PDA

View Full Version : need a rotary recomendation

Pages : [1] 2

Thomas Dekany
08-30-2004, 08:09 PM
What rotary should I get? My birthday is coming up in early October and that is what I want. Many of the cars I am detailing are in bad shape.

Thanks for any input.

Bill D
08-30-2004, 08:20 PM
FWIW, I decided on the Dewalt. I like the rpm right on the dial, it is heavier than the Makita though due to its all metal internal parts

jimmybuffit
08-30-2004, 08:32 PM
With just a touch of sarcasm, I wonder if the Search Engine would work for this topic?

You can spend from $25 to $325. What do YOU need?

`Best` is in the eye of the detailer...

Jim

thinksnow
08-30-2004, 08:57 PM
Here`s the setup I grabbed a while ago. Add some LC pads and you`re Golden Grahams.

Makita 9227 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001GUE8Q/ref=pd_sbs_hg_1/002-8065409-0564807?v=glance&s=hi&n=507846)

To be fair, I haven`t used any other rotary models.

Thomas Dekany
08-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit

With just a touch of sarcasm, I wonder if the Search Engine would work for this topic?

You can spend from $25 to $325. What do YOU need?

`Best` is in the eye of the detailer...

Jim

I looked/searched but didn`t see any of the pro detailers recommending any of them per se.

I am looking at the PC 7428, Makita and Dewalt.

I want to save time detailing. With the 7424 the cars I get to detail are in need of lots of care and takes me too long.

Money is not an issue.

Thanks though.

Thomas Dekany
08-30-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

FWIW, I decided on the Dewalt. I like the rpm right on the dial, it is heavier than the Makita though due to its all metal internal parts

Thanks Bill for your reply.

Thomas Dekany
08-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by thinksnow

Here`s the setup I grabbed a while ago. Add some LC pads and you`re Golden Grahams.

Makita 9227 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001GUE8Q/ref=pd_sbs_hg_1/002-8065409-0564807?v=glance&s=hi&n=507846)

To be fair, I haven`t used any other rotary models.

Thanks thinksnow - that is a good price too.

Decisions decisions.

SpoiledMan
08-30-2004, 09:51 PM
I have the Black N Decker version (old school Dewalt) that has been flawless over more than 8 years. I like the speed being right there on the little wheel.

Bill D
08-30-2004, 09:52 PM
If money is no issue the Metabo,Fein and the Milwaukee are the most expensive.

Thomas Dekany
08-30-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

If money is no issue the Metabo,Fein and the Milwaukee are the most expensive.

But do I need the most expansive?

Bill D
08-30-2004, 10:28 PM
The Makita or the Dewalt are used by some of the most respected pros in the industry but all are worth checking out for yourself

jimmybuffit
08-31-2004, 05:40 AM
I have two rotaries, both are used everyday.

The $300 Fein is VERY lightweight, and quite similar to the PC in size and design/layout. a real pleasure to use on lengthy projects. Electronic speed control keeps it constant, regardless of pressure.

The $25 Chicago Electric is heavy, large, and cumbersome. It has a traditional design/layout. It will bog down (and even stop!) with pressure while doing heavy compounding.

Given equal speed, pads, and polish, both machines can accomplish equivalent tasks.

The CE is great for the `weekend warrior`.

The Fein is a `must have` for the busy professional.

Jim

Accumulator
08-31-2004, 11:19 AM
I got a Makita after talking with pros who`ve used theirs (day in, day out) for many years without having any problems. I used a Milwaukee back in the day and you`d better try holding it for a while (not just ten minutes) before you buy *that* one (think "heavy"). Regarding the Fein, some of us don`t *like* the ergonomics of PC-like polishers; I just happen to like how a rotary/Cyclo feels a lot better. Getting something that`s similar in layout to a PC would be the wrong choice for me. And the bogging down thing would be a real turnoff for me. Seems like just one more variable to contend with. But then I`m sorta a tool-nut, quality is something I truly appreciate for its own sake.

panapower
08-31-2004, 11:39 AM
Its fast as hell and the weight on it is perfect so you dont have to DIG into the paint. The only thing I dont like about it is that the pads are so huge they dont work well on front bumpers and the air dams. Other than that I love my dewalt and being that i got it for 150.00..Yeah... I`m not gonna pass that up. ;)

Accumulator
08-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by PanaPower

.. The only thing I dont like about it is that the pads are so huge they dont work well on front bumpers and the air dams.

Couldn`t you just get a smaller backing plate and pads? I use 4" ones on the Makita all the time. Or do you mean even smaller than that?