V and much more upscale interior.

smokeum
09-08-2004, 11:39 PM
I think a 04 gtp would be the best bet if you dont want a V8.They are the fastest car in its class, even the 04 maxima.They also cost alot less.The new ones also Have forged pistons.They have 260 hp and i think 280 pounds of tourqe.There are some that have already ran high 14`s completely stock.I just dont understand why people want to buy a 20,000-25,000 foreign car and then go put another 5 grand in it to get it in the 13`s.If i had 25 grand to spend id buy a 03-04 cobra or a 2001-2002 Trans Am.A stock 03-04 cobra is cappable of running high 12`s and a T/A is cappable of low 13`s.Actually id probably find a nice T/A and mod the hell out of it and have a 20,000 11 sec car.Also parts for a domestic car is gonna be half the price of a forein car.

SpoiledMan
09-08-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by smokeum

I think a 04 gtp would be the best bet if you dont want a V8.They are the fastest car in its class, even the 04 maxima.They also cost alot less.The new ones also Have forged pistons.They have 260 hp and i think 280 pounds of tourqe.There are some that have already ran high 14`s completely stock.I just dont understand why people want to buy a 20,000-25,000 foreign car and then go put another 5 grand in it to get it in the 13`s.If i had 25 grand to spend id buy a 03-04 cobra or a 2001-2002 Trans Am.A stock 03-04 cobra is cappable of running high 12`s and a T/A is cappable of low 13`s.Actually id probably find a nice T/A and mod the hell out of it and have a 20,000 11 sec car.Also parts for a domestic car is gonna be half the price of a forein car.

But the guy only has $18,500 or so to spend so these all blow his budget.