PDA

View Full Version : UPP Recommendations PC or Hand???

Pats300zx
08-30-2004, 09:47 AM
I am going try some UPP on my silver 4Runner this weekend. I was wondering what the forum consensus was for applying it. Would it be better by PC and a finishing pad or by hand????

Any other tips on removing it?? This is my first experience with UPP so sorry for all the questions.

I plan on prepping the car with Megs #80....

TIA

Gonzo
08-30-2004, 10:31 AM
I have only applied UPP by hand using a 4" foam applicator. I also use EO W&S as a pad "primer", at the start and throughout the job, about every third dime sized dap of UPP on the pad. I fold the misted pad and UPP in half slowly to smear it about and then put it on the paint. Wait about 1/2 to 1 hour then wipe it off with MF.

This method helps to get the UPP on VERY THIN. I have seen no ill effects compared to using UPP alone.

groebuck
08-30-2004, 10:35 AM
by PC with a white edge pad @ 3~3.5 - this allows you to get a really uniform thin coat for layer one (if you plan to layer more).

Additional layers should go on by hand (true of any sealant) becuase even at lower speed the pc/pad combo could be stripping the previous layer.

When doing it with the PC if you have the Platinum UGE mist the pad with that a little to make is spread that much thinner - if not keep they pad dry (don`t use another QD) as any moisture interfears with the bonding process.