PDA

View Full Version : Waxing Question

SaturnGuy
08-31-2004, 03:40 AM
Hey guys,

Im just wondering if my technique for waxing my Saturn is ok. I live on the side of the street where my driveway is always in the sun, I have no way of avoiding the sunlight. Therefore I wax in direct sun most of the time. I have no other choice. I apply my wax to a terry cloth and wipe it on. Then I remove my wax with paper towel. Just wondering what you guys think of my methods. It seems to leave a great shine:up Oh yea I have a dark green saturn and I use Turtle Wax Green Color cure. No prep at all, just the wax, then I remove it with paper towel.

A friend of mine waxes his car like crazy. He`ll put a polish on, followed by the new NXT, and then puts on a wax called #16. This guy is crazy.

I think my shine with Green Color Cure and removing it with paper towel is just as good of shine and the paper towel just removes the wax beautifully. I figured I would ask you guys what you think of the techniques...since you seem to know alot about cars.

Thanks.

hirosh
08-31-2004, 05:28 AM
to sum it up, no.

clicking on the `learn` button at the upper right hand corner, and reading the articles in the `detailing how-to series` is a good place to learn about detailing. or talking to your friend might also help.

this link might also help.

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=29

here`s a small exercept from the above link:

1. Work in a shaded area out of direct sunlight.

2. Use a foam or terry cloth applicator pad to apply your wax.

3. When the applicator becomes caked with wax, switch to a fresh applicator.

4. Work on one area at a time covering 2 to 4 square feet. Some products may allow you to coat the entire car before buffing off, but most do not.

5. Follow the wax manufacturer`s instructions on whether or not to allow the wax to dry (haze) before buffing.

6. Use a small amount of wax at a time, and rub it in well. If you use too much wax, you`re wasting the product and your time. If the wax residue does not buff off easily, switch to a clean wipe towel.

7. Apply your wax in a back-and-forth motion, not in circles. If you are creating swirls, you need to replace your applicator or towels.

hope this helps.

btw, you could call all of us crazy because we do what your friend does, and even more. ;) and post a picture of your car, i`d love to see it. :)

imported_mirrorfinishman
08-31-2004, 06:18 AM
It sounds like you are able to get good results with the techniques you are currently using. After all, you didn`t mention any surface appearance problems created by your methods. I find it interesting that you would choose to use paper towels for wax removal. However, in order to improve your process you may want to use terry towels, which are much softer than paper towels, for wax removal.

Remember, it`s all about getting good results. That`s what counts the most. Then it is simply a matter of constantly improving your process. And I am sure the good folks here at Autopia will always be willing to offer you helpful information so that you can get even better results.

Thanks for a good post!