PDA

View Full Version : Using QD on other brand`s sealants

meruyailir
10-24-2004, 05:43 AM
Is it OK to use QD from one brand on sealant from another? For example I use 4* Ultimate Gloss enhancer on EX-P. Will it strip off the EX-P? Yes, yes, maybe a silly question. I`m a newbie.

MattZ28
10-24-2004, 05:53 AM
It will work fine.

awd330
10-24-2004, 09:34 AM
Using UGE on top of EX-P will be fine.

There are some situations where you would not want to use certain QD/sealant combos. These mostly have to do with situations where you plan to layer multiple coats of sealant on top of each other. In those cases, you`ll want to make sure that the QD spray will not inhibit proper bonding of the next layer of sealant. QDs containing silicone or carnauba wax will most likely result in sealant bonding issues. When in doubt, use the DC search feature or post a question asking for member input on your planned combo.

BookemDano
10-24-2004, 09:47 AM
I used Menzerna FMJ on my wife`s bight red `05 Subaru Forester. Unfortunately Menzerna doesn`t make a QD. So when I decided to try Zaino products, I ordered Zaino Z6 QD. (Very nice stuff, BTW.)

When I applied it to my Audi, it works very nicely over Zaino Z5. Actually improves the shine and slickness.

When I applied it FMJ on my wife`s Forester, it worked very nicely too. Shine impoved slightly and maintaned the slickness. But last weekend I noticed that the FMJ surface wasn`t beading water after only two weeks.

So is the native FMJ at fault or some interaction with Z6? I don`t know.

Go native if possible to prevent interactions.

Regards,

Dan.

rmaurin
11-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Hi Dan,

I have been using FMJ on my red Saab. I love it. It has a nice wet look.

I have also been looking for a QD for the car. I have tried Clear Pearl. Works well, but the car looses the wetness of FMJ. It kind of looks flat. I washed the car.

This afternoon, I emailed Dwayne, and asked him if Four Star Gloss Enhancer would work with FMJ. He said it should since both FMJ and 4*GE are water based.

I was a little skeptical so I did the door jambs with 4*GE. Looked pretty good. I crossed my fingers and did the trunk lid. (The worst that could happen is that it looked horrible and I would wash my car) I got to tell you. I was totally floored with the look. Wet and deep. I think it may have even looked better than the FMJ. I did the entire care. The car looked great. Deep, wet, glossy, WOW!!!. I called my wife out to the garage to take a look. She agreed that the car now looked much better (to our eyes) than before.

I suggest you try the Four Star Gloss Enhancer. I think you will like it quite a bit. I think this is the best QD for FMJ.

Regards,
Rich Maurin

BookemDano
11-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Rich,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, it`s a bit late. My wife`s car is coming out of the body shop tomorrow (accident) and I`m stripping off the FMJ and replacing it with Zaino Z5 (2 coats) followed by Z2 (2 coats). I might skip Z5 and go straight to Z2.

With the winter coming, I want to apply something that requires minimal maintenance until spring. Minimal maintenance = weekly/bi-weekly washing, QD with Z6, dusting with CCD every 2-3 days.

Thanks for the great feedback, though. In spring, when I have more time, I`ll get some Four Star Enhancer and try FMJ on the Subie.

Regards,

Dan.

Holyghostfilled
11-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Hi Dan,

I have been using FMJ on my red Saab. I love it. It has a nice wet look.

I have also been looking for a QD for the car. I have tried Clear Pearl. Works well, but the car looses the wetness of FMJ. It kind of looks flat. I washed the car.

This afternoon, I emailed Dwayne, and asked him if Four Star Gloss Enhancer would work with FMJ. He said it should since both FMJ and 4*GE are water based.

I was a little skeptical so I did the door jambs with 4*GE. Looked pretty good. I crossed my fingers and did the trunk lid. (The worst that could happen is that it looked horrible and I would wash my car) I got to tell you. I was totally floored with the look. Wet and deep. I think it may have even looked better than the FMJ. I did the entire care. The car looked great. Deep, wet, glossy, WOW!!!. I called my wife out to the garage to take a look. She agreed that the car now looked much better (to our eyes) than before.

I suggest you try the Four Star Gloss Enhancer. I think you will like it quite a bit. I think this is the best QD for FMJ.

Regards,
Rich Maurin

I completey agree! I detailed a `03 Infiniti G35 Sedan yesterday and the 4*GE just added the cherry on top! Unfortunately it`s going to rain today...(mixed feelings...live in AZ and we need rain but kinda difficult to display a clean (polished) vehicle)

If your using UPP its a must! :bigups :onthespot :jump
Will post my first detail job as a citizen of DC :dcrules as soon as I figure out how to paste pics.

Daniel
:ghost