PDA

View Full Version : How to clean smeared glass.....

jlfrogy
08-30-2004, 09:27 AM
I have a friend with an older Honda and he has this smeared looking glass that nothing we have tried will clean. So far he has tried clay bar and cleanser plus all the usual glass cleaners anybody got any ideas??

Lowejackson
08-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Any idea on what the smear is from

jlfrogy
08-30-2004, 10:24 AM
Not a clue. Could be well water, not sure. I surely thought cleanser would do the job though, NOT!!!!

Lowejackson
08-30-2004, 10:32 AM
As a first step, I would try vinegar. Normally a 50:50 ratio works very well but as you seem to have problems try it neat. If possible soak a cloth towel or similar in vinegar and place it on the glass, leave it on for an hour or so and then rinse with water

Mr. Chemist
08-30-2004, 10:50 AM
Believe it or not....Chrome Polish....now, I don’t mean that old fashioned brown really gritty stuff...we have used ours to clean the windows at drag races...quick and effective...even gets rid of the shoe polish they write on the windows with.

jfelbab
08-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Smearing is frequently caused by using an ammonia based cleaner like Windex. Other contributors to smearing include vinyl fog, road grime and oils and smokers. Try wiping it down with a terry towel wetted with vinegar. Follow with Stoners IG or Meguiar`s Glass Cleaner Concentrate and remove with a micro fiber.

SVR
08-30-2004, 05:58 PM
My technique for the car I just got which does not have tinted windows was to clay, then autosmart glass glow (ash based, not chalk)

This removed everything and I finished off inside and out with three coats of Klasse SG. The results are awesome and the heavy rain test the other night was extremely impressive. Never used the wipers once, the rain formed into really tiny beads.