PDA

View Full Version : Glanz Wax with a PC

Pages : [1] 2

imported_jaobrien6
08-29-2004, 11:16 PM
A while ago I stated in another thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38832 ) that I didn`t think GW worked very well with a PC as it was too easy to apply too much, and therefore could be very difficult to buff off.

Well, I am changing my mind. I decided to try again today, and I found it to work very well. I used a LC finishing pad, shook the tin of GW, put the pad on top of the opening, turned it upside down and then back right-side up again very quickly, to put one "dot" of GW on the pad (it soaks in immediately). That is approximately enough product to do about half a panel or so (I think it soaks into the finishing pad quickly). At first, it seems that you put too much on (you can actually see the GW pooling on the surface some), but you just keep working it, and keep spreading it around. Once it`s completely hazed over, and you`ve worked it to a nice thin, even layer, it wipes off super easily with a MF.

I don`t think it`s any quicker than by hand, since you have to work the GW a little bit to make sure it`s not on too thickly anywhere, but I think I used less product and know it was less tiring.

So, for anyone who gave up on GW with a PC `cause it was too difficult to get a thin layer, try again. Once you get the technique right, it works very well.

Sorry, no pics. The digicam had a dead battery when I finished, and it was dark by the time I got it charged up. Sorry!

John

Accumulator
08-30-2004, 10:43 AM
That sounds like a good way to do it with a PC. I use a similar method when I apply KSG by machine; I hold the pad facing down and shake the bottle upwards to deposit a small "dot" of product. Figuring out how to dispense the product can be a big part of getting the whole machine-application process right.

imported_jaobrien6
08-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Ahh, that sounds like a good idea. I didn`t think of trying that, but that`d probably work even better.

Thanks!

John

Jesstzn
08-30-2004, 11:03 AM
I have applied GW with my cordless Orbital ... much the same as my posting about SG under power WooWoo. I have a bottle like they use for eye drops that I put the GW in then I put 4 dots around the outside and one in the middle of a 4" pad to start then as needed I add 3 dots.

This little cordless has been the best thing I have ever bought for wax/sealant application.

percynjpn
08-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Sounds interesting, but I don`t think I`ll be changing over to that method as hand app. with a foam applicator is already so darn easy.

imported_Intermezzo
08-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

This little cordless has been the best thing I have ever bought for wax/sealant application.

Same here. Applying a quick coat of sealant or wax is unbelievably quick and the application is nice and even, making removal a breeze.

Since I have my cyclo to complement my cordless, I haven`t applied anything by hand for quite some time now.

imported_jaobrien6
08-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Interesting... could either of you post a link to the orbital you`re using? Do they take a threaded backing plate like the PC? If not, what do you use for pads?

JOhn

Jesstzn
08-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by jaobrien6

Interesting... could either of you post a link to the orbital you`re using? Do they take a threaded backing plate like the PC? If not, what do you use for pads?

JOhn

Here is the one I use .. I think its made by Wen .. They go on sale up here for $70 often. You can buy 4" foam pads for them for 4/$12 and I have even used the LC pads on it. 4" is a nice contollable size and gets into most areas.

Cordless (http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253437430 2194951&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395348027&bmUID=1093887992753&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442708749&assortment=primary)

imported_Intermezzo
08-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Meguiar`s Cordless Orbital (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detail.cfm?sku=G-1)

Mine is made by Nikota, relabeled for Meguiars. I highly recommend it, if you don`t mind paying the steep price. Otherwise, you might be better off finding a good deal on e-bay or opting for the less expensive one sold at TOL.

Jesstzn
08-30-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

Meguiar`s Cordless Orbital (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detail.cfm?sku=G-1)

Mine is made by Nikota, relabeled for Meguiars. I highly recommend it, if you don`t mind paying the steep price. Otherwise, you might be better off finding a good deal on e-bay or opting for the less expensive one sold at TOL.

Thats the same as mine but I didn`t get the case .. just different color and relabled .. I can usually apply wax / sealant to 2-3 cars on a battery charge. I applied NXT to a 65 Impala in less than 15 minutes. That is a *BIG* car.

I even take it to car shows with me for minor scratch touch up if needed .. It was my sole Orbital and will do the job if your car is in excellent shape.. not great if you have any amount of correction to do.

A also like it cuz the 4" pads fit in most paste wax cans, you just lay the pad on the wax and give the trigger a quick hit and its loaded.

imported_Intermezzo
08-31-2004, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the info. Just a quick note.... for those trying to decide which to get, my polisher actually uses 6" pads....the 4" pads would be too small for the plate on the Meguiar`s polisher. Not saying one is better than the other.... just noting a difference.

When applying wax, I just pop the paste out of the can (asi DavdB`s article) and apply it like a marker on the finishing pad. Using this method (along with Jesstzn`s method) *IMO* allows for even faster application than with a liquid product.

TortoiseAWD
09-01-2004, 09:22 AM
For anyone interested, the Nikota cordless buffer crops up on e-bay with some regularity, usually going for around $40-50. I just bought one yesterday; it was only $20.99 for the "Buy It Now" price, and I sprung for priority shipping in hopes of having it by the weekend. It was still < $35, with two batteries, new in box. :up

Tort

kg/cm²
09-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

For anyone interested, the Nikota cordless buffer crops up on e-bay with some regularity, usually going for around $40-50. I just bought one yesterday; it was only $20.99 for the "Buy It Now" price, and I sprung for priority shipping in hopes of having it by the weekend. It was still < $35, with two batteries, new in box. :up

Tort

Sweet Tort!...thanks for the info...with all this cordless talk from everyone, I`ve been jonesing for one too...:up

imported_jaobrien6
09-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Yeah, for that kind of money, I might have to pick one up to try it out.

Thanks!

John

TortoiseAWD
09-01-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by kg/cm²

Sweet Tort!...thanks for the info...with all this cordless talk from everyone, I`ve been jonesing for one too...:up No problem. Actually, I need to thank you guys for bringing up the topic again at just the right time. I`ve been keeping an eye on e-bay for the Nikota for a few months now, and the recent talk prompted me to go check again yesterday. Got lucky; the one I bought is the cheapest I`ve seen it go for that didn`t have a ridiculous S&H charge tacked on top.

I`m looking forward to giving it a try . . . I live in an apartment, so I frequently wash and wax in the coin-op parking lot (blast off the big stuff, then QEW in the lot). I prefer to apply LSPs by machine, and I`m hoping this little gizmo will fit the bill for the quickie wax job when I`m away from electricity.

Tort